Smoke Detectors...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skidmarx

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what Smoke Detectors are best for Lipo fires? Searching found there are 3 types of smoke alarms on the market: ionization, photoelectric and a combination of both. However, my searching really hasn't shown which type is most use full in the event of a lipo fire or if either are any good. Does anyone have a link showing info on this topic, or maybe work in the fire industry that has knowledge about this?

Thank you

Smoke detectors are good but I think the most important thing is to have your lipos sitting on concrete with at least 3-4ft. clear space around them to contain the possibility of anything else catching fire. That way you can be sure that, whichever type of smoke detector you have, you're just being informed that a lipo went up and not that you must death sprint with a firehose so the rest of the house doesn't burn down. But perhaps someone else can answer your specific question because I can't. That's not in my wheelhouse. :)

Anyone know what Smoke Detectors are best for Lipo fires? Searching found there are 3 types of smoke alarms on the market: ionization, photoelectric and a combination of both. However, my searching really hasn't shown which type is most use full in the event of a lipo fire or if either are any good. Does anyone have a link showing info on this topic, or maybe work in the fire industry that has knowledge about this?

Thank you

I wonder if by the time the detector went off it might be a little too late. 🤔

If you are worried about it, get yourself a LIPO storage case/bag. I do commercial fire alarms for a living, and we use Ionization smoke detectors in all buildings.
I would suggest against getting the bags a 2s 2200mah lipo can easily burn through them.

A bat safe or ammo can is much better.

I would suggest against getting the bags a 2s 2200mah lipo can easily burn through them.

A bat safe or ammo can is much better.
Have you actually had one catch fire? I never have... made one poof up when I was replacing a connector (wasn't thinking and cut the red and black wire at the same time and shorted it).

I keep a battery powered one in each of my ammo cans. Just whatever I found on a shelf at Walmart. A little extra insurance that helps me sleep at night.
1000001133.jpg

Thank you
I would imagine a smoke detector does what it's supposed to do .detect smoke.i mean I don't think you need a special kind .I have normal one next to my lipo safe bags and I press the test button one time a week .plus I put in fresh batteries in .like mentioned have your lipos in a safe bag and in a ammo box on the concrete/basement if you have one.i have a old tool chest by craftsman and I have them all in the lower level .I lined the whole inside with fire retardant Refresill for extra protection.better be safe than sorry.plus a garden hose near by ready .I also told my wife and kids what to do Incase something happened and gave them a lesson on how to use the fire extinguisher that's also in the location .and I removed any combustibles away from that area.not much more we can do but hope and pray nothing happens.and never store fully charged lipos.i found one that was puffed and I got rid of it.good luck bud
I keep a battery powered one in each of my ammo cans. Just whatever I found on a shelf at Walmart. A little extra insurance that helps me sleep at night.
View attachment 263323
Not sure if I would keep it inside ..only saying because let's say God forbid there is a fire that smoke detector will only alarm you untill it also goes up in flames then it's out .. maybe placing it on the outside would make more sense.besides that smoke detector also has a battery which would just add to more melting and reamember that detector is made from plastic.which would cause a harmful gas if its part of the fire.i say take it out place it out side.just my opinion
I would imagine a smoke detector does what it's supposed to do .detect smoke.i mean I don't think you need a special kind .I have normal one next to my lipo safe bags and I press the test button one time a week .plus I put in fresh batteries in .like mentioned have your lipos in a safe bag and in a ammo box on the concrete/basement if you have one.i have a old tool chest by craftsman and I have them all in the lower level .I lined the whole inside with fire retardant Refresill for extra protection.better be safe than sorry.plus a garden hose near by ready .I also told my wife and kids what to do Incase something happened and gave them a lesson on how to use the fire extinguisher that's also in the location .and I removed any combustibles away from that area.not much more we can do but hope and pray nothing happens.and never store fully charged lipos.i found one that was puffed and I got rid of it.good luck bud

Not sure if I would keep it inside ..only saying because let's say God forbid there is a fire that smoke detector will only alarm you untill it also goes up in flames then it's out .. maybe placing it on the outside would make more sense.besides that smoke detector also has a battery which would just add to more melting and reamember that detector is made from plastic.which would cause a harmful gas if its part of the fire.i say take it out place it out side.just my opinion
Also I don't know what kind of a sleeper you are or anyone in your house hold but if your a heavy sleeper that alarm might be muffled by keeping it in that box..and you might not even hear it.and those gasses might knock you out before your even able to respond.

Last edited:
Smoke detectors are good but I think the most important thing is to have your lipos sitting on concrete with at least 3-4ft. clear space around them to contain the possibility of anything else catching fire. That way you can be sure that, whichever type of smoke detector you have, you're just being informed that a lipo went up and not that you must death sprint with a firehose so the rest of the house doesn't burn down. But perhaps someone else can answer your specific question because I can't. That's not in my wheelhouse. :)
I'm no expert either. I have each lipo in its own Bat-Safe. Plan on getting them into a couple of all metal storage cabinets. On the outside I want to have a smoke detector. If the smoke detector sounds off the camera next to it will go off and alert me with a video on my phone. The smoke detector will also be tied into 3 other decetectors throughout the house - and all 3 will go off it does. Also have a 5 gallon bucket of sand near by. Like to have a fire extinguisher for lipos but those are in the $800 range. I realize it's not the best system but I'm trying!
Thanks for your reply and imput my friend. It's much appreciated!

Chemical fire extinguishers would be handy. A few of them.

To answer your question. Get a smoke detecter that uses both systems. Smoke is smoke. One kind has to see the smoke, the other detects quicker. Have one with both systems and not battery powered if in out of the way place. They make them will flashing storbe lights and loud horns. Some are so high pitched they can be hard to hear for some folks. Also make them now that network so if one goes off they all do. Early detection is better then non. Problem with them is when the battery goes dead and no one knows. That is the biggest failing of smoke detectors. Those in know can tell tales of life lost because of a dead battery in smoke detecter.

I'm no expert either. I have each lipo in its own Bat-Safe. Plan on getting them into a couple of all metal storage cabinets. On the outside I want to have a smoke detector. If the smoke detector sounds off the camera next to it will go off and alert me with a video on my phone. The smoke detector will also be tied into 3 other decetectors throughout the house - and all 3 will go off it does. Also have a 5 gallon bucket of sand near by. Like to have a fire extinguisher for lipos but those are in the $800 range. I realize it's not the best system but I'm trying!
Thanks for your reply and imput my friend. It's much appreciated!
That's all good thinking..your prepared..that's better than not being prepared..so yeah your doin 👍

To answer your question. Get a smoke detecter that uses both systems. Smoke is smoke. One kind has to see the smoke, the other detects quicker. Have one with both systems and not battery powered if in out of the way place. They make them will flashing storbe lights and loud horns. Some are so high pitched they can be hard to hear for some folks. Also make them now that network so if one goes off they all do. Early detection is better then non. Problem with them is when the battery goes dead and no one knows. That is the biggest failing of smoke detectors. Those in know can tell tales of life lost because of a dead battery in smoke detecter.
Dunno, I've never had a smoke detector that didn't start chirping every 30 seconds once the battery is run down to a certain level. The chirping is loud and annoying enough so as to make ignoring it impossible.

I wonder if by the time the detector went off it might be a little too late. 🤔
Probably!!! Peace of mind I guess. But who knows if it a smoldering fire first maybe it would be helpfull. I storage charge my lipos to 3.75v because the latest research from the airlines and others shows at 3.75v lipos usually don't catch fire. They swell and smolder.
Thanks for your input and reply my friend. 😊

Have you actually had one catch fire? I never have... made one poof up when I was replacing a connector (wasn't thinking and cut the red and black wire at the same time and shorted it).

Oh god I did that the first time I ever changed connectors on a lipo I about had to change my shorts.

This is one of many videos showing how lipo bags are ineffective.

Chemical fire extinguishers would be handy. A few of them.

A normal ABC will suffice. Ala Google Small lithium batteries contain very little lithium, so they can be doused with water. To put out large lithium-ion battery fires, use a foam extinguisher containing CO2, powder graphite, ABC dry chemical, or sodium carbonate.

Last edited:
Dunno, I've never had a smoke detector that didn't start chirping every 30 seconds once the battery is run down to a certain level. The chirping is loud and annoying enough so as to make ignoring it impossible.
And if not home for several days or just ignore it or expect the landlord to take care of it. They do go dead and are not replaced, sad.

And if not home for several days or just ignore it or expect the landlord to take care of it. They do go dead and are not replaced, sad.
I'm almost 50 and I've never had that happen. I guess I'm one of those weird fruit loops that just puts a new battery in a smoke detector when it tells me the battery is going low. I can't ignore the chirping. I'm the biggest child in the world. But if someone can't be a grown up for five seconds and replace the battery in a smoke alarm, then maybe they deserve to have their house burn down, just out of principle.

My experience. Old discharged or mostly discharged lipo's produce a lot of smoke and not a lot of flame. My old batteries are left to set for some time then shot with air pellet several times to be sure they will not start a landfill fire. Most of what I get is smoke. One time had a new fully charged battery that had to be destroyed. WOW AND WOW. Lots of flame and lots of heat and smoke. Lesson, do not store batteries fully charged. If they go off, they produce a lot of flame and heat. Does impress one how much energy they can store.

Those bag test on you tube are make by overcharging a lipo until it blows, Not a real world test of bags. Made for view count not for really what it is like. Just like a new, non real car posted on YouTube, can believe all you think you see. Stored batteries will produce a lot of smoke for some time and likely not enough heat to do a lot of damage, so smoke detector could be a very valuable early warning help.

For a real world test, Next time you have a bad battery, change to storage level then hit with hammer or air pellets and see what happens. Videos can be found of hitting a lipo with hammer and then hold in hands by leads.
I'm almost 50 and I've never had that happen. I guess I'm one of those weird fruit loops that just puts a new battery in a smoke detector when it tells me the battery is going low. I can't ignore the chirping. I'm the biggest child in the world. But if someone can't be a grown up for five seconds and replace the battery in a smoke alarm, then maybe they deserve to have their house burn down, just out of principle.
They say to replace on a holiday or special date like anniversary every year. Have had bad detectors go bad and never chrip. Why they say to test them to make sure they still work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back