Smoke Detectors...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience. Old discharged or mostly discharged lipo's produce a lot of smoke and not a lot of flame. My old batteries are left to set for some time then shot with air pellet several times to be sure they will not start a landfill fire. Most of what I get is smoke. One time had a new fully charged battery that had to be destroyed. WOW AND WOW. Lots of flame and lots of heat and smoke. Lesson, do not store batteries fully charged. If they go off, they produce a lot of flame and heat. Does impress one how much energy they can store.

Those bag test on you tube are make by overcharging a lipo until it blows, Not a real world test of bags. Made for view count not for really what it is like. Just like a new, non real car posted on YouTube, can believe all you think you see. Stored batteries will produce a lot of smoke for some time and likely not enough heat to do a lot of damage, so smoke detector could be a very valuable early warning help.

For a real world test, Next time you have a bad battery, change to storage level then hit with hammer or air pellets and see what happens. Videos can be found of hitting a lipo with hammer and then hold in hands by leads.

They say to replace on a holiday or special date like anniversary every year. Have had bad detectors go bad and never chrip. Why they say to test them to make sure they still work.
Yeah, of course. I guess "use common sense" was my overarching point. If people can't be bothered to put in the tiny amount of effort required to make sure that basic things like smoke detectors are in working order...well, I don't know what to tell those people. If they can't take care of that, what hope do they have of handling lipos in a safe and responsible manner?

Yeah, of course. I guess "use common sense" was my overarching point. If people can't be bothered to put in the tiny amount of effort required to make sure that basic things like smoke detectors are in working order...well, I don't know what to tell those people. If they can't take care of that, what hope do they have of handling lipos in a safe and responsible manner?
Thankfully most of those are too lazy to go outside and run an rc. Stuck indoors on games or hooked on TV. Takes some effort to learn lips and rc cars. One reason some RTR come with the other cheap batteries.

My experience. Old discharged or mostly discharged lipo's produce a lot of smoke and not a lot of flame. My old batteries are left to set for some time then shot with air pellet several times to be sure they will not start a landfill fire. Most of what I get is smoke. One time had a new fully charged battery that had to be destroyed. WOW AND WOW. Lots of flame and lots of heat and smoke. Lesson, do not store batteries fully charged. If they go off, they produce a lot of flame and heat. Does impress one how much energy they can store.

Those bag test on you tube are make by overcharging a lipo until it blows, Not a real world test of bags. Made for view count not for really what it is like. Just like a new, non real car posted on YouTube, can believe all you think you see. Stored batteries will produce a lot of smoke for some time and likely not enough heat to do a lot of damage, so smoke detector could be a very valuable early warning help.

For a real world test, Next time you have a bad battery, change to storage level then hit with hammer or air pellets and see what happens. Videos can be found of hitting a lipo with hammer and then hold in hands by leads.

They say to replace on a holiday or special date like anniversary every year. Have had bad detectors go bad and never chrip. Why they say to test them to make sure they still work.

That bag test I showed he didn't overcharge the battery he just drove a nail in it when it was fully charged he even states this in the video.

Last edited:
If you are worried about it, get yourself a LIPO storage case/bag. I do commercial fire alarms for a living, and we use Ionization smoke detectors in all buildings.
Interesting! Ionization! Thanks for your input my friend. It's much appreciated.
That was my thought as well and why I wrote what I did. The best fire is the one you never have.
I agree. However if you can catch it while smoldering it may be beneficial. Plus a smoke detector is needed in the area anyway. Wasnt able to find what the experts recommend surfing the net. 😊
I do agree... a smoke detector won't help much in this situation besides letting you know to get out of your house because it is burning down. PREVENTION is key.
Couldnt agree more. Prevention is defiantely the key and beleive a detector is part of prevention. At least for keeping damge to a minium. If the lipo is smoldering first a detector may help. Need one in the area anyway so may as well use one that meets the needs of a lipo bad event. 😊

Last edited:
I would suggest against getting the bags a 2s 2200mah lipo can easily burn through them.

A bat safe or ammo can is much better.
I believe the same. The bags aren't the answer. Maybe for small lipos. Ammo cans or Bat-Safe. 😊
Have you actually had one catch fire? I never have... made one poof up when I was replacing a connector (wasn't thinking and cut the red and black wire at the same time and shorted it).
Thank God no! Had 2 puff. They were small 2s. Just looking to be pro-active. 😊
I keep a battery powered one in each of my ammo cans. Just whatever I found on a shelf at Walmart. A little extra insurance that helps me sleep at night.
View attachment 263323
I have ammo cans to. You probably know to remove the rubber gasket! Thats a whole nother story. I also use the Bat-Safe. Thanks for the reply. 😊

Last edited:
I would imagine a smoke detector does what it's supposed to do .detect smoke.i mean I don't think you need a special kind .I have normal one next to my lipo safe bags and I press the test button one time a week .plus I put in fresh batteries in .like mentioned have your lipos in a safe bag and in a ammo box on the concrete/basement if you have one.i have a old tool chest by craftsman and I have them all in the lower level .I lined the whole inside with fire retardant Refresill for extra protection.better be safe than sorry.plus a garden hose near by ready .I also told my wife and kids what to do Incase something happened and gave them a lesson on how to use the fire extinguisher that's also in the location .and I removed any combustibles away from that area.not much more we can do but hope and pray nothing happens.and never store fully charged lipos.i found one that was puffed and I got rid of it.good luck bud

Not sure if I would keep it inside ..only saying because let's say God forbid there is a fire that smoke detector will only alarm you untill it also goes up in flames then it's out .. maybe placing it on the outside would make more sense.besides that smoke detector also has a battery which would just add to more melting and reamember that detector is made from plastic.which would cause a harmful gas if its part of the fire.i say take it out place it out side.just my opinion

Also I don't know what kind of a sleeper you are or anyone in your house hold but if your a heavy sleeper that alarm might be muffled by keeping it in that box..and you might not even hear it.and those gasses might knock you out before your even able to respond.
Thanks to everyone to have responded. I wasn't sure what smoke detector was best in case of a lipo fire or if it was smoldering. Did some searching and was suprised that I couldn't find any info or documentation on this subject. 🤔
To answer your question. Get a smoke detecter that uses both systems. Smoke is smoke. One kind has to see the smoke, the other detects quicker. Have one with both systems and not battery powered if in out of the way place. They make them will flashing storbe lights and loud horns. Some are so high pitched they can be hard to hear for some folks. Also make them now that network so if one goes off they all do. Early detection is better then non. Problem with them is when the battery goes dead and no one knows. That is the biggest failing of smoke detectors. Those in know can tell tales of life lost because of a dead battery in smoke detecter.
I beleive, and will check again, that I couldn't find a dual sensored smoke detector that had wifi or wireless linking. I will do some more research for maybe I missed them. Read somewhere that a new standard for smoke detectors was coming out in the fall of this year. Haven't seen anything different yet.
Thanks for your post back to me. 😊

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone to have responded. I wasn't sure what smoke detector was best in case of a lipo fire or if it was smoldering. Did some searching and was suprised that I couldn't find any info or documentation on this subject. 🤔

I beleive, and will check again, that I couldn't find a dual sensored smoke detector that had wifi or wireless linking. I will do some more research for maybe I missed them. Read somewhere that a new standard for smoke detectors was coming out in the fall of this year. Haven't seen anything different yet.
Thanks for your post back to me. 😊
Buy a few parrot 🦜🦜🦜 and keep them by your lipos.teach the parrots to scream out the words
Fire
Fire
Lipo in fire
Wake the fk up
Buy a few parrot 🦜🦜🦜 and keep them by your lipos.teach the parrots to scream out the words
Fire
Fire
Lipo in fire
Wake the fk up
No batteries needed for this type of alrm

Anyone see the discussion of electrical cars fires? Fire departments have no way to put them out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back