Snapped motor shaft Kraton 8s, pinion shaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chop35

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Kraton 8S yes snapped the shaft that the pinion bolts to. Would like to replace it if possible, any ideas where to buy this?? Can’t answer how this happened, my brother borrowed it... without asking... and it wasn’t his fault... thanks for listening.?

Kraton 8S yes snapped the shaft that the pinion bolts to. Would like to replace it if possible, any ideas where to buy this?? Can’t answer how this happened, my brother borrowed it... without asking... and it wasn’t his fault... thanks for listening.?

Any pictures?

Been there done that. X-Maxx stock motor. 1600xl motor first run on 8s
82760285-791B-4D30-8001-1D23BB8C09AD.jpeg
FFF57F57-5334-422A-8950-BFC4DE191EC5.jpeg

That's pretty impressive . . . I'd check if Armma will warranty it. Hard to imagine that could happen absent some defect in the shaft.

Warranty claim? What did you do for it to snap?
Idk what you need to do to snap a motor shaft honestly?
Simple. I tell people a lot of it here. 2 metal gears vs a rock that gets in between? Well, the rock isn’t giving up. And those metal gears aren’t giving up either. Next weakest link? Motorshaft. That’s why back in the day I always did my best to convince people to stick with plastic spur gears in any truck that came with a plastic spur. Now I know that the kraton cant come with a plastic gear, but it is a showcase of what happens when one isn’t present. As long as you mesh your gears correctly a plastic gear should last indefinitely anyway (well, until a rock comes in, then the plastic gear strips... better than a shaft snapping imo)

Simple. I tell people a lot of it here. 2 metal gears vs a rock that gets in between? Well, the rock isn’t giving up. And those metal gears aren’t giving up either. Next weakest link? Motorshaft. That’s why back in the day I always did my best to convince people to stick with plastic spur gears in any truck that came with a plastic spur. Now I know that the kraton cant come with a plastic gear, but it is a showcase of what happens when one isn’t present. As long as you mesh your gears correctly a plastic gear should last indefinitely anyway (well, until a rock comes in, then the plastic gear strips... better than a shaft snapping imo)
A Plastic spur is no good for high powered 6S+ 1/8 scale and bigger. Look at the Redcat Kaiju and that OE plastic spur as one example. Replacing the plastic spur almost every run if you just look at it, No rocks needed. And you cant find one because everyone scoops them up as a regular consumable part. But Redcat does stupid things like that.
Meshed correctly means nothing here. Makes no sense IMHO. The OP needs to warranty the motor. It should not break in general. It just failed. That's all.
Motor is Junk. No Armatures are available that I know of .:cool:
Probably no ones fault. Its a fluke failure IMHO... HH warranty it... Not to fuel any fire here, but to be honest, you would not be here if your brother did not take it without your permission. RC's don't usually break by themselves when they are on the shelf minding their own business. Its very easy to abuse these High powered rigs, especially when its not your $900. rig. These can be very dangerous to people and property in inexperienced hands. Maybe you got off easy?:LOL:
If HH doesn't warranty it, then maybe your brother should give you the $120. for a new Firma motor?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/firma-brushless-motor-1250kv-6.5mm-bullet/SPMXSM1200.html

Last edited:
A Plastic spur is no good for high powered 6S+ 1/8 scale and bigger. Look at the Redcat Kaiju and that OE plastic spur as one example. Replacing the plastic spur almost every run if you just look at it, No rocks needed. And you cant find one because everyone scoops them up as a regular consumable part. But Redcat does stupid things like that.
Meshed correctly means nothing here. Makes no sense IMHO. The OP needs to warranty the motor. It should not break in general. It just failed. That's all.
Motor is Junk. No Armatures are available that I know of .:cool:

Probably no ones fault. Its a fluke failure IMHO... HH warranty it... Not to fuel any fire here, but to be honest, you would not be here if your brother did not take it without your permission. RC's don't usually break by themselves when they are on the shelf minding their own business. Its very easy to abuse these High powered rigs, especially when its not your $900. rig. These can be very dangerous to people and property in inexperienced hands. Maybe you got off easy?:LOL:
If HH doesn't warranty it, then maybe your brother should give you the $120. for a new Firma motor?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/firma-brushless-motor-1250kv-6.5mm-bullet/SPMXSM1200.html
I tried to bold the section:
Now I know that the kraton cant come with a plastic gear, but it is a showcase of what happens when one isn’t present. Hoping you wouldn’t miss it. The argument isn’t “why op should use a plastic gear” it’s “why arrma should use a plastic gear”. Things like the traxxas revo 2.0 run a plastic gear just fine. I’ve had it for years man, only went through 1 because the pinion backed off and stripped half the gear off ?‍♂️ If it’s properly meshed, it’s not a consumable. And I drive my trucks hard hard.

Redcat is notorious for making low quality rcs why would you even try to argue against me using one of their trucks??

But tbh, if they were to run a plastic spur gear, it’d obviously have to be very beefy (like the traxxas revo spur gears) and they’d have to redesign a lot of the braces and carriers at the center of the truck so... better off that they keep it metal.

@DoNoHarm,
plastic spur gears have their place In 1/10 scale electric. Lightweight, spool up faster etc. And yes quieter, if that even matters?(y) I have many 1/10 rigs ,nitro and electrics, using 32P thru 64P plastic gears. They have their place here. And plastic gears simply cannot handle high temps and loads found in larger scale rigs.
Plastic is not for hardcore bashing 6S+ 1/8+ rigs weighing 18+ pounds. Plastic is inappropriate for this application. The industry backs this up, by not using plastic.
Your plastic spur gear theory does not apply to the, OP, @chop35 here. That a rock/stone caused the armature shaft breakage and a plastic gear would have prevented this.
If you are familiar with the 25 pound K8S center diff. module, you can see that the spur is well shrouded, FWIW. The OE Firma motors' 5mm shaft is undersized IMHO. It is not in keeping with other 1/5 8mm motor shafts. That OE motor is a 1/6 motor. The 5mm motor arm. being the weak link.
I can only agree that we disagree on this topic.(y):cool:

@DoNoHarm,
plastic spur gears have their place In 1/10 scale electric. Lightweight, spool up faster etc. And yes quieter, if that even matters?(y) I have many 1/10 rigs ,nitro and electrics, using 32P thru 64P plastic gears. They have their place here. And plastic gears simply cannot handle high temps and loads found in larger scale rigs.
Plastic is not for hardcore bashing 6S+ 1/8+ rigs weighing 18+ pounds. Plastic is inappropriate for this application. The industry backs this up, by not using plastic.
Your plastic spur gear theory does not apply to the, OP, @chop35 here. That a rock/stone caused the armature shaft breakage and a plastic gear would have prevented this.
If you are familiar with the 25 pound K8S center diff. module, you can see that the spur is well shrouded, FWIW. The OE Firma motors' 5mm shaft is undersized IMHO. It is not in keeping with other 1/5 8mm motor shafts. That OE motor is a 1/6 motor. The 5mm motor arm. being the weak link.
I can only agree that we disagree on this topic.(y):cool:
I respect the opinion bro ?‍♂️ I agree to disagree, makes things quicker that way too lol.

@DoNoHarm,
I know this is geared towards the k8s, but I've been running the same plastic spur in my ERBEv2 on 6S (same motor/esc as my outcast 6S, max6/blx2050kv) with similar top speeds. For about a year. I need to weigh the two trucks... the ERBEv2 may be a bit lighter, but I was even running the same 3.8" trenchers on it. Oddly, it's diffs have held up better than my outcast, which I switched it's tires to the stock backflips.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back