Kraton Snapped wing mount screw??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well it was eventually going to happen. I landed on the wing and snapped the screws that hold it in place. One came off because it was sheared off but the other one I’m having trouble getting it out m. Any suggestions to help me remove it. Thanks again.

image.jpg

You'll have to remove the shock tower to be able to grip the screw stub with pliers or vice grips and twist it out.
I figured I would but the majority of the screw is sticking out on the other end could I try taking it off from that side? Or is it just easier to remove it and work it that way??

You'll have to remove the shock tower to be able to grip the screw stub with pliers or vice grips and twist it out.
This take the shock tower off and you should have a good 4-5mm nub to grab onto.

Best to use longer screws and lock nuts at the ends. So next time the bent screws will be easier to deal with as well and won't strip out the Bulkhead. Or you will need a new bulkhead and much more wrenching to do. How is your bulk head now??
Many do this mod. Use only quality 12.9 grade Steel screws. Like stock. Still the strongest. This is a comon thing. Normal with driver error. As you get better driving, this will happen less. If the screws did not brick, you would have probably bent the tower???
How is your tower. Is it bent? Check that also. You can hammer it straight on a block of would with a Sledge hammer if need be. Won't be perfect, but fine enough for bashing.

I figured I would but the majority of the screw is sticking out on the other end could I try taking it off from that side? Or is it just easier to remove it and work it that way??
You already have the wing mount off, it's only 2 more screws holding the shock tower on, you don't have to remove the rear camber links you just need to move the shock tower out of the way.
Best to use longer screws and lock nuts at the ends. So next time the bent screws will be easier to deal with as well.
Many do this mod. Use only quality 12.9 grade Steel screws. Like stock. Still the strongest. This is a comon thing. Normal with driver error. As you get better driving, this will happen less.
I really wish the Arrma would redesign this with either 2 screws on each side or at least make the screw M4 instead of M3.

Best to use longer screws and lock nuts at the ends. So next time the bent screws will be easier to deal with as well and won't strip out the Bulkhead. Or you will need a new bulkhead and much more wrenching to do. How is your bulk head now??
Many do this mod. Use only quality 12.9 grade Steel screws. Like stock. Still the strongest. This is a comon thing. Normal with driver error. As you get better driving, this will happen less. If the screws did not brick, you would have probably bent the tower???
How is your tower. Is it bent? Check that also. You can hammer it straight on a block of would with a Sledge hammer if need be. Won't be perfect, but fine enough for bashing.
yes I could have leveled it out but was caught looking at it fly through the air 😂😂😂these are some great suggestions. Everything looks good the hot racing wing mount took the brunt of the impact

image.jpg

Oof looks like that metal transferred the force right to your shock tower. Check out the 3DRC TPU wing mounts.

I hear they are the best 👌.

Oof looks like that metal transferred the force right to your shock tower. Check out the 3DRC TPU wing mounts.

Yep ^^^

@NewKratonuser0311 he posted about that here, and I replied the same before seeing this post. Never use metal wing mounts, hey, I learned the hard way as well.... glad we have a great support group here (y)

Any advice if using titanium screws for the wing mount/bulkhead connection would be preferable over 12.9 steel screws?

+1 👍
Any advice if using titanium screws for the wing mount/bulkhead connection would be preferable over 12.9 steel screws?
12.9 is stronger
+1 👍

12.9 is stronger
I've used these. Any length available
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1128424651...var=414441762518&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS

Thanks!

Thinking about it...maybe 12.9 isn't ideal since it may snap instead of bend? Stainless steel screws might be worth a try..?
They are all very strong. 12.9 being the highest tensile strength, then Ti, then SS.
Someone else could chime in but Arrma doesn't use 12.9 hardware & aftermarket kits usually don't either. I've replaced critical screws on mine w 12.9. Steering, shocks, mounts, etc. Ti is great & strong just so $$.

I've used 12.9 screws for the wing mount/bulkhead connection. Still, one of them snapped today.
I've ordered the POS wing mount, let's see how that one holds up...

I've used 12.9 screws for the wing mount/bulkhead connection. Still, one of them snapped today.
I've ordered the POS wing mount, let's see how that one holds up...
Maybe SS would be best in your application. I have some on my Kraton. But I have a 3drc printed wing mount on my Notorious & have bashed the fool out of it, no problems. I'm not sure what the POS one is though

SS is nice since it does not rust but the metal is so soft.. I have stripped them a few times..

I don't use them anymore.

Back