Typhon Snow tires for my Typhon 3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really haven't run them enough to say how well they work. I did go out the other day and there was plenty of snow on the ground. But it had melted a bit and was a very heavy wet sticky snow that weighed my car down so much it was driving like crap. I'd like to take it out on a nicer day to give my true opinion
But mechanically, no issues with rubbing or clearance in general?

Yes,they would fit.but to big,heavy thou.much bigger than a buggy tire.would break rear diff fast with these

View attachment 185035
I have heavy Pro-Line Trencher belted HP tires on my Typhon 3s, and I have no issues with the diffs. I pulled the diffs out the other day to install the Hot Racing aluminum diff yokes, and the diffs looked like brand new.

If ya run 4s I'm surprised although they are under 5in,but trenchers are heavy.ive always ran my slipper tight too.theres alot of flex in driveshafts an if slipper is adjusted correctly the diffs won't get that initial power shock that strips them..

Hmm, those look a lot like 'Louise LT3331SB for Traxxas', did they work well? I've been eyeing these and LT3330SB that share the following specs:
  • Fits: Traxxas Maxx (and other trucks with 17mm hex)
  • Diameter: 136.4mm
  • Width: 70.2mm
  • Hex: 17 mm
  • Bead-Lock Rim Color: Black
  • Wheel Off-set: +1/2”
  • Tire Compound: Soft
  • Tire Technology: MFT (limits ballooning/tire expansion)
@typhonnoob - ok so I just looked up those Louise LT3331SB and you're 100% right. They look just like 'em. My question to you is, how in the world did you know about those tires? Are you located in Europe?

@typhonnoob - ok so I just looked up those Louise LT3331SB and you're 100% right. They look just like 'em. My question to you is, how in the world did you know about those tires? Are you located in Europe?
Duratrax and Louise sell the same product with different names.

I had Googled 17mm hex wheel and tires, stumbled upon Louise, followed by stumbling into this thread. Also, yes, northern Europe.
Duratrax and Louise sell the same product with different names.
That explains things. I'm ordering LT3330SB right now.

Okay, got the wheels about a week ago. They are 22% larger in diameter and double width. I knew that there are risks. Also, the LT3330SB are more than a little wobbly but not quite bad enough for me to return them. If there weren't a pandemy, I think I'd return them to the seller.

The good: It's awesome in snow.

The bad: The 550 Mega Brushed motor has let out smoke but still actually works. The smell is so bad that I fear the hobby may suffer a PR disaster at home. I'm getting a 60A brushless 3250kv combo.

😅

Time to give the snow tires a new go, but this time with a brushless system. The battery in the picture is a home made 2S LiFePO4, made from 32700-size "Liitokala" -brand cells that came with soldering tabs welded. Also thinking of making a 2S4P pack out of 33A 18650-size cells. The downside of LiFePO4 is lower voltage but the rest are only positivies.

1643181741843.png

Time to give the snow tires a new go, but this time with a brushless system. The battery in the picture is a home made 2S LiFePO4, made from 32700-size "Liitokala" -brand cells that came with soldering tabs welded. Also thinking of making a 2S4P pack out of 33A 18650-size cells. The downside of LiFePO4 is lower voltage but the rest are only positivies.

View attachment 195368
Let us know how it goes!

Let us know how it goes!
As of now, I've been unable to make heads nor tails out of programming the ESC cut-off voltage so we are three seconds in to full throttle in a generous amount of snow, followed by stopping dead when cut-off kicks in. It's umpteen times more fun but immensely frustrating. I'm ordering a programmer for the ESC right now.

Stay tuned!

I recently saw a video that suggested switching to NIMH mode when running in cold/snow. The cold makes batteries cut off too early. I haven't tried it yet and you have to be very careful. If you run too long you'll go past cutoff and risk a lipo fire.

I recently saw a video that suggested switching to NIMH mode when running in cold/snow. The cold makes batteries cut off too early. I haven't tried it yet and you have to be very careful. If you run too long you'll go past cutoff and risk a lipo fire.
Yeah, I would not attempt that with LiPo. Those buggers are ill-tempered.

I do have NiMh-packs and LFP though which will require a lower cut-off than LiPo so I will try to remove the cut-off entirely, but I'll still have to be very careful to not damage them.

I suspect that I need to get LiPo-packs any way...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back