So can someone help explain 3s to me...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3s is 3 cells in a lipo battery, 4s is 4 cells and so on. A 3s truck runs on 3 cells, 4s truck runs on 4 cell lipos, and so on. You can also run 2 cell lipos in a 3s truck. 2,3, and 4 cell lipos in a 4s truck. You can't run 6 cell lipos in a 4s truck with 4s electronics. Hope I explained this well enough.

Just to add - each LiPo cell is 3.7 volts nominal so when you talk about “s”, the more “s”, the more voltage - so a 3s vehicle has a motor/electronics that are optimized for 11.1 volts and a 6s vehicle for 22.2 volts.

The "s" is for series (as opposed to "p" for parallel). In the early days of lipos, power outputs (c ratings) were relatively low - an easy way around this was to hook up two cells in parallel.

These days, modern lipos don't usually need multiple cells in parallel, but see for example the 4s2p batteries produced by turnigy with a consequentially high c rating. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...tery-pack-w-xt60-connector-roar-approved.html

The higher the s rating, the more voltage that battery kicks out because the more cells it has in series. I like to think of these things in terms of the flood gates analogy:

Capacity (Mah) = how much water you have
Potential difference (Voltage) = how fast you can push the water through the gate
Current (Ampage) = how wide you can open the gate

https://cnx.org/contents/gOGKAj3k@2/Electricity-Water-Analogy

And more voltage = more power, so a 3S lipo will give you more power than a 2S. As mentioned above your electronics must be able to handle it.
And the more power the more likely to break stuff.

Not to scare you away from the larger LiPo's @TyphonDAD202Q, but if you're just starting out in the hobby I would suggest a lower cell count. You'll still have loads of fun and will be a little less likely to break things.

And you should read up on storage voltage for LiPos.
The short of it is that you should never keep LiPo batteries at full charge (4.2 v per cell) or at a discharged value like 3.6v.
When stored they should be kept around 3.8v. Your charger should have a storage mode on it.

LiPo batteries can catch fire if not cared for properly. They sell LiPo safe bags on Amazon very cheap. I recommend keeping your batteries in a LiPo safe bag, just to be extra cautious.

This all sounds like a lot but after you do it a few times it just becomes habit.

Thanks guys yall are great and I definitely agree with the smaller battery right now as I've already had to replace a few parts. But I've gotten used to using the bigger cell batteries now that I can handle it better.
This is my battery charger I read the paperwork was it and look some stuff up online about it but I don't know if it has a storage mode

Attachments

• 16195899815191005309467836025545.jpg
    16195899815191005309467836025545.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 35
Thanks guys yall are great and I definitely agree with the smaller battery right now as I've already had to replace a few parts. But I've gotten used to using the bigger cell batteries now that I can handle it better.
This is my battery charger I read the paperwork was it and look some stuff up online about it but I don't know if it has a storage mode
Hey buddy - I don't sure one of these chargers. I sure someone who does will pipe up!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back