Granite So far pretty decent.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K4L4M1TY

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
Well I have now had my Granite Voltage for a few days, been lots of fun so far. Running it on a gensacearespammers 5000mAh 2s and the little thing is going well for my first time into decent offroading. There is just a couple of small things I would like to note that while not affecting the performance of the car are nagging issues that maybe should be addressed.

Firstly running this car on 2s has been great(haven't bothered with the supplied li-ons yet) but after recommendations and deciding to get the battery that I did, it seems almost impossible to use the battery holder with it. There seems to be nowhere to place the balance cable with its large plug connector end and short cable connecting to the battery. I made sure when researching my purchase to know what to look out for eg bullet connection batteries wont work but did not expect to have to excessively bend the cables just to get the battery in even without the holder. Perhaps this is something that should be looked into if/when a revision for this model comes around. I'm scared that I will end up breaking one of the cables on the battery eventually.

Secondly, not a big issue but after the first run I noticed and others have shown in reviews that the body paint around the mounts was wearing off. Like I said not a big deal but now there's a spot next to all four mounting posts that has already worn through to the clear body. 20c worth of foam tape around the holes would probably sort this issue but it's too late for mine :(.

Lastly I had purchased a spare 19 and 25 tooth Pinion as I was interested in getting some more speed out of the little thing if/when I felt confident with it. After one day of driving it around getting used to it I decided that I would throw the 19 tooth pinion in and see how it goes. After realising it would be much easier with the wheel off(lol I know, should have watched the tutorial video first), I tried to undo the wheel with the supplied wrench. Either the wheel was on excessively tight or the little tool supplied is just not up to the job, it flexed out and stripped on the very first try. Not a big deal for me, a mechanic with plenty of tools lying around but honestly was a bit underwhelming considering this is an entry level car and every other rc hex tool i've had has never done this granted most where metal though. Would have been quite disappointed though if I did not have anything else to get the wheel off.

Other than these small gripes it has been a fun little car that has held up ok so far, I did run it today with the 25 tooth pinion but it got far too hot for my liking in just 5 minutes of running, I could feel the heat through the body above the motor and could smell it so i'll be going back to the 19 tooth pinion later as that seemed to be fine and nowhere near the levels of heat shown today on the 25. I am also looking at maybe upgrading the motor/esc to 4300kv/60amp brushless setup for the hell of it but I wish that there was metal spur gear upgrade for it as I think that will be the first thing to break if/when I do go for a brushless setup. Either way i'm not too fussed as if it breaks I guess that will be a reason to look at my planned next upgrade car, the Kraton 6s. Otherwise, loving the car and design innovations you guys have come up with and hope for nothing but success in your future ARRMA.

20180404_142340.jpg 20180404_142444.jpg 20180404_142432.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up. I've also had a chance to try out my Granite Voltage this past week. So far, I've only run a 6 cell Nimh battery. Not the fastest truck, but good enough for my intentions. Handles quite a bit better than my 2wd Stampede, that's for sure. It seems like a terrific choice for a newcomer to the hobby, or someone looking for a low cost basher. I'll be looking forward to reading your future assessment on this truck, as it seems not too many owners have chimed in on it yet.

Took it out today to my local BMX track which was upgraded recently, surface wasn't the most RC friendly but still provided oodles of fun. Gave it quite a beating and nothing broken so pretty happy as I was a little worried after a couple hard hits and spills. Little sucker is very well balanced jumping, didn't have any issues launching it and was easy to land.

So now I am looking to get the diff working a bit better as it really likes to lift a wheel when turning hard and then it just peels out the powered wheel. My buddy told me thicker diff oil would help this so I am wondering what a suitable upgrade viscosity would be? Other than that it handles great for a 2WD truck and I am very impressed with how grounded it is even when I try to throw real sideways. Next up I will be ordering a cheap brushless motor/esc combo, anyone have any suggestions on a suitable kv rating/esc amp rating that's not overboard and going to instantly kill the plastic drive gears?

I found this little cheapy on ebay and other than maybe an excessive kv it looks like what I may get for it.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4300KV-...601533?hash=item2aa51a773d:g:M-MAAOSw10haqinw

Anyways here's a video of my run today, not the best quality but you get the idea haha. Will hopefully get time to get out and make some more with my camera on a proper mount as this was just mounted to my controller so I could get some closer footage and keep track of it on such a large track, enjoy.

That seems like a lot of KV for a MT.

If you want moderate power (but still a good bump over the stock brushed motor) an long run times, I'd consider one of the F540 motors. These are actually 380L motors in a can with deep fins, to make them 540 size (F540 = Finned540). No they won't have the brute torque of a proper 3650-can motor, but they make a lot more power than brushed 540 motors.

I have one in 3000kv, and have run it in a 2wd 1/10 buggy, and a 1/10 2wd SCT. It pushed both around great, the SCT (ECX Torment) ran about 30mph with it, with good acceleration. I am hoping to get that same motor into my Granite Mega 4x4 this weekend and see how it does in a 4wd MT.

My review (with links and video of the Torment) -
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2713040-Racerstar-F540-45A-ESC-combo-Review

About that Racerstar ESC - It ran smooth and cool, till I got it wet. Then Poof, smoke time. So it is NOT waterproof. I complained to my guy at Banggood, and he said it was "Waterproof Motor" and "Esc" not "Waterproof motor and ESC" LOL...

Great advice Jerry-rigged. A 380 sized motor in a 540 can would be a lot more forgiving to the drivetrain. Especially because these Voltage trucks don't have a slipper clutch to relieve stress. As for the diff, I'm thinking it wouldn't be tunable unless it's sealed. At this price point, that would be surprising. I suppose it's possible to lock it with putty if needed, at the expense of poorer turning performance. Or perhaps it can be sealed with some RTV or similar "gasket maker" type sealant.

With unsealed gear diffs, I have had good luck with coating the gears with nice sticky auto bearing grease. That will slow down the diff action a lot. I did this back in the day with my old Tamiyas. Don't put the bearing grease on the drive gears, only the internals.

I ran a 2s lipo for the first time in my Granite Voltage yesterday. Really wakes that 20T motor up! I'm surprised how much pep it has. I ran for 20 minutes straight and the motor was barely warm to the touch. Still running the stock 17t pinion. So far, I'm impressed with what you get for $139 completely RTR. I hope Arrma can stay afloat with all that's happened with Hobbico lately. They are really delivering some nice RCs at very attractive price points accross the board.

I now realise that converting to brushless I would have to basically change all the electronics in this car. What would be the chances that the stock esc could run say a 15t brushed motor? I would rather save more money towards a better car than spend extra just to get this car slightly faster.

I have been looking at this: https://www.onestoprchobbies.com.au...ObjectPath=/Shops/onon2863/Products/AB2310060

That's a good question. I can't find motor limit specs on the 3 in 1 esc unit used in these anywhere.

Would be good if someone from arrma could chime in and let us know the specs of this esc.

i emailed Arrma a month ago or so and they responded by saying that they weren't given the specs by the manufacturer. I bought this truck for my daughter and for the price I am super impressed so far.

Does anyone have managed to fit proper LiPo battery in that cradle? Just bought second battery with connectors welded on top side and it is still impossible to fit. Haven’t been able to find any battery that will fit :( I already think that I have to cut that a bit

Does anyone have managed to fit proper LiPo battery in that cradle? Just bought second battery with connectors welded on top side and it is still impossible to fit. Haven’t been able to find any battery that will fit :( I already think that I have to cut that a bit

I came to the same conclusion, but I assume that it would have to be cut where the first two li-on batteries would sit and for the sake of selling it in the future I don't want to do that. Looks like the only one i've seen fit is the one they use in their own video which isn't a very common brand here in Australia. I have resorted to just running the battery without the cradle, scratching it up but it's in there quite firmly so I guess it should be fine.

PS: my problem is an extra large balance cable connector, it's 2 to 3 times larger than the deans plug itself so I have no way of getting it in there without cutting at least one of the li-on battery mounts out.

Last edited:
I came to the same conclusion, but I assume that it would have to be cut where the first two li-on batteries would sit and for the sake of selling it in the future I don't want to do that. Looks like the only one i've seen fit is the one they use in their own video which isn't a very common brand here in Australia. I have resorted to just running the battery without the cradle, scratching it up but it's in there quite firmly so I guess it should be fine.
With my gensacearespammers 4000mah battery it is quite tight and it bends those wires but let’s hope that won’t kill my battery. I am bit disappointed with that cradle/battery hold and at least they should have told that most of the 2s batteries won’t fit.

i emailed Arrma a month ago or so and they responded by saying that they weren't given the specs by the manufacturer. I bought this truck for my daughter and for the price I am super impressed so far.
I think I might just go ahead and get a slightly better motor and see what happens.

PS: my problem is an extra large balance cable connector, it's 2 to 3 times larger than the deans plug itself so I have no way of getting it in there without cutting at least one of the li-on battery mounts out.
Are you talking about this semi transparent piece? If so, I can take these off on my batteries to reveal a "normal" balance plug.
upload_2018-4-17_12-43-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-17_12-43-8.png
    upload_2018-4-17_12-43-8.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 41
Are you talking about this semi transparent piece? If so, I can take these off on my batteries to reveal a "normal" balance plug.
View attachment 17996
Yep, after looking closer I just realised that, didn't look at the side with clips obviously haha. Might actually fit now, though it does still require some unfriendly bending of the power plug which doesn't feel good.

Yep, after looking closer I just realised that, didn't look at the side with clips obviously haha. Might actually fit now, though it does still require some unfriendly bending of the power plug which doesn't feel good.
I can't really be of any further help as I don't have a Voltage, nor have I even seen one in real life. I just saw your post about the large balance plugs and figured they were the same clips that I had to remove from my batteries to get them to work in my 1/16 Revo and thought I would help you out with that issue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back