Typhon So I’m thinking about turning my typhon into a speed run car. Tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@GMballistic
I really love these sorts of threads. We are shortcutting your learning curve by at least 1 year and $300.
Not exagerating...
agreed except for the $300 part. i spent like $1000 with truck in my first week doing my speed run rig and that was just motor, esc, wheels, spool, bearings, cap pack... lol speed run is not for the faint of wallet...
and i didnt even finish it to make passes!!!!! so mad props to @GMballistic and @LibertyMKiii for getting the job done...

make sure you have a $hit ton of money to throw at it...

Lol if I had a $hit ton of money I’d buy the 8s kraton ? but I’ve got enough to start and eventually get myself there. Mark my words I will eventually hit 100mph I’ve got the speed itch lol!
Really your ride height is predominantly set using the droops screws (grub screws located in the wishbone/A-arms) but moving the shock positions as well as spring collar adjustment does have some effect.

My springs are "Hot Racing" upgrade springs designed for the Arrma Nero. Can't remember exactly but they're like 4x stiffer than the standard springs Typhon springs.
Spec here: https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=NRO6509;c=1019

Some info here on suspension set up: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/stiffer-shock-springs-limiters-etc-for-speed-runs.11318/

I know it's a long read but literally every single thing I did is in my build thread but I'm more than happy to keep chipping in on this thread if you have anymore questions etc. (y)

Okay cool. And yes I know I will have more questions so I really appreciate you’re help! I started scrolling through your build log, it is a ton to read lol and I wish there was a way to see what you posted about the build an filter through everyone else’s random comments hahaha but I’ll definitely be using that as a learning tool to ??

Last edited:
Few suggestions/ideas below @pa_fullsend .

Tyres: GRP (S3-S7 compound) ~ I use S3's
Centre diff: Remove completely replacing with a spool & spur gear (Arrma Limitless spool is your best option as @LibertyMKiii said).
Front & rear diffs: Heavier fluid in both front & rear ~ I use Core RC 100K weight in both.
Suspension: Stiffen standard springs using collar adjustment or replace for stiffer springs. Adjust ride height to lower (using droop screws & spring tension). Very important: Set a rake angle on the car with rear higher than front ~ install limiters to guarantee that the rear cannot go lower than the front. Heavier damper oil in shocks (see my thread for more info).
Decent battery: 6S "Turnigy Graphene Panther" 5000mAh or higher (NB; you will need to modify your battery tray to fit it comfortably as well as adjust your body shell height. If you don't want to do that then I'd recommend a 6S "Turnigy Nano-Tech Plus" 5000mAh which will fit without any modifications).

Click on my "Build Thread Contributor" banner or follow the link here for my Typhon build thread: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/speed-runner-typhon-6s-uk-built-fast-not-bought-fast.10482/

If you're going for speed runs seriously then I wouldn't waste money on changing the stock Arrma servo as it's good enough for what you need. It's what I use in my Typhon speed runner.
View attachment 54674
(y)

Might get this for a speed run battery. What do you think

Attachments

• 18E39BDA-5403-4FB6-A175-14A25EBC19B3.png
    18E39BDA-5403-4FB6-A175-14A25EBC19B3.png
    998.2 KB · Views: 52
Never tried them but they should be ok...

Personally I'd be going for the Turnigy Graphenes if I was building a serious speedrunner... but only because I have experience with them and I know just how good they are..

Personally I'd be going for the Turnigy Graphenes if I was building a serious speedrunner... but only because I have experience with them and I know just how good they are..
^^ My response @pa_fullsend is exactly the same as @Ari33 . ;)
I'm also friends with some World Record holding speed runners here in the UK and they recommend Turnigy Graphene Panthers as that's what they use.

It's worth noting though that not all batteries will fit your Typhon easily or without needing some type of modification because of size.
That's why I recommended two batteries to you in my earlier post; the 6S Turnigy Graphene Panther 5000mAh (which will need mods doing to the Typhon to fit comfortably) and the 6S Turnigy Nano-Tech Plus 5000mAh (which will fit without needing any mods doing to the Typhon).

For comparison (sizes measured by me +/-1mm).
6S Turnigy Graphene Panther 5000mAh
L142.5mm x H59.5mm x D50mm

6S Turnigy Nano Tech Plus 5000mAh
L153mm x H53.6mm x D48.1mm
103.JPG

The sizes of those batteries are different to what is advertised on Hobbyking where I bought them as well as some other sites I looked at so when buying batteries you should always take advertised sizes, weight and even "C" ratings with a pinch of salt.

To fit the Turnigy Graphene Panther battery comfortably in my V3 Typhon I had to modify my battery tray...
101 Battery tray mod.JPG

102.JPG

...as well as raise the bodyshell height because otherwise it didn't sit right. You could just live with that part of the problem though as you can still clip the body down but I didn't like the bulge so re-drilled holes for my rear body mounting posts to raise the body position up.

I just ordered a Turnigy Graphene Panther from HobbyKing this week. It was $116 free shipping for the 5000mah 6S.

^^ My response @pa_fullsend is exactly the same as @Ari33 . ;)
I'm also friends with some World Record holding speed runners here in the UK and they recommend Turnigy Graphene Panthers as that's what they use.

It's worth noting though that not all batteries will fit your Typhon easily or without needing some type of modification because of size.
That's why I recommended two batteries to you in my earlier post; the 6S Turnigy Graphene Panther 5000mAh (which will need mods doing to the Typhon to fit comfortably) and the 6S Turnigy Nano-Tech Plus 5000mAh (which will fit without needing any mods doing to the Typhon).

For comparison (sizes measured by me +/-1mm).
6S Turnigy Graphene Panther 5000mAh
L142.5mm x H59.5mm x D50mm

6S Turnigy Nano Tech Plus 5000mAh
L153mm x H53.6mm x D48.1mm
View attachment 54784

The sizes of those batteries are different to what is advertised on Hobbyking where I bought them as well as some other sites I looked at so when buying batteries you should always take advertised sizes, weight and even "C" ratings with a pinch of salt.

To fit the Turnigy Graphene Panther battery comfortably in my V3 Typhon I had to modify my battery tray...
View attachment 54785

View attachment 54786

...as well as raise the bodyshell height because otherwise it didn't sit right. You could just live with that part of the problem though as you can still clip the body down but I didn't like the bulge so re-drilled holes for my rear body mounting posts to raise the body position up.

Okay well since you all recommend turnigy so much I will definitely look into that then. So it’s worth mentioning, my typhon is a V2. Will that v4 battery tray work in mine, can I just swap it out. And also I was wondering earlier maybe you know, if not it’s cool. Can I switch the motor mount/center diff mount to the v4 easy access sliding motor mount ? I don’t know if the chassis holes are the same for the new mount or not does anyone know ? Lol thanks!

I just ordered a Turnigy Graphene Panther from HobbyKing this week. It was $116 free shipping for the 5000mah 6S.

Awesome, cant wait to hear what you think of them compared to the top performers on your side of the pond which are not financially viable for us..

Awesome, cant wait to hear what you think of them compared to the top performers on your side of the pond which are not financially viable for us..
My only other 6S is an SMC 5000 90C and I plan on comparing the two. ??

@pa_fullsend My Typhon is a V3 2018 model and I know some parts/most AFAIK are interchangeable with the V4 but unsure about your older V2 model.

A battery tray is a very simple thing though and tbh worst case scenario you could either modify what you have, make one or buy one from another vehicle to make it fit.

One way you could find out some answers to what V3 or V4 parts fit your V2 Typhon is to contact an RC breakers like "Jenny's RC".
Link: https://jennysrc.com/
I'd have thought they'd know for definite.

@pa_fullsend My Typhon is a V3 2018 model and I know some parts/most AFAIK are interchangeable with the V4 but unsure about your older V2 model.

A battery tray is a very simple thing though and tbh worst case scenario you could either modify what you have, make one or buy one from another vehicle to make it fit.

One way you could find out some answers to what V3 or V4 parts fit your V2 Typhon is to contact an RC breakers like "Jenny's RC".
Link: https://jennysrc.com/
I'd have thought they'd know for definite.

Awesome thank you I hadn’t thought To ask Jenny’s haha. Just ordered some kraton parts from them too ??

Really your ride height is predominantly set using the droops screws (grub screws located in the wishbone/A-arms) but moving the shock positions as well as spring collar adjustment does have some effect.

My springs are "Hot Racing" upgrade springs designed for the Arrma Nero. Can't remember exactly but they're like 4x stiffer than the standard springs Typhon springs.
Spec here: https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=NRO6509;c=1019

Some info here on suspension set up: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/stiffer-shock-springs-limiters-etc-for-speed-runs.11318/

I know it's a long read but literally every single thing I did is in my build thread but I'm more than happy to keep chipping in on this thread if you have anymore questions etc. (y)

Hey I was wondering if you run front and or rear skid plates on your speed run rigs? Is it not worth the added weight ?

Hey I was wondering if you run front and or rear skid plates on your speed run rigs? Is it not worth the added weight ?
Firstly I wouldn't worry too much about added weight especially as it can be a good thing when speed running. We're only talking grams here in any case not Kg's.

I used to run an RPM skid plate on the rear but that was before my Typhon was fully set up correctly. With shock limiters added you can control where your suspension stops at so there is noway the chassis can touch the ground usually. Only exception of the chassis being hit is something unforeseen sticking up in the road surface like a large stone.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a skid plate/s and just get your suspension set up correctly.
In saying that I do kind of have a rear skid plate but only because it's actually serving a purpose of being the mount for my custom made GPS holder.
124.JPG

127.JPG

Firstly I wouldn't worry too much about added weight especially as it can be a good thing when speed running. We're only talking grams here in any case not Kg's.

I used to run an RPM skid plate on the rear but that was before my Typhon was fully set up correctly. With shock limiters added you can control where your suspension stops at so there is noway the chassis can touch the ground usually. Only exception of the chassis being hit is something unforeseen sticking up in the road surface like a large stone.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a skid plate/s and just get your suspension set up correctly.
In saying that I do kind of have a rear skid plate but only because it's actually serving a purpose of being the mount for my custom made GPS holder.
View attachment 55672

View attachment 55673

Okay cool thank you ?? That’s a great mount man good idea! What shock towers you running that rear doesn’t look stock?

What shock towers you running that rear doesn’t look stock?
My front shock tower is one I made myself from carbon fibre plate but the rear one in the picture is actually just the stock Arrma Typhon one, ...maybe it just looks different to you because of my suspension geometry set up and uprated Hot Racing Nero black springs.

If you want to change your shock towers for lower profile ones you don't have to go to all the effort that I went to making my own as you have the option now to use the Arrma Limitless ones. Will give a much nicer lower profile to the Typhon for less drag. (y)

GRP belted tires are fantastic for speed runs, you probably want the C2 compound. You for sure want to make sure the ESC and motor have sufficient cooling sp upgrading the motor fan is a great idea. I know a lot of the speed run guys get the Yeah Racing Tornado fans for their ESC's as well.

As far as the servo goes, high torque is more important that speed for speed runs so the stock servo is generally okay up to a certain point. Sudden servo movements can make the car really unstable. So I usually dial down my steering dual rates. It depends on what remote you have. If you have the older Tactic remote or an aftermarket one, it's easy. If you have the new V4 Spektrum STX2, I'd suggest replacing it before doing speed runs. It has terrible range and throttle glitches are extremely dangerous at high speeds.
To piggyback here, I'd suggest, strongly suggest, anyone with the STX2 remote replace it ASAP no matter WHAT your plans are lol! That thing is a disaster waiting to happen! 19 dollar dunboRC 3ch remote is 100x better than the stock crap. Excellent throttle response and range for days!

Speed runs, bashing, or track days: the stx2 is garbage. Hot garbage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back