Talion So I finally decided what my next rc will be.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talion newbie 248

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
So my next rc will not be the limitless or the infraction but a losi 8ight rtr nitro truggy. I drove someone's nitro and fell in love with it and of course went with the truggy to compliment my 6s talion. Will be getting it on Tuesday but I want to know your guys thoughts on my decision to get a nitro since I have a talion that has a Max 6 and a 1900kv motor in it.

I picked one up over this past winter. I have not fired it up yet but I'm super excited to have a smoker.

If I don't like the engine an electric conversion is easy and a well respected option. Some folks buy them intending to sell of the engine and convert right away.

The servos are known to be marginal. No surprise as it's a RTR...

The differentials only have two spider gears. I'm not sure if that'll effect the strength, or make diff. tuning harder but a rebuild kit will get you all four spiders. Be sure to buy the kit that has four spiders and cross bars; if you buy the RTR diff rebuild kit it'll come with a cross bar that is not relieved to mesh with another cross bar. I thought I could double up the RTR rebuild kit but that won't work.

I think it's a great value for us guys that aren't interested in racing competitively.

The engine has a good reputation. These RTR engines are great candidates for port jobs. For about 80 bucks a pro can make these engines real impressive!

Ditch the pull start for a sealed back plate and use the bump box. Pull starts are notorious for creating an air leak and that'll make tuning a nightmare that newbies don't need.

Watch a video on how to seal a nitro and set yourself up for success. Us first time engine tuners need any edge we can give ourselves.

I can hardly wait to smell some nitro burning!

I was gonna go with the hpi trophy nitro but my man shadow ordered a losi 8ight for me since I'm a loyal customer that buys everything from him.
Note to self always support your local hobby shops

I went in the opposite direction... used to run Nitros many years ago.
I do miss the noise/drama of a nitro but appreciate the relative simplicity/ease of use of electric... its quietness makes it more versatile by giving me more bashing area options.

What do I think of you going Nitro? I think its great.. Pros and Cons.. Its not as accessible as electric and requires a bit more fiddling around but I think everyone should own one at least once in their life...
You cant claim to be a 'real RC'er' until you've owned a Nitro.. ;)

I was gonna go with the hpi trophy nitro but my man shadow ordered a losi 8ight for me since I'm a loyal customer that buys everything from him.
Note to self always support your local hobby shops

That's great! You'll have someone to help you with any teething problems and that's priceless.

Me? I've got the internet and determination. Yeah, that always turns out well...

I picked one up over this past winter. I have not fired it up yet but I'm super excited to have a smoker.

If I don't like the engine an electric conversion is easy and a well respected option. Some folks buy them intending to sell of the engine and convert right away.

The servos are known to be marginal. No surprise as it's a RTR...

The differentials only have two spider gears. I'm not sure if that'll effect the strength, or make diff. tuning harder but a rebuild kit will get you all four spiders. Be sure to buy the kit that has four spiders and cross bars; if you buy the RTR diff rebuild kit it'll come with a cross bar that is not relieved to mesh with another cross bar. I thought I could double up the RTR rebuild kit but that won't work.

I think it's a great value for us guys that aren't interested in racing competitively.

The engine has a good reputation. These RTR engines are great candidates for port jobs. For about 80 bucks a pro can make these engines real impressive!

Ditch the pull start for a sealed back plate and use the bump box. Pull starts are notorious for creating an air leak and that'll make tuning a nightmare that newbies don't need.

Watch a video on how to seal a nitro and set yourself up for success. Us first time engine tuners need any edge we can give ourselves.

I can hardly wait to smell some nitro burning!
I will be taking your advice in my mind.
If I sell off my savageX, I'll get a maxx 4s. lol!

Still got a couple other nitro's, but I never drive this thing, even now that I have it running decent.
My man shadow has about 6 RC cars in his personal collection and the Maxx 4s is one of his favorite rigs to run right now.
That's great! You'll have someone to help you with any teething problems and that's priceless.

Me? I've got the internet and determination. Yeah, that always turns out well...
I'm sure you can YouTube it no problems at all.
I do miss the noise/drama of a nitro but appreciate the relative simplicity/ease of use of electric... its quietness makes it more versatile by giving me more bashing area options.

What do I think of you going Nitro? I think its great.. Pros and Cons.. Its not as accessible as electric and requires a bit more fiddling around but I think everyone should own one at least once in their life...
Well I will be a happy nitro owner come this Tuesday.

Iirc the 7075 parts and adjustable linkages from the race truggy will bolt on the rtr but don't quote me on that.

When I first got into R/C cars back in the 1980's, all I ran were nitro cars. Now that I'm back into it, I went electric. Nitro cars have additional maintenance requirements, like flushing off all the oil and the grime it attracts, but they sure are a hoot to play with.

I stumbled across this the other day, and I think I might be developing an itch that only nitro can cure!

kyo33213.jpg

kyo33213_1.jpg

https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho...blue-1-10-nitro-touring-car-kyo33213/p1165080

I have 4 nitros on the shelf. That I don’t use. My suggestion? Don’t go backwards
Stick with electric.
Yeah but isn't it more worth while to explore all aspects of the hobby. Your just limiting yourself in my opinion of you just stick with electro you know. I use to play paintball and was big into shooting Electro's but then I decided to go into pump paintball and saw a different aspect to the sport. Not trying to say it's wrong to just stick with your Electro's hell I already know that my losi 8ight will not be able to go nearly as fast as my supped up talion but I'm still going for it since I want to try something different.

It’s not that easy. It’s lots of extra stuff to carry.
Nitro fuel
Glow driver
Glow plugs
Bump starter
Batteries for starter
I used to race nitro truggy. I have seen both sides.
electric is the way to go. If you need to explore that I will encourage you.
it’s a learning curve.

It’s not that easy. It’s lots of extra stuff to carry.
Nitro fuel
Glow driver
Glow plugs
Bump starter
Batteries for starter
I used to race nitro truggy. I have seen both sides.
electric is the way to go. If you need to explore that I will encourage you.
it’s a learning curve.
Noted would say the same thing to you if you were planning on buying an autococker paintball gun cause those are a pain in the ass to tune lol.

You are going to be highly disappointed. I have 1 and it is about the worst choice to make. The diffs only have 2 planetary gears and wear out very fast. You can not replace the clutch bell. It comes with a 17 tooth and when it wore out the only replacement was a 15 tooth and the speed difference is huge. The motor is under powered even by nitro standards. If you want to make it worth while. Replace all diffs with the TLR replacement and pop in an lrp or novarossi motor. I converted mine to brushless. I have all the extra parts if you want.

I have know idea what you are talking about since I'm a noob lol but will keep that In mind
Basically there are 2 versions of the Losi 8ight T, the rtr and the race version, the race version has beefed up parts and adjustable camber, toe and steering links, the rtr parts are mainly stamped 6065 aluminum vs machined 7075 for the race version.

Basically there are 2 versions of the Losi 8ight T, the rtr and the race version, the race version has beefed up parts and adjustable camber, toe and steering links, the rtr parts are mainly stamped 6065 aluminum vs machined 7075 for the race version.
Noted
One thing is fore sure. When it works it’s very satisfying!
Yes that is right!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back