Kraton So I wanna run 8s in my 6s kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa_fullsend

Full send or no send ??
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
I got a new esc out of a 8s kraton (spektrum firma 160a) fitted into my 6s V4 kraton. Running on 6s is killer but since my esc can handle 8s...why the hell not, right. So my question is, will the stock motor (which is what is currently in the truck) handle 8s? Will it handle it well? And if not what motor (that will fit in a 6s kraton) can I run 8s on? Are the hobbystar 4092 motors good with 8s or anything similar?

I think the stock motor will not last very long. The Hobbystar 4985 is a great motor on 6s in the Kraton with the max6 whichis similar to the k8s esc. I’ve never run it on 8s but @Mr.Duke runs his on 8s with great results. In order for it to fit the v1-v3 mount it needs to be spaced up but on the new v4 or m2c mount the 4985 mounts right up. It’s basically the k8s motor with higher kv at 1650. You will also want to run a fan if you gear it up.

Echoing what @Jimbobjr said you want a larger can motor and lower KV.
Ideally 8s use is in the 1200-1700 kv range. Much of that is depending on vehicle weight. Lower end of that range would be for vehicles like the 8s Kraton or XMaxx that weigh allot. The 6s Kraton could get away with the higher end of that range assuming it is not full of heavy aluminum upgrades. No matter the motor used if geared for 60+ speeds you will likely will need motor fan(s).

I think the stock motor will not last very long. The Hobbystar 4985 is a great motor on 6s in the Kraton with the max6 whichis similar to the k8s esc. I’ve never run it on 8s but @Mr.Duke runs his on 8s with great results. In order for it to fit the v1-v3 mount it needs to be spaced up but on the new v4 or m2c mount the 4985 mounts right up. It’s basically the k8s motor with higher kv at 1650. You will also want to run a fan if you gear it up.

okay so I definitely want the option to run 6s or 8s on the same motor. I guess with the exception of just a pinion change depending on 6 or 8

more power for that thing? jeez. i can hear the advertisement now: "instead of breaking your legs one at a time by accidentally crashing your kraton into them, now you can break both your legs at the same time with the new 8s power!" yikes. :)
Oh yeah, it is not for children. The Kraton powered with hw4985 has no problem getting into the 60’s off-road 70’s on road when it’s geared up and doesn’t take long at all to get there. The trouble is keeping the tires on the rims.

Last edited:
Echoing what @Jimbobjr said you want a larger can motor and lower KV.
Ideally 8s use is in the 1200-1700 kv range. Much of that is depending on vehicle weight. Lower end of that range would be for vehicles like the 8s Kraton or XMaxx that weigh allot. The 6s Kraton could get away with the higher end of that range assuming it is not full of heavy aluminum upgrades. No matter the motor used if geared for 60+ speeds you will likely will need motor fan(s).

yeah it’s all m2c aluminum. And I’ll probably run backflipLPs. Okay so a motor fan is a must.With that esc and say the hobbywing 4985 with 1650kv like @Jimbobjr said. What would be best pinion for running it on 8s and what for running on 6s. Definitely want as much speed as possible without overheating right away.

I am running the Hobbywing 4985 1650kv Max6 ESC combo on 8s with great results so far, but I feel like it’s a matter of time before I hurt the motor as it’s only rated for 6s. So far I’ve run 2 sessions bashing around big parking lots testing different gearing ratios,
2 sessions of hard speed runs, and 3 sessions bashing off road (grass/dirt/jumps).
Build thread for my setup can be found by clicking on the “build thread contributor” icon next my screen name.
Current setup weighs in at 13.6lbs with 2 PowerHobby 5200mah 50c 4s packs. 20t pinion with 46t Spur on backflip LPs. This combination yields a top speed (mathematically) of 84mph on 8s and 63mph on 6s

I am running the Hobbywing 4985 1650kv Max6 ESC combo on 8s with great results so far, but I feel like it’s a matter of time before I hurt the motor as it’s only rated for 6s. So far I’ve run 2 sessions bashing around big parking lots testing different gearing ratios,
2 sessions of hard speed runs, and 3 sessions bashing off road (grass/dirt/jumps).
Build thread for my setup can be found by clicking on the “build thread contributor” icon next my screen name.
Current setup weighs in at 13.6lbs with 2 PowerHobby 5200mah 50c 4s packs. 20t pinion with 46t Spur on backflip LPs. This combination yields a top speed (mathematically) of 84mph on 8s and 63mph on 6s

that is one sick rig dude ?? Absolutely killer. I appreciate the info

The one thing you have to remember is a motor isn't rated for 4s,6s,8s or anything like that. A motor is rated in rpm. So yes your stock motor will run 8s. But as long as you don't rev it out and use it for say jumping it should last a bit. I would gear it up a tooth or 2 just to be safe. Keep a good eye on your temps until you learn that setup. Same goes for the hobbywing 4985. Yes they pair it with a 8s setup but that is probably just overstepping 8s territory. It will be just fine but again don't rev it to the moon. As far as gearing on max 6,4985 combo I run a 21 tooth and ran it flat out to 73 mph. If you are just putting around in the grass it's perfect temps. If you however run back and forth like a relay runner in the grass and she will get warm.?

The one thing you have to remember is a motor isn't rated for 4s,6s,8s or anything like that. A motor is rated in rpm. So yes your stock motor will run 8s. But as long as you don't rev it out and use it for say jumping it should last a bit. I would gear it up a tooth or 2 just to be safe. Keep a good eye on your temps until you learn that setup. Same goes for the hobbywing 4985. Yes they pair it with a 8s setup but that is probably just overstepping 8s territory. It will be just fine but again don't rev it to the moon. As far as gearing on max 6,4985 combo I run a 21 tooth and ran it flat out to 73 mph. If you are just putting around in the grass it's perfect temps. If you however run back and forth like a relay runner in the grass and she will get warm.?

okay cool thanks for that info. And yes I plan on jumping and sending the hell out of it haha.
fastest rc car in the world is traxxas right.... yep its xo1

wym, "sad"
No one here asking about the “fastest car in the world”

From what I understand that is the go to set up, Well answering his question you answered one of mine about the motor mount on the v4... great advice man. Eat,sleep, bash, repeat...

Nice. Which hobbywing motor is better equipped for 8s that can fit in the V4 Kraton 6s then? Thanks. Would it fit with no modifications?

I've got castle mamba monster x 1650kv 1717 can 15 tooth pinion 50 tooth spur keeps bending dog bones and I got the exb 6s Kraton I put 50 I fluid in front 2.5million in center and 100 k in rear trying to figure out what to do to make this car drivable without it taring up

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back