Felony So speed runners and drag car owners is it worth investing in LiHV batteries or Higher C rating instead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent_Joe0779

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Typhon 6s
Im looking for some knowledge when it comes to lipo batteries it it better to invest in higher C rating battery packs or LiHV lips Im interested in what works best for speed runs and maybe drag racing a felony and infraction vs others vehicles in the same class as always any information is helpful..

8S no LiHV. They are good for stock racing classes where that little extra voltage can give a bit more top end. In general high performance 8S ESC's circuitry is not designed/optimized/capable of running anything beyond 33.6V. Castle also mentions it specifically in their quickstart guide.

Most C on the labels is just marketing, but that is indeed what we are looking for. With free choice of motor, you just get whatever motor kv that works best on that voltage and pull power with amps. As long as your motor and esc can take it, gearing/amps can be increased. Battery Amp draw limit should be the bottleneck.

On 6S HV with a 8S capable esc there could be a little advantage of less ampdraw/heat but i don't expect it to be better.

I don't think I can directly answer your question, but voltage droop is your enemy. All lipo cells come from China and apart from SMC, nobody really tells you what the voltage droop looks like on the pack. I would say the C rating is not a great indicator of performance. Use the knowledge that others have gathered on available packs and try them. The three options I was looking at most recently is Powerhobby 6500mAh 130C 4S packs, Turnigy Panthers, and SMC. I have had really low lifetimes on SMC packs in the past and the Panthers are popular and thus out of stock. I managed to grab a couple sets of the Powerhobby's and they seem pretty good so far.

I'm just starting to test and compare SMC DV extreme 135c 4s packs vs CNHL Racing Series 90c packs. First test today the SMC pack had .5v more voltage sag and did 1mph less but also was the packs very first charge and use so need to give it a good 5 cycles and should really get to it's potential and give better results. Have video ready so will be uploading to my channel soon and I'll post here as well. Also have data log results shown in video of voltage sag and rpm differences etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back