Raider So which one of you is the Thingiverse pimp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the files on that site are user generated and free to download and print on a 3D printer. I just got an entry level one and have been having a blast with it. This technology is a game changer imo.

Yes, the files on that site are user generated and free to download and print on a 3D printer. I just got an entry level one and have been having a blast with it. This technology is a game changer imo.
Post more on your 3D printer pls. I'm very interested

I have the Monoprice Select Mini. They are hard to get your hands on but widely regarded as the best value in 3D printers.

There is a v2 due out anytime now with some minor improvements but good luck getting one of those anytime soon. There is a bit of a cult following with these so there are many guides on how to improve their quality and capability. The great part is many of the recommended mods are free downloadable prints!

https://hackaday.io/project/14823-monoprice-select-mini-maximum-3d-printer-mods

I have not had much time to play with mine yet due to other things going on, but my kids and I have printed a number of things from Thingiverse with good luck. I did just design my first part which was quite rewarding. It was a simple adapter plate to fit an aftermarket motor in a biplane I have. 15 minutes of drawing in Autodesk Fusion 360 (free for hobbyists) and 8 minutes worth of printing later and I had a factory looking part that is light and works perfect.

IMG_4018.JPG
IMG_4270.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG
IMG_4171.JPG
IMG_4189.JPG

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question but I am kind of curious. How strong are printed parts from this printer? Is this more for parts that don't see stress or is it good enough to be used for things like A-arms?

Strong for sure but not like the plastic used in the stock parts which is really pretty amazing stuff. PLA is the most common material due to cost and ease of printing but there are other stronger materials you can use like ABS for example. One inherent shortcoming with this process is that the parts are printed in layers. The adhesion between layers is not as strong as the internal strength of a part that is cast like the stock ones are. This also makes for a 'grain' where the part is stronger along the layers than across them, like wood.

Strong for sure but not like the plastic used in the stock parts which is really pretty amazing stuff. PLA is the most common material due to cost and ease of printing but there are other stronger materials you can use like ABS for example. One inherent shortcoming with this process is that the parts are printed in layers. The adhesion between layers is not as strong as the internal strength of a part that is cast like the stock ones are. This also makes for a 'grain' where the part is stronger along the layers than across them, like wood.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I was just thinking that if it was possible to print parts that are as strong as stock parts it would awesome to be able to beef up some stock parts in certain areas until you make a car more solid for your needs.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I was just thinking that if it was possible to print parts that are as strong as stock parts it would awesome to be able to beef up some stock parts in certain areas until you make a car more solid for your needs.

I haven't played with this enough yet to know for sure, but it would not suprise me if you could redesign printable parts that are more durable than the stock ones. It appears the guy on Thingiverse just more or less digitized the original designs. Speaking of which, that seems to be a bit easier than I had originally imagined...

https://3dprint.com/120773/3d-scanning-with-camera/

I have the Monoprice Select Mini. They are hard to get your hands on but widely regarded as the best value in 3D printers.

There is a v2 due out anytime now with some minor improvements but good luck getting one of those anytime soon. There is a bit of a cult following with these so there are many guides on how to improve their quality and capability. The great part is many of the recommended mods are free downloadable prints!

https://hackaday.io/project/14823-monoprice-select-mini-maximum-3d-printer-mods

I have not had much time to play with mine yet due to other things going on, but my kids and I have printed a number of things from Thingiverse with good luck. I did just design my first part which was quite rewarding. It was a simple adapter plate to fit an aftermarket motor in a biplane I have. 15 minutes of drawing in Autodesk Fusion 360 (free for hobbyists) and 8 minutes worth of printing later and I had a factory looking part that is light and works perfect.

View attachment 9472 View attachment 9473
View attachment 9469 View attachment 9470 View attachment 9471
Wow! That's pretty cool. Tyvm for that information. I'm going to look into it.

I've been busy looking at printers myself, which is why I haven't been on here much lately. I joined a couple Forums like Thingiverse which was recommended to me by a salesperson at my LHS. They had a Skywriter sitting there on the counter and I thought it was too small for what I wanted to do. I just might buy a printer in kit form since I love to wrench on stuff. First thing I did was download Blender so I can get back to where I left off a few years ago. WOW a lot has changed, and I forgot most of what I learned back then. If and when I get a printer, I'll probably do a build thread and review on it, but don't hold your breath. If I can get my head back into design software, it may not happen. Just like the guy in the video, I don't want to waste filament on landfill stuff!

Well I have a Prusa i3 clone on the way. So many clones out there and clones of clones of clones... They ARE replicators so...
Maybe the first things I'll print once it's built and set up will be another printer.LOL Or at least some spare brackets and stuff.
This stuff is COOL!--->https://3dlabprint.com/shop/lockheed-p-38-lightning/

That's freakin cool Right? The designer did a Cessna 150 that has flaps and wing struts etc. Pretty nice flyers also. I spent the better part of an evening on their website!
My printer will be here tomorrow along with 3 colors of filament, and I made it through 4 Blender Tutorial Videos earlier today and although I hate sitting still for very long, I learned a little chunk of the software and there's ALOT.
Almost ordered this one but went with a RepRap Prusa i3.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRONXY-X1-U...941790?hash=item25cb9e571e:g:fk8AAOSwJ7RYU0EP

Last edited:

Will boiling help the durability of 3d printed parts that need to "flex" under stress? I used to do similar w my rpm a arms, rarely broke them thereafter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back