Kraton Soaking plastics in wd40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew price

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hi guys. Does anyone soak there plastics like a arms wing mount in wd40 or similar stuff . Hope you can help. Cheers ?

I’ve been in this hobby 20+ years and have never heard of anyone doing this. What are the perks behind this practice?

More flex less breakages. There are some videos on YouTube. Was just after other people opinions.

I’ve been in this hobby 20+ years and have never heard of anyone doing this. What are the perks behind this practice?

Supposedly it makes the plastic more flexibe, but I've never seen any hard evidence of such.

(Note: I am not a chemist, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.)

From the WD40 Technical Data Sheet:
Surface Compatibility For all variations : WD-40 demonstrates none to negligible deleterious effect to plastic, rubber, and metal hard surfaces. This includes Acetal, neoprene/hard rubber, HDPE, PPS Copolymer Polysulfone, Teflon, Viton, steel, galvanized steel hot dip, electroplated, copper, brass, magnesium, nickel, tin plate, titanium, and zinc.

I doubt it does anything (good or bad) to the A-arms plastic, which are a nylon-based plastic if I am not mistaken (I know that's what RPM uses). These are semi-crystalline plastics, which are not affected by WD-40. *IF* there is indeed a change in the plastic structure due to the boiling for several hours WD-40, my guess is that it is more likely to be bad for the plastic.

On the other hand, WD-40 is bad for amorphous plastics such as polycarbonate, because the hydrocarbons in the WD-40 can break down the polymer chain. For this reason, it's probably better to keep WD-40 away from the car bodies.

Boiling is supposed to relieve stresses is the plastic.

WD40 is supposed to be good because of silicone oil in the formula.

I dunno but it makes me feel good to hose plastics down in silicone oil instead of WD40.

XD i time to time use wd40 on plastic to make them shine and if they ever make them more flexible great. So boiling plastic makes them better? I always thought it only made the softer and go back to hard after it coolsdown

I did the boiling salt water for my parts on my RC10...in late 80's/early 90s. I never used WD40. The nylon (I think) of the stock parts were more pliable and less brittle. I also had aftermarket arms and they specifically said not to do that process as it would melt the arms.

I spray mine with WD40 silicone spray after every run, it does make it stay shiny but I'm not so sure about being more flexible, I broke the c-hub and rear arm a few days ago so....:unsure:

What I’ve heard, and this could be 100% BS, is that nylon will dry out over time and become brittle. By boiling or soaking in WD40, you are keeping it more moist and pliable. Again, just a theory I’ve heard.

Listen if your gonna get a arms get RPM there plastic a arms crack at 720 degrees its proven that wd40 is just gonna make it shiny i wouldn't bother wasting a 5 dollar can of wd 40 on nothing

Sorry but I don’t find his video to be overly scientific.

Agreed. I like the East Tactics YT channel quite a lot, but this experiment made me cringe so much I couldn't watch it until the end. I certainly appreciate the effort, but it is not a proof of anything.

The real solution for improved plastics in RC applications would be to have manufacturers hire material engineers to optimize their plastic composition to achieve specific mechanical properties. Meanwhile, if you think soaking your plastic parts in WD-40 improves their durability, go ahead and soak away. :)

Agreed. I like the East Tactics YT channel quite a lot, but this experiment made me cringe so much I couldn't watch it until the end. I certainly appreciate the effort, but it is not a proof of anything.

The real solution for improved plastics in RC applications would be to have manufacturers hire material engineers to optimize their plastic composition to achieve specific mechanical properties. Meanwhile, if you think soaking your plastic parts in WD-40 improves their durability, go ahead and soak away. :)
I only wipe them with wd40 i cant just spray everywhere i want to keep them away of my driveshafts at all cost and rod ends
Yeah i would have wanted him to try snaping a big chunk of both bumpers

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back