Kraton Sockenschuss 1/8 EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Servo Day, the old one made some grinding noises when turning left
ogNwLMi.jpg

the new one did that too due to a different reason so i needed to shave a bit of the servohorn to get the screwhead passing the case
UtP7Oas.jpg

RPM Bumper dropped aswell, no need to modify that one
yD0LgIm.jpg

aaannnnnnddd some bling appeard in the mailbox
fF7aujy.jpg

(y)

Hi All,

Here's a link to all the images (and some more) in the thread hope this works.

This will be my build thread around my Kraton EXB 1/8 but it will start of as bit of a rant :mad:

I bought the EXB two weeks ago and i f***** it up pretty much from day one. To start off it inherited the Electronics from my Felony (Spektrum Smart ESC150A, SPEKTRUM FIRMA 4074). After about 20 minutes into my first bashing session i broke the shock shaft of my right front shock.
CwarUJY.jpg

Some spares are hard to come by in europe especially in Switzerland so i decided, while the shock shafts and cups are on their way from oversees i'll fit the front shocks from my Reely Raptor to go and do some bashing today.
ilLcouo.jpg

Blue fits the red ... NOT!
While i'm at it i also wanted to change the bushings from the steering rack into ball bearings and fit a smaller pinion. That was the plan.
rggKcGk.jpg

which worked rather well.
1A5IZZM.jpg

The mess started when i tried to take off the motor to install the smaller pinion
f1mmWwI.jpg

Screw Head round, no way to loosen this screw so i have to take off the whole motormount.
JR2TIlj.jpg

Aaaaaaaannnnndddddddd ... i managed to fiddlestick up the next screw. So i directly drilled that one out.
EVqngYp.jpg

Since i was mad as hell already... messing up the pinion screw and the motor shaft rounded up (sorry for the pun) my day
b8HjIhr.jpg

Now here i am beautiful day outside, three of three RCs down, spares ordered: eta three to four weeks. I'm going to bed. Good night.
th
Hi All,

Here's a link to all the images (and some more) in the thread hope this works.

This will be my build thread around my Kraton EXB 1/8 but it will start of as bit of a rant :mad:

I bought the EXB two weeks ago and i f***** it up pretty much from day one. To start off it inherited the Electronics from my Felony (Spektrum Smart ESC150A, SPEKTRUM FIRMA 4074). After about 20 minutes into my first bashing session i broke the shock shaft of my right front shock.
CwarUJY.jpg

Some spares are hard to come by in europe especially in Switzerland so i decided, while the shock shafts and cups are on their way from oversees i'll fit the front shocks from my Reely Raptor to go and do some bashing today.
ilLcouo.jpg

Blue fits the red ... NOT!
While i'm at it i also wanted to change the bushings from the steering rack into ball bearings and fit a smaller pinion. That was the plan.
rggKcGk.jpg

which worked rather well.
1A5IZZM.jpg

The mess started when i tried to take off the motor to install the smaller pinion
f1mmWwI.jpg

Screw Head round, no way to loosen this screw so i have to take off the whole motormount.
JR2TIlj.jpg

Aaaaaaaannnnndddddddd ... i managed to fiddlestick up the next screw. So i directly drilled that one out.
EVqngYp.jpg

Since i was mad as hell already... messing up the pinion screw and the motor shaft rounded up (sorry for the pun) my day
b8HjIhr.jpg

Now here i am beautiful day outside, three of three RCs down, spares ordered: eta three to four weeks. I'm going to bed. Good night.
we have days like these keep at it :sneaky:

Dear Buildlog,

i'm sorry i haven't written in a while. Due to bad weather i couldn't go bashing the kraton at all. Today though, after the almost monsoon like rainfalls yesterday, the weather was good so i went bashing and learnt a slightly expensive but important lesson:

Water is heavy and when it gets mixed up with centrifugal force it likes to blow up your tires
N4hVZ4G.jpg

i actually almost shot i kid from his bike with that piece of foam
ljulvML.jpg

guess the next set of copperheads will get some extra vents in the tread.

And because i'm an idiot and i like to break things i decided to give the kraton hell with two blasted and two watery heavy wheels which degraded my 16T pinion to a 7.65T pinion (estimated).
O8kWCwr.jpg

In other news: the Kraton ran 96kph on the road (as per GPS with intact tires :p). I reinstalled the 12T and it currently sits on ProLine Badlands until a new set of Copperheads arrive.

Heya, it's me again. coming at you with another pic-heavy update.
So the next load of upgrades arrived
6AHNSCs.jpg

Time to take the whole thing apart ... again
ragg9pa.jpg

i wanted to redo all three diffs (8k,100k,8k) ... messed around a bit with the 100k and the AirVac
bzxKeQO.jpg

The backend, all HotRaced and CRCUed up
VkBSc8z.jpg

Discoverd some more damage from one of the last bashing sessions.
1ItjV6j.jpg

I somehow managed to bend the Aluminium FF Hingepinholder and completly deform the plastic brace
DxPkhGs.jpg

Goes directly into the
yte5eTU.jpg

While i was at it :p
That bash bar is meat! How much does it weigh? Is the back side hollow, or is it solid all the way through?
313 grams or 11 oz. No and Yes ;)
pwME7Tt.jpg

And the frontend, all HotRaced and CRCUed up
WVvibQ2.jpg

Today's plan is putting everything back together, setting up steering and geometry.

Have fun and stay safe!

Did some bashing over the last weekend and guess what .. breakage happend :LOL:
Oq222R7.jpg

That shocktower got some terrible hits
pbPREgL.jpg

Yup .. looks a little bent
E7GEo5A.jpg

The RPM Wingmount took a lot of beating .. i mean like really a lot ...
Ld9Sk1j.jpg

Old vs. new
14oH64Y.jpg

the diffcase took some abuse too.

A lot of bent screws and half an hour later the baby was up and running again. Since i landed a lot of jumps with the wing first on concrete/tarmac i'm suprised there was not more damage. One rearshock might be a little bend but that'll do for now.

In other news i Switched the reciever from Spektrum SRT315 to Flysky FGR4S ... so fed up with the Spektrum stuff :mad:

In other news i Switched the reciever from Spektrum SRT315 to Flysky FGR4S ... so fed up with the Spektrum stuff :mad:
Did that fix the variable delay into reverse "feature"? I'm inches from kicking Spektrum to the curb for a couple of reasons, and that would be icing on the cake.

Did that fix the variable delay into reverse "feature"? I'm inches from kicking Spektrum to the curb for a couple of reasons, and that would be icing on the cake.
I haven't run it long enough to check that but my guess would be yes. It definately fixed the SMART Battery low error beep, the grinding noise the steering servos make (on multiple cars i own) even when theres no steering input at all and the usage of the DX5Rugged which by far is the worst Radio i ever spent money on. By the End of next month every single one of my cars including the two scx24 will be fitted with Flysky recievers and the NB4 will be my one and only Radio. (y)

Anyways. This took a little longer than expected but it's done now and i couldn't be happier.

So here's the story of another Sockenschuss 1/8 EXB upgrade ... the final round? Don't think so :p
b85Sbrj.jpg

All the new parts that went in this time
JBQH3pG.jpg

All the old parts that i got rid of in my quest of castlefying my whole fleet
nybMsOD.jpg

Motor in with some prototype cooling construction by ALZA and your's truly. Let's see if this will work.
qWJLrOp.jpg

All faned and wired up
KUAkC6C.jpg

good to go on a testdrive
L7WChMp.jpg

after fixing the broken wingmount
j0ZQeZa.jpg

the thing now weighs 5.8kg
QWe37z1.jpg

after all is said and done ... i also needed to get rid of the misleading "Spektrum" stickers

Motor and ESC pack some serious punch (on the small road in front of my house), i still have to see what the performance in a more "real life bashng scenario" looks like, especially with the new cooling construct.

There's a new Album for those who like the pics.
Sorry couldn't edit the first post.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back