Kraton Sockenschuss 1/8 EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton EXB
Hi All,

Here are links to all the images/albums (and some more) in this thread

This will be my build thread around my Kraton EXB 1/8 but it will start of as bit of a rant :mad:

I bought the EXB two weeks ago and i f***** it up pretty much from day one. To start off it inherited the Electronics from my Felony (Spektrum Smart ESC150A, SPEKTRUM FIRMA 4074). After about 20 minutes into my first bashing session i broke the shock shaft of my right front shock.
CwarUJY.jpg

Some spares are hard to come by in europe especially in Switzerland so i decided, while the shock shafts and cups are on their way from oversees i'll fit the front shocks from my Reely Raptor to go and do some bashing today.
ilLcouo.jpg

Blue fits the red ... NOT!
While i'm at it i also wanted to change the bushings from the steering rack into ball bearings and fit a smaller pinion. That was the plan.
rggKcGk.jpg

which worked rather well.
1A5IZZM.jpg

The mess started when i tried to take off the motor to install the smaller pinion
f1mmWwI.jpg

Screw Head round, no way to loosen this screw so i have to take off the whole motormount.
JR2TIlj.jpg

Aaaaaaaannnnndddddddd ... i managed to fiddlestick up the next screw. So i directly drilled that one out.
EVqngYp.jpg

Since i was mad as hell already... messing up the pinion screw and the motor shaft rounded up (sorry for the pun) my day
b8HjIhr.jpg

Now here i am beautiful day outside, three of three RCs down, spares ordered: eta three to four weeks. I'm going to bed. Good night.

Last edited:
Hi All,

This will be my build thread around my Kraton EXB 1/8 but it will start of as bit of a rant :mad:

I bought the EXB two weeks ago and i f***** it up pretty much from day one. To start off it inherited the Electronics from my Felony (Spektrum Smart ESC150A, SPEKTRUM FIRMA 4074). After about 20 minutes into my first bashing session i broke the shock shaft of my right front shock.
CwarUJY.jpg

Some spares are hard to come by in europe especially in Switzerland so i decided, while the shock shafts and cups are on their way from oversees i'll fit the front shocks from my Reely Raptor to go and do some bashing today.
ilLcouo.jpg

Blue fits the red ... NOT!
While i'm at it i also wanted to change the bushings from the steering rack into ball bearings and fit a smaller pinion. That was the plan.
rggKcGk.jpg

which worked rather well.
1A5IZZM.jpg

The mess started when i tried to take off the motor to install the smaller pinion
f1mmWwI.jpg

Screw Head round, no way to loosen this screw so i have to take off the whole motormount.
JR2TIlj.jpg

Aaaaaaaannnnndddddddd ... i managed to fiddlestick up the next screw. So i directly drilled that one out.
EVqngYp.jpg

Since i was mad as hell already... messing up the pinion screw and the motor shaft rounded up (sorry for the pun) my day
b8HjIhr.jpg

Now here i am beautiful day outside, three of three RCs down, spares ordered: eta three to four weeks. I'm going to bed. Good night.
Replace the motor mount screws with cap head screws and a small washer. Hope you have better luck going forward.

Hey Guys, thanks for the kind words really appreciate the feedback and tips. I can definately say that i’m the one at fault here. All the screws have been tightened and secured with medium loctite by myself when first assembling the kraton. The pinion came loose multiple times during break in runs so i must have messed it up earlier.
In the meantime i went on a shoppingspree. So, coming in the next few weeks:
- all the stuff needed to rebuild the stock shocks
- shock bleeding thingy from hudy air vac something, different oils and pliers
- multiple pinions 14T, 19T, 25T
- a bash bar
- a whole set of stainless screws for the kraton
and since my wife wasn’t home and i had no governance/guidance at all i decided to pulll the trigger on a Futaba T7PRX :LOL:

i feel better now:giggle:

Aarma claims that shock breakage at the eye end like yours comes from too much suspension droop. You might want to reduce it by a couple turns. That comes from a bulletin, I haven't experienced it yet.

I feel your pain; i stripped the same motor mount screw as you. I was able to recover it with a set of these broken screw extractors: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V37X6M5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I replaced it with bigger bolts and washers: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221307549544

Much more confident tightening them with a decent set of hex bits now, using blue loctite on them has held fine so far, using red loctite on the pinion gear as that *kept* loosening itself using only blue.

I've read mixed reports of swapping out all the screws with stainless - apparently the Arrma supplied screws are actually harder than SS.

Stick with it though - it's fun as hell once it's all dialled in and up and running :)

Stainless hardware in the grades we get for little M3 screws is 300 series non-austinitic non-work hardening easy to machine steel. It is considerably softer than the good alloy steel that the usual blackened fasteners come in. I love stainless for it's corrosion prevention, but if strength is critical, use black steel. Automotive stainless, like ARP, is magnetic, heat-treated 400 series steel and is priced out of the hobby market by a fair sight. Upsizing M3 to M4 with a drill and tap is a good plan for problem spots. Careful with small taps; if you think removing a broken fastener is tough... try a broken tap.

Hey Guys,

thanks for the feedback and the kind words. So i bought a set of these
rpgPSLC.jpg

and lo and behold 10 minutes later
YdGyvOX.jpg

totally saved the motor mount and the pinion too
SZNwozR.jpg

i then retapped all the threads to get rid of any remains of loctite. Also bought a set of M4 cylinderheads and washers for the motormount as recommended.
One huge step closer to putting the Kraton back togther. Shockshafts also arrived today, still waiting on the cups for the shocks, Oil and other stuff.
Aarma claims that shock breakage at the eye end like yours comes from too much suspension droop. You might want to reduce it by a couple turns. That comes from a bulletin, I haven't experienced it yet.
i haven't touched the shocks before the broken shaft at all so ... i don't know ... maybe i got a bad one ;)
has anyone of you upgraded the shocks? Is there an upgrade at all to the Stock EXB Shocks with 4mm shafts ? I know there's a huge thread around but some of the information seems outdated.

Today i recieved a little bit of upgrades and bling for the Kraton
gyviREl.jpg

Since i didn't know if the bar and skin combo would fit the RC Monster Bar i decided to cut the skin myself.
kE3vhcB.jpg

Maybe i'll order a bar and skin combo later. Let's first see how this thing holds up.
I continued to put the Kraton back together with the saved motor mount
F1YQHkZ.jpg

The Stock Bumper of the EXB wouldn't fit so i need to get creative
hUcFUcs.jpg

Hacks and Bodges with a little bit of Dremel action
OJUOsk9.jpg

Finished product.
6YYJLm6.jpg

sadly i can't testdrive yet since the borrowed shocks are way too short and soft so getting on the brake means rubbing the front on the floor.
I went on with reinforcing my bash body with the good ol dry wall/shoe goo.
A49nLYp.jpg

My second time using this method, made less of a mess this time
o9xBP7t.jpg

i hope the rest of the materials for the shocks arrives soon so i can bash that thing around and break it again. USPS doesn't seem to like me, the tracking of all the parts just says "Label Created, not yet in system" :sneaky:

That bash bar is meat! How much does it weigh? Is the back side hollow, or is it solid all the way through?

Sooooooooo. The shock shafts arrived but the Arrma cups are still nowhere to be seen. I decided to pull the trigger on some Hot Racing Shock Ends and then that somehow happend :sneaky:
3hPmPta.jpg

Gearboxcases, axle carriers and enough shock ends/caps to rebuild eight shocks
also got some 1000cst oil. Rebuilding the shock with the damaged shaft took about 5 min
eMknYfK.jpg

i know the HR ends are not a replacement but they fit and they work.
cgJDhCy.jpg

finished product
6Wwth0m.jpg

took it out for a short bash around the woods, hit some jumps and rocks seems to be holding up

Aftermath of todays, actually my first real, bashing session.
a serious nose dive led to
3eNe2my.jpg

which led to
ykm1S83.jpg

i got some serious air time too sadly no video but i got rewarded the flying rearwing of valor :LOL:
vR36dOL.jpg

Other than that i couldn't be more happy about the performance of the kraton as of now. Everything else held up very good.
I guess i need some recommendations for a new bumper (rpm?) and a new wing mount (rpm, hot racing?) what you guys prefer?

So i went for RPM Wingsupport and Bumper. I know RPM81472 is not for the EXB but i took "V5 & EXB owners, our bumper is not a direct fit on your truck." as "use your creativity and a dremel" :LOL: I sourced the wingmount here in switzerland, bumper is on its way from GB.

In other news i rebuild the whole rearend and made some bling happen
MKxjIXl.jpg

all cleaned up and shiny. Stockparts that were ok got cleaned up aswell and went directly to the spares.
brjjyc9.jpg

:love:
iSP0Wtf.jpg

axle carriers shimmed up for a tighter fit
2t8sR0K.jpg

i hope i'm not overloading the whole truck and then have to watch it explode to a million pieces when landing the first jump but hey, i guess i'll take the good ol GoPro with me to the next outing. GoPro mount for the Wing is incoming, this should make some interesting footage :sneaky:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back