Typhon Soldering fkn sucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Soldering blows big time, so I have this tekin rx8
And 2050 motor until my xr8 plus/1900 arrives Tuesday. Eb48 soldering leads vertical sucks ass lol got poop dripping smh10x but finally finished

Then had to solder typhon xt90 cause they are warped they’ll plug in tight but damn need pilers to pull apart did 6 batteries leads that was easy. I’m still a Apprentice level 1 in soldering saving money and burning my hands got little burn marks on my hands, hitting poop with iron

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 208
It's a right of passage ?.

I started last year entirely self/YouTube taught and now I am pretty confident soldering almost any kind of connector and wires from 24awg to 10awg. I still do dumb stuff sometimes like forgetting to feed my heat shrink or end cap onto my wire before I solder it so I then have to desolder it and do it again. Or I end up mixing up the male/female XT plugs and solder the wrong one because I connect 2 plugs together so the pins don't warp out of alignment if the plastic heats up too much but then solder the wrong side because I can't tell which side is which when they are plugged in together.

You'll get there eventually ?

Soldering blows big time, so I have this tekin rx8
And 2050 motor until my xr8 plus/1900 arrives Tuesday. Eb48 soldering leads vertical sucks ass lol got poop dripping smh10x but finally finished

Then had to solder typhon xt90 cause they are warped they’ll plug in tight but damn need pilers to pull apart did 6 batteries leads that was easy. I’m still a Apprentice level 1 in soldering saving money and burning my hands got little burn marks on my hands, hitting poop with iron
Look's sharp man, almost a pro!

I am a lvl1 solderer also, but still I somewhat enjoy doing it.

Do you have decent soldering equipment? I just made the switch from a 20€ "Parkside" soldering station and instantly got much better results. And a more satisfying experience.

You mean you fkn suck at soldering ?

That doesn't look pretty (I think you went overboard with the amount of solder) but seems to be well connected.

But yeah, it takes a ton of practice and decent equipment... I have a dirt cheap Hobbyking station and with some extra fat iron tips it does fine. I still fug up sometimes and I've been soldering since highschool (20ish years)!

I am a lvl1 solderer also, but still I somewhat enjoy doing it.

Do you have decent soldering equipment? I just made the switch from a 20€ "Parkside" soldering station and instantly got much better results. And a more satisfying experience.
You mean you fkn suck at soldering ?

That doesn't look pretty (I think you went overboard with the amount of solder) but seems to be well connected.

But yeah, it takes a ton of practice and decent equipment... I have a dirt cheap Hobbyking station and with some extra fat iron tips it does fine. I still fug up sometimes and I've been soldering since highschool (20ish years)!
The combo system is used, I only solder the 2 battery leads.

Attachments

• 05EED9E4-DC94-4109-93EF-BC2AA701DB1F.png
    05EED9E4-DC94-4109-93EF-BC2AA701DB1F.png
    577.8 KB · Views: 80
Is there a tool to that cleans post of solder
You could try solder wick, with a little flux. I jump between that or a solder sucker. If you get a solder sucker, don't get those cheap plastic ones, they are not very good. Only one worth getting imo (although pricey) is the Engineer SS-02. They can be purchased from Amazon.

You could try solder wick, with a little flux. I jump between that or a solder sucker. If you get a solder sucker, don't get those cheap plastic ones, they are not very good. Only one worth getting imo (although pricey) is the Engineer SS-02. They can be purchased from Amazon.
Oh hell yeah thanks, I’m ordering that

Helping hands with a magnifier helps out a lot. Another thing you can do and I did this for my electronics school I attended, get soldering projects. There’s a ton of little kits for not much money and they make you really focus and increases you skill. I’ve done one of these and it’s great practice. For $25 bucks you get to practice your soldering and have a multimeter to use afterwards.

Attachments

• 2AC1B290-D275-49A3-9A75-6F1D91D02DD7.png
    2AC1B290-D275-49A3-9A75-6F1D91D02DD7.png
    769.5 KB · Views: 70
you'll get the hang of it, it's worth investing in a jig and/or helping hands. you need a higher power iron for the kinds of connectors we use, the 30w ones that plug directly to the wall don't cut it usually, you end up having to apply heat for so long you damage the work or burn your fingers on the wires.

The Hakko FX888D is fantastic if you are looking to upgrade, same price as the ones labeled with RC brands but it's built much better, they are super reliable workhorses used in factories around the world. The weller WLC200 is a great budget option.

EDIT: recommended some stuff, spelling.

Last edited:
My first soldering experience was fixing balance leads on a lipo battery?, it was fun?. Yes I know one lead isn’t attached, this pic was before it was done. That was a spektrum smart battery looks like inside in case anyone wondered.

Attachments

• 3FEAA006-034B-41F3-BA36-9A87F103AD64.jpeg
    3FEAA006-034B-41F3-BA36-9A87F103AD64.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 80
@Vedak mentioned this tool, works good last night I tryed to clean the post on same esc in picture above and I’d say it’s worth the$35
Glad you like it. It's really tough to convince someone those are worth it. Especially when you can buy those cheap plastic plastic versions for under $5 dollars shipped. I wouldn't have a problem if they actually worked. I had many of them in the past. And the only that did work was one that my dad gave me, which eventually broke.
What's nice about the engineer version like you have, is that silicone tip. You can get right on the soldering iron tip if its within the silicone temps range, and it wont melt like the plastic ones. That's where cheap ones fail, for it to work properly, you need to get close. Unfortunately when you do, they deform and work maybe twice if your lucky.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back