Soldering help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle_buck

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
So I installed my new servo and I want to wire up my castle 2.0 bec. What's some good solder to use when I solder the bec. I know rosin core and all that but should i go lead free or with lead and is a 80 w soldering iron good enough to solder it up.

80w should be enough, secondly the lead thing is up to you. Lead free is harder to work with but leaded is... leaded... which poses a little bit of a health risk. Remember, the BEC wires are soldered to the esc positive and negative wires!

80w should be enough, secondly the lead thing is up to you. Lead free is harder to work with but leaded is... leaded... which poses a little bit of a health risk. Remember, the BEC wires are soldered to the esc positive and negative wires!
Yes and I have to remove the power wire from the esc going into the reciver. What's a good name brand solder to use.can I just pick some up at home depot or do I need to get a specific rc grade solder from the hobby shop.

I found some at my Home Depot. It works good.
Sorry that is upside down. Don’t know why it posted like that.

Attachments

• 3147E028-8323-47DE-9CD7-3C9ABF3EEACD.jpeg
    3147E028-8323-47DE-9CD7-3C9ABF3EEACD.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 50
Yes and I have to remove the power wire from the esc going into the reciver. What's a good name brand solder to use.can I just pick some up at home depot or do I need to get a specific rc grade solder from the hobby shop.
Crappy Tire has good solder too. I suggest you also buy soldering paste or flux. It definitely helped make my connections cleaner.

Crappy Tire has good solder too. I suggest you also buy soldering paste or flux. It definitely helped make my connections cleaner.
Yeah I have some flux but no solder. Crappy tire and home depot both work perfect for me they're both walking distance from me as opposed to 30 minute drive to the hobby shop . Which did you use from crappy tire

Sorry that is upside down. Don’t know why it posted like that.
No worries I just locked my screen so it wouldn't flip on me lol

Yeah I have some flux but no solder. Crappy tire and home depot both work perfect for me they're both walking distance from me as opposed to 30 minute drive to the hobby shop . Which did you use from crappy tire
I picked up the brand name one. Not coming to mind at the moment, but I think it's Bernzomatic. Just checked and I was right. $7.99 for 3 oz and $14.99 for an 8 oz roll.

Awesome thank you ?
If you have the time, check out Sayal Electronics on Creditstone north of Langstaff. It's a great place to buy cheap electronics, wires, and other stuff you might find useful in the hobby.

Below is the solder that I use. I buy it on 1 pound spools since I do quite a bit of soldering with all of my vehicles and batteries, but they do have smaller spools. I looked at the smaller round tubes of solder but if you do a decent amount of soldering those get spendy pretty quick. I also prefer the leaded solder as it is easier to work with and I do not plan on eating it :p.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017YVRCTY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have the time, check out Sayal Electronics on Creditstone north of Langstaff. It's a great place to buy cheap electronics, wires, and other stuff you might find useful in the hobby.
Awesome thanks I've heard of that place. Never been there tho. I usually go to a Vaughan electric on round tree dairy rd for work when we need pot lights and stuff.i will definitely check them out when I'm in that area thx
Below is the solder that I use. I buy it on 1 pound spools since I do quite a bit of soldering with all of my vehicles and batteries, but they do have smaller spools. I looked at the smaller round tubes of solder but if you do a decent amount of soldering those get spendy pretty quick. I also prefer the leaded solder as it is easier to work with and I do not plan on eating it :p.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017YVRCTY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'll order some and try it out. I'll use it after this stuff I get. candian tire and home depot are right around the corner from my house. I can't wait for another order to get here. I've already waited 6 weeks for my servo to arrive because it was backordered for 4 weeks and another 10 days in shipping . I'm itching to get this servo done and drive this thing again. Plus I blew a diff on my TRMT8E and now I have nothing to drive lol and yeah I'm gonna go with the lead. When I grew up everything around me was painted in lead paint and besides that tail I had cut off I'm fine ?

Last edited:
I think of all the lead split shots I put on fishing with my teeth over the years...I’m a goner.
I'm there with ya. I think my pack that I currently have is still lead but after these are gone I'll probably get stainless.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back