Soldering iron recommendation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coconuts

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave
  4. Outcast 6s
Thought I post this question to the masses.

Looking for a good soldering iron for battery ends and motor bullets.

So what do y'all have and what features to you like the most about them.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Ahhhh...one of my "Fields of Expertise"!

If all you're going to be doing is soldering battery connectors, even a smaller soldering "Gun" would do. They limit you because the tip can be bulky, and hard to get into cramped spots. They shouldn't be used on delicate stuff like circuit boards and IC's because the tip is actually the secondary of a transformer, and aren't usually grounded, so they can have some voltage on the tip.

I like Weller temperature controlled irons because I do a LOT of Electronics work. The nice thing is they have interchangeable tips, so I can put a big tip in for heavy stuff, and a a small tip in for delicate stuff like circuit boards.

I have two Weller WESD51 units, and have been using them for over 10 years now.

Hakko also makes good soldering stations, and I used them at several places I worked at.

This is my soldering station ?

Tyler from Danbury Hobby
20190926_171747.jpg

Agree with @drjim that a Weller is what you want imho.

I used to struggle with soldering larger wires/bullet connectors until I was recommended a Weller soldering iron. It made no sense to me at first because the Weller soldering iron I bought was advertised as the same wattage as the Draper soldering iron I owned already, ...the thing was though in comparison my 40W Weller soldering iron worked more like a 100W soldering iron. It's insane how good they are.

This is the one I have: https://www.weller-tools.com/consum...rons/Electronic,+Repair,+and+Everyday/SP40NEU

Easily handles doing 8mm bullets and bigger. (y)

Agree with @drjim that a Weller is what you want imho.

I used to struggle with soldering larger wires/bullet connectors until I was recommended a Weller soldering iron. It made no sense to me at first because the Weller soldering iron I bought was advertised as the same wattage as the Draper soldering iron I owned already, ...the thing was though in comparison my 40W Weller soldering iron worked more like a 100W soldering iron. It's insane how good they are.

This is the one I have: https://www.weller-tools.com/consumer/EUR/en/Weller+Consumer/Soldering+Irons/Electronic,+Repair,+and+Everyday/SP40NEU

Easily handles doing 8mm bullets and bigger. (y)

I have several of the 40 Watt Weller irons like that. I keep different tips in them for different jobs.

I use them primarily to solder UHF (Type "M" for our Euro friends) connectors to coaxial cable for my Amateur Radio stuff.

The ones I have are over 20 years old, and still work perfectly. Weller builds good stuff!

Weller or Hako are the 2 brands I see posted the most.

I have an old school Weller soldering station from the 60s and it just gets warm. I have a picture of it on my phone somewhere.

Thanks everyone for the awesome input. I'll check them out.
Ahhhh...one of my "Fields of Expertise"!

If all you're going to be doing is soldering battery connectors, even a smaller soldering "Gun" would do. They limit you because the tip can be bulky, and hard to get into cramped spots. They shouldn't be used on delicate stuff like circuit boards and IC's because the tip is actually the secondary of a transformer, and aren't usually grounded, so they can have some voltage on the tip.

I like Weller temperature controlled irons because I do a LOT of Electronics work. The nice thing is they have interchangeable tips, so I can put a big tip in for heavy stuff, and a a small tip in for delicate stuff like circuit boards.

I have two Weller WESD51 units, and have been using them for over 10 years now.

Hakko also makes good soldering stations, and I used them at several places I worked at.
That looks exactly like the soldering iron my dad has. I remember desoldering components off of old mobo's as a kid with it. That's how he kept me busy. Lol

I use a Pace WJS 100 Digital and a Pace ST25 Analog Soldering Station. Both work phenomenal and made in USA. The analog is more than capable which I usually let people use that want to learn or need to solder their stuff up. My digital I keep to myself.
20190928_221241.jpg
20190928_221537.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back