Soldering issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theres some pics. The iron has got a grove in it where the cable Has been resting its as if it has melted ?‍♂️?‍♂️ ive got some
Home made helpers witch seem todo the job and holds things together great. I just don't want to hold the iron on things for to long and course damage to my parts.
AFAIK that is not a good way to splice wires together.

This video has blown my mind and I've been doing it ever since. 10000% easier and better.

EDIT: I cannot find said video.

Summary: Untwist and fray both wires. Jam them together like your would interlock your fingers. THE IMPORTANT PART - use some really thin bare copper wire to wrap all of the fray together - tightly. This is super strong, and the solder will never crack.

PS: They make no-clean solder as well. It's easy to wipe off when hot - but you need acetone to remove it when cold.

EDIT2: Found the video:

Summary: Untwist and fray both wires. Jam them together like your would interlock your fingers. THE IMPORTANT PART - use some really thin bare copper wire to wrap all of the fray together - tightly. This is super strong, and the solder will never crack.
This is a good tip, I've never tried wrapping small wire after interlocking the wires. I'll try that in the future.

This is a good tip, I've never tried wrapping small wire after interlocking the wires. I'll try that in the future.
Here are some gory pics of splicing 8ga wire. It's big but probably stronger than just 8ga.

Attachments

• 20200522_004128.jpg
    20200522_004128.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 64
Here are some gory pics of splicing 8ga wire. It's big but probably stronger than just 8ga.
That's really neat. One issue I always had while doing the interlocking method, was that the wires wouldn't stay snug and compact. It only worked best if I did big splices, and had enough working room to twist it.

That's really neat. One issue I always had while doing the interlocking method, was that the wires wouldn't stay snug and compact. It only worked best if I did big splices, and had enough working room to twist it.
Yeah. I've only done a "T" Connector style with big gauge. Been playing around with more of a "Y" style and then 2 inline 1 wrapped around.

Working with big gauge is difficult and takes a tonnn of solder. Pre-application of flux is necessary. I usually cram it into the MIDDLE while everything is frayed. It's messy, but the solder REALLY wicks into every crevice.

Anyone use the TS-100? been seeing a bunch of TY vids on it. Seems handy.

Anyone use the TS-100? been seeing a bunch of TY vids on it. Seems handy.

I have 3 irons already... Been trying to resist the temptation to pick up this wee cracker... you are not helping dude! ;)

It would be a great pocket iron for my work but do I really need it... probably not but it is a really nice wee iron no question.

I just looked at the amazon page, what is the wattage on this one? I have a Weller that has been a workhorse but this seems awesome for size reasons.
I’m not sure about the wattage, but it’ll do a 10 gauge wire. I got the model with a power supply and an adapter to use a lipo with an xt60 connector. To do heavy wire you may want a larger tip, but mine came with a fine tip and I ordered a larger chisel tip as well.
It’s hard to tell size from pics, but the thing’s the size and weight of a ballpoint pen. You will have to upgrade the firmware out of the box, but it’s very easy to do and have me no issues on a Windows 10 laptop. If you solder all day every day you’ll want something else. But if you solder a dozen or so things a month you’ll probably love it.

Its a brand new iron dude with a big chisel head And i know a little bit about soldering or i though i did lol. Normally i would coat both cables and then lock the too together. But its like the solder doesn't want to attach its self to the cable. Both cable and iron are clean.
Need to use solder flux or paste.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back