Soldering kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skids929

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
Just curious as to what folks are using for soldering kits. Not looking to spend a ton of money on one, but I also realize that cheap tools can be more costly if you have to struggle with it or hate using it.

The Hakkos looks pretty sweet, price point isn't awful but for the amount I may use it might not be worth it. Is there anything that works well tried and true that is cheaper?

Currently using a ts100 and the old school weller gun. not a every day activity so theses seem to fit the projects that do come up.

I have a slightly older Hakko 888 with the analog dial. Bought it probably back 10 years ago to replace an old Radio Shack setup. I have yet to have a single issue. I guess the only thing I could ask for is auto shut off if I forgot to turn it off, but that’s yet to happen too.

Food-for-thought... I like my tools to not be "single use" if possible. Since I own a home, cars, and all sorts of stuff, I already had a Weller soldering gun that worked just fine for soldering new connectors onto my RC batteries but is robust enough for other home projects.

If you don't envision using your soldering iron for anything but smaller hobby projects, then this gun is not likely a good choice for you as it's bulky.

71xouNUEXEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Food-for-thought... I like my tools to not be "single use" if possible. Since I own a home, cars, and all sorts of stuff, I already had a Weller soldering gun that worked just fine for soldering new connectors onto my RC batteries but is robust enough for other home projects.

If you don't envision using your soldering iron for anything but smaller hobby projects, then this gun is not likely a good choice for you as it's bulky.

yes I like this idea, and I think thats the very thing I am struggling with. I too have a home and always getting involved in fixing things myself so I like to own tools (and own many) but would probably want a soldering set up to be universal. The Hakko seems hobby only, and we all know as adults we fall in and out of hobbies based on available time.

Have you used this set up to solder battery connections etc in 1/8 RC cars? How has it worked?

Have you used this set up to solder battery connections etc in 1/8 RC cars? How has it worked?
My Weller gun worked just fine for soldering Spektrum IC5 connectors on to my two new batteries (See this post). The biggest challenge was rigging-up a way to hold the parts to be soldered. I'm no expert when it comes to soldering, although I did get practice with yet many years ago when (real) car audio was all the rage.

Hobby soldering irons work best for small parts. However, if the most you plan on doing is soldering wires and battery connectors, I don't think you need a small hobby iron.

My Weller gun worked just fine for soldering Spektrum IC5 connectors on to my two new batteries (See this post). The biggest challenge was rigging-up a way to hold the parts to be soldered. I'm no expert when it comes to soldering, although I did get practice with yet many years ago when (real) car audio was all the rage.

Hobby soldering irons work best for small parts. However, if the most you plan on doing is soldering wires and battery connectors, I don't think you need a small hobby iron.

lol at the car audio comment, I remember it WELL! Yeah I tend to agree and this is exactly what I am doing soldering IC5s in to an ESC. I would be ashamed to bring to a local HS and have them do it as I take pride in doing things on my own. I love the idea of a new toy in the Hakko but overall I might just get aggravated looking at it when I am not using it often enough.

I love the idea of a new toy in the Hakko but overall I might just get aggravated looking at it when I am not using it often enough.
I think we're in the same boat. I literally just got my Typhon this week so I'm all about modifying it right now. However, reality is that it'll only get used a few times a year at best and I don't want to invest too much into it as I've got a lot of other interests. Winter is closing in quickly on us in the Midwest and these cars are too fast to run in the house.

I think we're in the same boat. I literally just got my Typhon this week so I'm all about modifying it right now. However, reality is that it'll only get used a few times a year at best and I don't want to invest too much into it as I've got a lot of other interests. Winter is closing in quickly on us in the Midwest and these cars are too fast to run in the house.

yep! same here with the exception I can run mine year round in NC! ? But yeah I have all sort of interests as well and at the moment it is building my son a MT 410 kit from the ground up for Christmas delivery. So some light soldering will be necessary to be able to use my Spektrum batteries with it.

It's good to hear your experience in soldering those connections..I've been needing a vise so maybe I get one to just rest on the top of my bench to hold them steady.

Last edited:
yep! same here with the exception I can run mine year round in NC! ? But yeah I have all sort of interests as well and at the moment it is building my son a MT 410 kit from the ground up for Christmas delivery. So some light soldering will be necessary to be able to use my Spektrum batteries with it.

It's good to hear your experience in soldering those connections..I've been needing a vise so maybe I get one to just rest on the top of my bench to hold them steady.
This works well for installing connectors onto batteries. Cheap as chips off EBay.
As for the soldering iron....... I bought an 80W Blowtorch from my local Auto store, not that expensive and it works well for what I need it to do.

F20C646D-4121-4F26-894F-939751C4BC03.jpeg

If it comes with rechargeable batteries and doesn’t take too long to heat up 12awg wire I think it’s a winner.
It would also come in handy out in the field for those running repairs.

Seems well reviewed by this fella and he's an experienced RC guy.

I have used a LOT of different irons over the years... My .02 -

#1, GET ENOUGH POWER - 25w irons are almost useless for #12 and larger wiring. 40w will get #12 done, but a lot of our batteries are #10 or #8. For these bigger wires, you really need at least 60w of power. If you know you will be soldering a lot of #8, I'd say get more than 60w of power, but some of those high power irons can be not great for smaller jobs...

While I would call Hakko a "Trusted Brand", I no longer trust any solering iron that does not list wattage. And the add copy says 600f temp - yeah, sounds low power. Runs on AAs and claims 120m of run time? low wattage. I'd guess that iron would be great for repairing circuit boards, or very small wiring, like 20g and smaller. But, without knowing the wattage, I am just guessing...

I have used an older Weller soldering gun for RC stuff. Works great for bullets and plugs liek the EC* plugs where you can remove the metal plug from the plastic housing for soldering. For plugs like Deans or XT*, it is VERY easy to overheat everything and melt the plug housing. Because of the overheating issue, I would not want to solder on ESC terminals with a gun - to easy to overheat it an ruin the ESC. Also, no good at all for fine soldering.

Currently I use a 60w digital Radio Shack soldering iron for 80% of my soldering. It uses standard replaceable tips, so I can swap between chisel tips (for bullets) and a cone (fine work). I also have a Milwaukee M12 soldering iron. Cordless, 12v, 90w of power, decent run time on the 4ah m12 battery. I use the M12 iron for big wiring - 90w of power really helps with 10g and 8g wiring - and I take it in my tool box for emergency field repairs.

I have used a LOT of different irons over the years... My .02 -

#1, GET ENOUGH POWER - 25w irons are almost useless for #12 and larger wiring. 40w will get #12 done, but a lot of our batteries are #10 or #8. For these bigger wires, you really need at least 60w of power. If you know you will be soldering a lot of #8, I'd say get more than 60w of power, but some of those high power irons can be not great for smaller jobs...

While I would call Hakko a "Trusted Brand", I no longer trust any solering iron that does not list wattage. And the add copy says 600f temp - yeah, sounds low power. Runs on AAs and claims 120m of run time? low wattage. I'd guess that iron would be great for repairing circuit boards, or very small wiring, like 20g and smaller. But, without knowing the wattage, I am just guessing...

I have used an older Weller soldering gun for RC stuff. Works great for bullets and plugs liek the EC* plugs where you can remove the metal plug from the plastic housing for soldering. For plugs like Deans or XT*, it is VERY easy to overheat everything and melt the plug housing. Because of the overheating issue, I would not want to solder on ESC terminals with a gun - to easy to overheat it an ruin the ESC. Also, no good at all for fine soldering.

Currently I use a 60w digital Radio Shack soldering iron for 80% of my soldering. It uses standard replaceable tips, so I can swap between chisel tips (for bullets) and a cone (fine work). I also have a Milwaukee M12 soldering iron. Cordless, 12v, 90w of power, decent run time on the 4ah m12 battery. I use the M12 iron for big wiring - 90w of power really helps with 10g and 8g wiring - and I take it in my tool box for emergency field repairs.

I'd go for the Milwaukee potentially, not sure I want to get into their battery system...would it be good for the ESC battery connections as well?

I'd go for the Milwaukee potentially, not sure I want to get into their battery system...would it be good for the ESC battery connections as well?
For field repairs, sure. For bench repairs, I'd say depends on the ESC. For repairing my 25A ESC that is soldered directly to the main board, I'd rather have my soldering station where I can turn down the power a bit. For my Toro 150A 1/8 ESC, with nice soldering cups, I used the Milwaukee and with the extra power, worked great. Note that the Milwaukee uses the same standard sleeve tips that my RS kit uses - so I can put a fine cone tip on it. Last time I needed to repair the cooling fan on my 3d printer (small 30mm fan) I used the M12 with a cone tip - it did great. But, if I did a lot of fine work like that, I would want to use my RS station, or a smaller/lighter iron like the Hakko above.

As for the M12 system, I'd say go for it. Their 1/8" hex driver is great, reasonably light weight, good power for up to about a 3" deck screw (4" is tough to finish), and a GREAT clutch that makes it useable for building RC kits. I'd say get the bigger flat bottom 4ah battery - not for the run time, but just so it will stand upright on the battery when you set it down. Other M12 tools for RC - the soldering iron is great, and they have a Dremel-style rotary tool that I wish I had (instead of the Dremel brand tool). Plus about 3 dozen other M12 tools that would be great around the house...

For field repairs, sure. For bench repairs, I'd say depends on the ESC. For repairing my 25A ESC that is soldered directly to the main board, I'd rather have my soldering station where I can turn down the power a bit. For my Toro 150A 1/8 ESC, with nice soldering cups, I used the Milwaukee and with the extra power, worked great. Note that the Milwaukee uses the same standard sleeve tips that my RS kit uses - so I can put a fine cone tip on it. Last time I needed to repair the cooling fan on my 3d printer (small 30mm fan) I used the M12 with a cone tip - it did great. But, if I did a lot of fine work like that, I would want to use my RS station, or a smaller/lighter iron like the Hakko above.

As for the M12 system, I'd say go for it. Their 1/8" hex driver is great, reasonably light weight, good power for up to about a 3" deck screw (4" is tough to finish), and a GREAT clutch that makes it useable for building RC kits. I'd say get the bigger flat bottom 4ah battery - not for the run time, but just so it will stand upright on the battery when you set it down. Other M12 tools for RC - the soldering iron is great, and they have a Dremel-style rotary tool that I wish I had (instead of the Dremel brand tool). Plus about 3 dozen other M12 tools that would be great around the house...

Most of my soldering will be limited to 1.8 scale, escs, batteries, or receiver wires. Nothing larger. The Hakko is really well reviewed and probably a nice option for limited soldering.

Last edited:
Most of my soldering will be limited to 1.8 scale escs batteries, or receiver wires. Nothing larger. The Hakko is really well reviewed and probably a nice option for limited soldering.
Wow those must be HUGE batteries ?

1.8 scale ???‍♂️✌?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back