Soldering Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Has anyone soldered 4mm bullets. I watched the video about the 90 degree soldering and it's an awesome idea but didn't really teach me anything. Does anyone have a link they can share or have any info? BTW I can't really solder so, I don't know. Maybe I should practice on some junk wire first.

Has anyone soldered 4mm bullets. I watched the video about the 90 degree soldering and it's an awesome idea but didn't really teach me anything. Does anyone have a link they can share or have any info? BTW I can't really solder so, I don't know. Maybe I should practice on some junk wire first.
Practice makes perfect, plus everyone has their own style/technique. I normally apply heat to the wires and allow the solder to soak into it. Thats called “tinning”. It’s great and easy to do on all kinds of electrical work. I’ve been doing this for so long so it’s like second nature. I did however teach some scouts how to solder and a few of them picked it up fairly easy. (I did an open night for them at my shop).

I use a snap on butane powered soldering iron as I need to solder at every angle possible and I can’t have a cord dangling all over the place. You need to be confident doing this a it will end up like looking pigeon poop. Buy a solder that has a low melting point without the need for flux. (Most as like this these days. A good cheap butane powered soldering iron can be got from radio shack for @ $20.

You can try the tinning technique and then use some electrical bullet connectors (remove plastic crimp insulation), then apply heat again with some more solder. It should all fuse together fairly easy

I could try and make a vid ?

Yes, get some practice!

I've been soldering for over 50 years, and while it's not difficult to learn, there are a few things you should always do, like use clean wire, ROSIN core solder ONLY (we ain't fixin' a radiator!), keep the tip clean (use a DAMP sponge), and use a bit of extra flux. Use only "Type RMA" flux, and try and match the tip size to the job. Large parts (especially if made from silver, copper or brass) will suck the heat right out of a small tip/iron, and make for "cold" solder joints, so use enough wattage in the iron and a larger tip.

For just doing battery/motor connections you can use a 40 Watt sized iron; you don't need a fancy temperature controlled soldering station.

Heat the parts, NOT the solder! It's OK to put some solder on the tip so the heat transfers faster, but heat the parts, and feed in the solder once the parts are hot enough to melt the solder.

Video really helps. Watch many. Everyone has their own style. But after you watch many, you see there is a common denominator of what you must do, versus what's optional. Find those fav, videos and re-watch them. And as you start to practice on some wires, pause and play the video to get you going. Soldering is a about preparation. Your work area, and the tools and stuff you need should be situated so when you actually start soldering, there is no stopping and reaching far. Quality Soldering is done relatively fast and with little to no interruption. You should end up with a smooth shiny solder joint in the end. Practice makes perfect. The more you do the better and faster you get. Also, a jig is your friend. The videos really help. Use very little Flux. Its tempting to use a lot of it. But that can go against you if too much flows too far into the wire strands. It will corrode and snap within the wiring sleeve and fail. Flux is acidic and thus corrosive. Wipe excess Flux that you see left on the exposed joint when finished with an electrical cleaner or some alcohol.:) Soldering is fun.

There are really cool soldering practice circuit boards that come with all sorts of things on them to learn on. I'd recommend getting some of these, practice first making good solder connections on those, and then you can practice adding wires to the connections. That way you're only potentially ruining a $1 practice kit instead of your real stuff. It's also fun anyway. If you have any interest in building your own racing drones or stuff like that it's a skill that can make or break a build.

There are really cool soldering practice circuit boards that come with all sorts of things on them to learn on. I'd recommend getting some of these, practice first making good solder connections on those, and then you can practice adding wires to the connections. That way you're only potentially ruining a $1 practice kit instead of your real stuff. It's also fun anyway. If you have any interest in building your own racing drones or stuff like that it's a skill that can make or break a build.
Yeah its no joke when you short out a new 6S pack. 25volts doesn't play well. Practice first.
Watch videos for the specific type of soldering and connectors you will use.

Finished product. Whatcha think.

Attachments

• 20191212_153224.jpg
    20191212_153224.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20191212_161742.jpg
    20191212_161742.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 36
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back