soldering sucks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraverseCity420

Total Arrma Fanboy
Reaction score
Confession, I suck at soldering.. But I DID IT!!! I took the old harness from my revo 2.0, The power cable with 2 ends.. anyway I solderd that to the stupid MM2 ESC I have cuz ya know.. It needs power cables lol

So anyway I got the negative soldered, omg it looks so ugly.. then I did the positive.. That one didn't wanna solder very well ended up clipping the end and re doing it..

didn't have shrink wrap so I did it with electrical tape..

Hooked up the motor to the Esc turned on the power and...……… IT WORKED! omg what have I done!! lol

So then I grabbed the old receiver I had from the revo and hooked that up.. backwards.. WOOPS... fixed yay!

Then I grabbed the old transmitter from the revo and read the manual for the mm2 real quick and …. I GOT THE DAMN THING SETUP RIGHT!!!!!!!!

After calibrating the ESC I hit the throttle and the damn motor about jumped out of my hands!! lol 2250kv? I think 60,000RPM things a monster.

Anyway I'm just excited I actualy did something right, ive NEVER done this before and I just kinda winged it lol.

Thanks for letting me share I don't have anyone around here to brag about this stuff, if I did I doubt anyone would care lol

You have to start somewhere. I have been teaching my 14 yo daughter how to soldetermine for a couple of months now. My dad taught me when I was about 12.

Youtube taught me and I SUCK, and now I reading more about it im worried that down the road my solder job is gonna blow up my esc or motor lol..

Maybe I should just take it up to the hobby shop or something.. but yeah u gotta start somewhere!

looks so easy on youtube, I think I just got poopy solder wire or a poopy soldering iron..Or I just totallllly suck at it.

Soldering gets easier the more you do it. Make sure not to use that eco friendly lead free solder. It's completely garbage. Haha use 60/40. Flux helps a lot too. I found that running my soldering iron around 750°F-800°F helps too. That way you can get it done quick before the heat travels down the wire to your electronics. Or your battery if that's what your soldering. Keep practicing and you'll master it in no time.

Practice and a good iron of appropriate wattage are important - and use flux, even with Rosin core wire generally.

Yep got flux and rosin core wire its just stupid fuckin thin I hada double the wire up on its self to get a decent amount of solder to work with.

Soldering gets easier the more you do it. Make sure not to use that eco friendly lead free solder. It's completely garbage. Haha use 60/40. Flux helps a lot too. I found that running my soldering iron around 750°F-800°F helps too. That way you can get it done quick before the heat travels down the wire to your electronics. Or your battery if that's what your soldering. Keep practicing and you'll master it in no time.

Yeah my iron don't get that hot :( Cheap pos from amazon.. think i'll be looking for a new iron setup.

Using the proper tip helps a lot too. I prefer the small chisel tip type. It has a larger contact area.

I just used the thin tip it came with I prolly should have used that big one.. Good advice thanks everyone your giving me lots of tips!! :D

Please keep the advice coming i'm a sponge and I wanna learn!

What is deemed “appropriate wattage”?

Very good question which I think depends on a few variables like.. What your soldering?

For example if your soldering a wire to a Li-on Battery then your going to want HOT as fiddlestick and FAST you don't wanna heat that stupid lion battery up and blow yer poop up ya dig.

So really it depends on what your soldering... At least that's what I've learned so far reading and watching youtube poop.

That..Thats expensive lol I'm not sure im that dedicated to soldering yet.. really only had that 1 project to do.
Said every single person who buys the the "less expensive" parts first, then curses when they pay full price for the upgrade later.:ROFLMAO:

What is deemed “appropriate wattage”?

Something in the 40-60w range is good most projects. You could probably get away with less for a fair amount of RC stuff, but a soldering iron isn't a good place to skimp if you're not on a tight budget.

Wattage isn't necessarily related to how hot the iron can get, more how much "reserve" it has to stay hot. The heavier the wire/surface, the more wattage you'll want.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back