Soldering tool of choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
When you all solder connections what are you using. I’m getting frustrated as I know I’m doing all the steps right but my joints are poop. I’m using a regular soldering iron with the point tip. Attached is the wire and flux I’m using. . Please send me in the right direction.

image.jpg
image.jpg

When you all solder connections what are you using. I’m getting frustrated as I know I’m doing all the steps right but my joints are poop. I’m using a regular soldering iron with the point tip. Attached is the wire and flux I’m using. . Please send me in the right direction.
Bigger chisel tip will help

Any idea what the specs are on the wire and the iron?
This is what I was wondering about as well. I've had some solder wires that didn't melt worth a crap and others that are great. I found one I like and bought a one pound spool of it.

I also know the lead free solders need more heat.

This is what I was wondering about as well. I've had some solder wires that didn't melt worth a crap and others that are great. I found one I like and bought a one pound spool of it.

I also know the lead free solders need more heat.
Along those lines I read reviews on Amazon before purchasing a solder. I use the lead stuff and always setup a fan to blow away fumes just above the work area. Having an soldering iron that has high enough wattage makes a big difference.

A chisel tip would work better. That solder requires high heat because it’s normally used to solder copper pipe and stuff like that. What temp are you soldering at?
Get this kind and it will cure the majority of the issues I would think.

7B57191D-F3D0-4135-89CC-4B0643C23294.jpeg

Last edited:
I always put a little bit of solder inside bullet, tin the wire and then connect and solder.

Maybe try this. Tin the wire. With the bullet separate from the wire, set the iron on it for like 30 seconds letting it get roastIng hot. Feed the solder into it and by this time even that solder should flow, fill the cup half way. Then, without removing the iron from the connector, slide the wire into the connector cup, the hot pooled solder should cause the tinned wire solder to flow into the pool and once you see they are together, hold the wire in place and remove the iron. Then start blowing on it to cool the solder so you can let go of the wire.

Edit - you’ll be using the entire side of the tip to heat the bullet. Not just the tip of it.

Throw that soldering iron out! It’s only 30 watt. Not enough. Minimum would need would be 80 watt.
I own the same one and use it for automotive repair (sometimes 6 gauge wires). You see that tiny tip he has? That’s the size of a normal 30 watt tip. I suspect he swapped it because for our hobby that tip is a lot easier to use. Here’s the factory tip it comes with.
image.jpg

Here’s it next to a 45 watt iron.
image.jpg

Edit nvm op has a different one
?

Better and thinner wire with a flux core like Mongoose said, and a fatter tip to contain more heat like jondilly said. Possibly a more powerful iron, you didn't specify the wattage (btw I got a yihua 936 station, very cheap and decent!).

Hakka seem to the king of soldering stations, others include Weller, Trakpower, Xtronic, yihua have great units in many different price range.
Hakko 888 for $100 is about as good as you’ll find

Hakko 888 for $100 is about as good as you’ll find
There's just something I don't like about the Hakko... It's the color, Yuk? Looks cheap and have to push buttons to get the temps you're wanting. Great reviews though. Trakpower for $79.00 or the Xtronic 3020 or 4010 from $60-80 bucks are solid units. Use the Hakko tips. They are the best.

There's just something I don't like about the Hakko... It's the color, Yuk? Looks cheap and have to push buttons to get the temps you're wanting. Great reviews though. Trakpower for $79.00 or the Xtronic 3020 or 4010 from $60-80 bucks are solid units. Use the Hakko tips. They are the best.
Mine is from the pre digital days. Mine is the 888 without a D. Mine has a pot dial. ??‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back