Solid axles help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Typhon 6s
I have a thread started= DAVE'S BELLY TANKER BUILD, and I've run into a problem.

I will be building this1/8 scale as a rear wheel drive car. I want to use a solid axles in both front and rear. I will modify the front so it will be "free=wheeling". The rear axle will be connected directly to the motor, as is shown in the drawing provided by @LibertyMKiii . I picked-out a set of nice looking, aluminum axles from "RC 4WD" to buy, (I included photos on the thread), but I am afraid that they are for off-road use, and won't handle high speeds. I know zilch about gearing, and could really use some advice. Will you please tell me if the gearing in the axles I chose will handle a speed of 70 mph or more? If not, do you know of a solid rear axle that will?

Many thank's!

For the front I would look into a different solution for the correct look.

For the rear anything RC and solid axle will be designed as either a crawler (low power and speed) or it will be a scale desert Baja truck.

I believe the key will be looking at axles that are rated for 6s or 8s use so it will actually take the abuse of a powerful motor.
My #1 thought for low price and parts availability would be the Traxxas UDR. It appears they make a chrome plated axle for the UDR at a reasonable price.

1583156676421.png

Jenny's RC has axle shafts at a good price.
The rear diff goes for around 49 ish on eBay

1583156885423.png

The rear diff is the same ratio again as the Typhon 43/13 making it a 3.3 ratio.

For the front I would look into a different solution for the correct look.

For the rear anything RC and solid axle will be designed as either a crawler (low power and speed) or it will be a scale desert Baja truck.

I believe the key will be looking at axles that are rated for 6s or 8s use so it will actually take the abuse of a powerful motor.
My #1 thought for low price and parts availability would be the Traxxas UDR. It appears they make a chrome plated axle for the UDR at a reasonable price.

View attachment 67902

Jenny's RC has axle shafts at a good price.
The rear diff goes for around 49 ish on eBay

View attachment 67903

The rear diff is the same ratio again as the Typhon 43/13 making it a 3.3 ratio.
Hey Liberty. Good to hear from you.

I looked at the Traxxis UDR Unlimited Desert Racer, Traxxis La Trax the Losi Super Baja Rey, and others. Since all are built for speed, I figured that they would work. However, I cannot find a complete, diff., diff case, axles etc... anywhere. Somebody must sell the whole package?

To build this car, using your design,(which is perfect), it seems that I will need to start with the axle units, and plan the rest of the project around them.

Thank's for the information Buddy

Hey Liberty. Good to hear from you.

I looked at the Traxxis UDR Unlimited Desert Racer, Traxxis La Trax the Losi Super Baja Rey, and others. Since all are built for speed, I figured that they would work. However, I cannot find a complete, diff., diff case, axles etc... anywhere. Somebody must sell the whole package?

To build this car, using your design,(which is perfect), it seems that I will need to start with the axle units, and plan the rest of the project around them.

Thank's for the information Buddy
You may have to piece it together which wouldn't be too bad...

39.95​
TRA8540xaxle housing rear diff carier chrome plated
49.95​
TRA8576Rear diff fully assebled and pinion plus bearings
27.47​
85076-4Rear axle shafts (best deal was on Jenny's rc and you could sell the front shafts that come with the rears)
15?axle shaft bearings
+ shipping
You may want to email a breaker like Jennys RC or there was a new one that joined this forum and ask them directly about getting a full rear axle.... Probably would save you some trouble!

You may have to piece it together which wouldn't be too bad...

39.95​
TRA8540xaxle housing rear diff carier chrome plated
49.95​
TRA8576Rear diff fully assebled and pinion plus bearings
27.47​
85076-4Rear axle shafts (best deal was on Jenny's rc and you could sell the front shafts that come with the rears)
15?axle shaft bearings
+ shipping
You may want to email a breaker like Jennys RC or there was a new one that joined this forum and ask them directly about getting a full rear axle.... Probably would save you some trouble!
Great, I'll try Jenny's RC, (I've heard of them, but never bought anything). If that doesn't pan-out, thank's for the parts list. That really helps!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back