Solid Works.. Anyone here use it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malice

Doing all kinds of messed up stuff.
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Typhon 6s
I just got my individual license today. I've been using mastercam for a bit for my cnc work. I'm hoping the transition will be somewhat smooth. Basically I'm looking for someone to pester when I run into problems! ;)

Congrats! Yes, every day for the past 15 years. I earned most all of the AE certifications including simulation years ago working fresh out of college as a SW Application Engineer at a VAR. Make use of your reseller tech support, go through the tutorials and take training!

Yep, I’ve used it for personal and school projects for the past 4 years. Love the program! Sounds like @Ryambo has a wealth of info I can’t provide, but for modeling questions I’m available:)

I'm going to be bothering both of you at some point I feel. I've designed a few things in it so far, well a couple of variations of the same thing (battery tray). I haven't run into any issues yet. I appreciate your willingness to help!

It would fun to see the progress, post a screen shot of what you have so far if you don't mind sharing.

Nothing spectacular

download_20201124_125531.png

How is the learning curve of SolidWorks to do some mid-level projects to 3d print?

I'm using sketchup for my projects (the free version) but I feel it too much limiting.
I don't pretend to became an expert but design (and than print) some custom parts for my models and motorcycles

How is the learning curve of SolidWorks to do some mid-level projects to 3d print?

I'm using sketchup for my projects (the free version) but I feel it too much limiting.
I don't pretend to became an expert but design (and than print) some custom parts for my models and motorcycles
There is a free version of Fusion 360 that is great for 3D printing uses.
It seems that Solid works niche area is the CNC world although it works good for 3D printing also.

There is a free version of Fusion 360 that is great for 3D printing uses.
It seems that Solid works niche area is the CNC world although it works good for 3D printing also.
Did you read my mind? :)

I was downloading the free version of Fusion 360 to test it!

Ha ha ha! Cheers!

It looks like you found what you were looking for, that's great! 3D modeling is a lot of fun, no matter the platform.

To address your question about SolidWorks, it is easy to learn. You could do the included tutorials and pick up enough to get started, it's actually the best way to get acquainted. Single parts with simple to intermediate geometry are a piece of cake. Some of the best users I know started where you are now.

SolidWorks is a mechanical engineering and design platform that does EVERYTHING. Design, data management, documentation, kinematics, all forms of FEA, CAM, electrical, assembly visualization, photo rendering, etc. The PDM portion serves as the backbone of many company's process and workflows too. It has integrated tools and add-ins to address every specialty a mechanical team could encounter. In industry it dominates in usage. In my experience over the past 15 or so years, of the customers that retain designs, they will require transfer of 3D files in a neutral format but nearly all of them will include a preference for SolidWorks native files written into the contract. That includes groups within the National Laboratory network and the military. I believe that's partially because of SolidWork's ease of use.

I use solidworks. I'm currently taking the solidworks secrets sheet metal course. I am by no means good at it yet, but here is what I have made.

These are what I made for fun, not for work. I don't know if i'm allowed to share what I made for work. Just to be safe. I'm also working on a servo mount for my redcat volcano 16. So I can put the kt4 servo in it. :ROFLMAO:
Tire V1 .png

Wallet Clip.png

I am currently (not RIGHT now though) working on this two piece tire. I made it two pieces so if the spokes snap you can print just the spokes, and not waste the perfectly good treads, and vise versa. Also, if your car is cambered (how ever you spell it) the treads will wear unevenly. The treads are symmetric so you can flip them around.
Rc Tire V4  .png

Rc Tire V4 .png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back