Notorious SOLVED! ESC problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRYBEN

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Hi,
I just got a new Notorious 6s V4. I haven't been able to run it yet because the reverse doesn't work most of the time. The ESC shines red when I push reverse but nothing... then after a bunch of tries it gives a single green light and it works until I pull the forwards and then the reverse doesn't work again. Just before the green light, the forwards stops.

I tried recalibrating it. I tried the connections. I'm using the stock STX2 radio and electronics.

Thanks for the help!
Joel

Shot in the dark, but have you tried calibrating the ESC with the steering trim on the transmitter at 0? Like no bias either way?

If so, does turning the steering trim dial slowly to the left work better? For instance, dial it a few degrees counterclockwise, testing reverse, repeat until it’s reliable.

I can try that. In bold text it looks like you mean "steering", and not by any chance, "throttle"?
Shot in the dark, but have you tried calibrating the ESC with the steering trim on the transmitter at 0? Like no bias either way?

If so, does turning the steering trim dial slowly to the left work better? For instance, dial it a few degrees counterclockwise, testing reverse, repeat until it’s reliable.

I tried both steering trim and throttle trim (wasn't quite sure if you meant throttle) after calibrating both as near zero as I could get them but... no luck. Thanks though.

Last edited:
First check that the ESC is set as described in the manual - then I’d rebind the transmitter and receiver - then check everything works as expected - everything is in the manual
Thanks. I'll try it first thing tomorrow. I'll come back with an update.

These are the issues you will battle with the STX2 radio. Since it’s new, you should call Horizon and complain. They will send you a newer version the STX3. It may end up being less than perfect, but at least it’s a small step up. Or buy a Dumborc, Tactic, Flysky, Radiolink, Futaba, DX5 Spektrum, or Sanwa radio. That ranges from $25 to $700. Even the $25 Chinese crap radio will be a huge upgrade.

Reverse isn’t instant on these. First push is the brake, after the truck stops using the brake, second push is reverse. Perhaps you are used to instant reverse...the guys above have you covered for things to check. Good luck with the truck, have fun!

Reverse isn’t instant on these. First push is the brake, after the truck stops using the brake, second push is reverse. Perhaps you are used to instant reverse...the guys above have you covered for things to check. Good luck with the truck, have fun!
I figure that but reverse is more like between 5th and 20th push. Maybe it doesn't work as good on a stand when it's not actually moving? Maybe I should try it when it's on the ground.

Hmmm, never tried reverse on the bench. I know for me reverse will not work at times when the truck is not stopped completely (slowly drifting down a bank) or is hung up in brush and tension is on the drive train. Maybe carefully give it a go around the yard. As @Ollivander said above try the switches on top of the receiver. Sometimes when I have problems it is one of the switches gets flipped or moved around in my bag...

if you can’t resolve this call horizon. Their service line is pretty good. You just call, give them your number and they call you back. There’s no waiting on hold all day...
Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

I had to switch mine to 'R' and then recalibrate, I had the same problem with my Notorious and this seemed to do the trick.

These are the issues you will battle with the STX2 radio. Since it’s new, you should call Horizon and complain. They will send you a newer version the STX3. It may end up being less than perfect, but at least it’s a small step up. Or buy a Dumborc, Tactic, Flysky, Radiolink, Futaba, DX5 Spektrum, or Sanwa radio. That ranges from $25 to $700. Even the $25 Chinese crap radio will be a huge upgrade.
Hahaha, that cheap. It's just a freebee to get you started, I'm sure. A Sanwa MT-S is my next upgrade, unless anyone can convince me otherwise. Is calling Horizon for the STX3 worth it or shall I pick up an emergency $30 Tactic TTX300?

on the top of the controller what is your TH set to 'N' or 'R'?
It's set to reverse, out of the box that way, but the wheels spin the right direction. Shall I swap a wire and recalibrate/rebind?

It's set to reverse, out of the box that way, but the wheels spin the right direction. Shall I swap a wire and recalibrate/rebind?
I tried the swap of wire and rebind and I don't think that worked. You can give it a shot or maybe switch to N and recalibrate.

SOLUTION!!! Guess what? It works on the ground but not on the stand! Oh, but it does work on the stand... *if you hold the brake long enough for the car to stop as if on the ground before pushing reverse*

Thanks everyone for the help!

SOLUTION!!! Guess what? It works on the ground but not on the stand! Oh, but it does work on the stand... *if you hold the brake long enough for the car to stop as if on the ground before pushing reverse*
So what was it that worked?

I just saw Kevin Talbot recommend the DumboRC x6 on his YouTube channel. I was like, "Where did I hear that radio from? Oh, yes!" and I did some research. He said it is fast. It will more than hold me until I get a macho supreme radio. Turned out nothing was wrong with the STX2 except a MASSIVE latency. (reverse just doesn't work so well when the car is on a stand, I got it at night and couldn't do more than test it inside, plus last time I did RC cars, there was no reverse)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back