Typhon Some more Typhon V3 upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-NLD

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
Hi All!

Newbie to the ArmmaForum right here..

I bought myself a Typhon V3 a couple of weeks ago.. And this is my first upgrade to it..

I bought it a front and rear skidplate/bumper combo

They are made by a German company called POS, and are made of a reinforced nylon compound wich makes it around 8× strong as normal nylon..
They come with longer screws and tapered plastic washers, that fill up the tapered screw hole in the chassis plate..
Front bumper is designed so that the stock "bumper" wich holds the hingepins in, can stay on!

Front bumper:
20190523_225708.jpg

20190523_225753.jpg

20190523_225553.jpg

Rear Bumper:

20190523_225613.jpg

20190523_225519.jpg

What you guys think?

POS, but they look so good :ROFLMAO:. I know, I know, that's the acronym of their company name. Lot of the UK guys swear by the brand like @Reubydoobe. Aluminum chassis braces and servo mount, plus some good quality sealed bearings to replace the stock metal shield variety are always good first choices. The list is long, so know your budget before you start changing things up. The Typhon is good stock if you aren't planning on sending it to the moon.

As for aluminium chassis braces and servo mount.. These GPM ones any good?
Yea they are ok for the price. Some people will say nope but i know lot's of people here in the UK that run it with no problems. It's available at wheelspin models sold as fastrax stuff but it's rebranded gpm
As for pos or Phaze One Stefan his stuff is some of the best out there in my opinion. The bumpers are solid and the wing mount on my outcast is unbreakable. His tower's are the tuffest I've run. Never bent at all. One thing i will add is there now seems to be titanium upgrades available from Alza racing and also scorched rc. I've run 3mm titanium tower's on my Talion and they don't bend at all and are about the same weight as a stock tower

In the mean time.. I got the Typhon some new wheels and tires.. I went with the LouiseRC Pioneers..

After that i went to order some parts in..
So, couple of upgrades coming up..

Waiting for some stuff to arrive i drove by my LHS today to pick up some wires.. 1 male JR and 2 female JST plugs.. All blank ended on the other side.. Soldered them together to make me a Y-cable for the upcoming double fan Yeah Racing heatsink.. And while i was spending money.. Well.. Why not get some 3D spider fan protectors to go with that..
And.. To make the shipping costs worth it.. Also ordered a Hot Racing aluminum servo mount..

Next up: Ordering some Canadian chassis braces!

Finally! After bein held at customs for eight!!! days, my AVID bearings came in!

20190711_193259.jpg

So, i had a whole evening of wrenching ahead! Installing new bearings all around!
Allready took apart and cleaned my front and rear diff parts a couple of days ago.. Centre diff got done about a month ago.. So i skipped that one for now..
The others just needed to be put together with the new bearings..

Started by changing the steering bushings with new bearings.. Easy task! And WOW! Thats a change! So smooth!

After that i shimmed my front and rear diff while reassembling them.. New bearings.. Job done..

Next up.. The two bearings that are on the input side of the diff housing.. After heating the grub screw it came out just fine.. But i couldnt get the cup of the gear shaft.. So.. I needed to make use of the Forum.. Turned out.. Loctite in between the cup and shaft bein the problem.. Some more heat.. Problem solved!!

And finally.. 8 more bearings to put in on all four corners.. And that.. What a struggle! Arrma and RED Loctite.. First time my wheelhexes needed to come of..
Heating up the grub screw.. But than.. How to; hold the wheelhub so it wont turn.. And remove that grub screw at the same time..
Well.. Either i am a genius.. Or.. I re-invented the wheel.. You tell me..

20190712_080243.jpg

Turns out.. The wheel wrench Arrma supplies with your truck.. Its hollow.. And if you have a long enough hex driver, you can put that all the way through.. So you can grip on the wheelhex and unbolt the grub screw with one hand.. Almost ;)

After that.. Same crappy situation like the indrive cups.. Loctite on the hex pin.. So i coundnt push it out.. heating it up again.. Some smoke.. And it came out quitte easy..

Front outer bearings: were kinda ok..
Front inner bearings: had some dust in them
Rear outer bearings: right one barely turning.. The left one? Completly seized up!
Rear inner bearings: Left one had al lot of dust in it and the right one was barely turning..

Started around 19:30 and a couple of beers further up the road.. I went for a well deserved sleep at 01.00

All i need to today, is put grease on the gears in both diff houses and bolt them up again..

What kinda grease should i need to put in there??

After having some trouble blowing out my rear wheel bearings after only 12 packs..

20190808_230413.jpg

I came here to find out what causes this.. And how to solve this..

Ordered in some front CVD's and new bearings.. And put these in the rear in stead of the dogbones..

20190816_163741.jpg

So.. The problem of dirt makin its way into the hub.. And then causing the bearing to blow from the inside must be solved this way..

Since the 16€ full CVD set, that i ordered in Germany.. Was goin to set me back 15€ in shipping.. I thought.. Lets make that shipping costs worth it..

I also ordered a couple of HotRacing braces and their servo horn..

20190816_163724~2.jpg

And.. As some of you guys know.. I wrecked the third gear of my stock servo.. Was able to spin it around 180 degrees, so now a new part of that gear is bein used..

Bein the stock servo.. Problems are waiting to happen again.. And so i ordered in a 25kg PowerHD.. Wich sadly hasnt arrived yet..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back