Something to consider before you buy your first hex driver set...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dulb_D

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Got into a good rhythm while replacing all the bearings in my Senton 3S and then had to stop because my hex driver isn't long enough to remove the driveshafts from the front differential... was hoping this set would do everything I needed done but looks like I'll be buying a second 2.5mm hex driver that's longer. For those who want to keep tool expenses to a minimum, you may want to go with a set that's longer than this Dynamite set. (I unscrewed the set screw to see if it could be extended and the answer is no.)

20191218_195243 (1).jpg

I used those exact same Dynamite tools and did what you said didnt work. This was on the Outcast 4s driveshafts though. Not sure if its different for other driveshafts. Was just long enough to reach the set screw in the driveshafts.
View attachment 57767
I may have to take another look but I think it looks like it will need to be extended more than you've extended yours. I don't think I had anything to set against when I extended it what I thought would be required...

I drilled the hole bigger in my granite shafts to get my mips to fit.

I may have to take another look but I think it looks like it will need to be extended more than you've extended yours. I don't think I had anything to set against when I extended it what I thought would be required...

This was awhile back but its what worked for me. That and heat to loosen up the thread lock and I was finally able to get them apart.

I agree that sometimes standard hand drivers are too short. I have been contemplating the same issue as yours. I am an MIP guy for more than 15 years. Two sets of both speed tips and handled versions and all these years later, the tips are like new. I am currently looking at the new ProTek drivers.(AmainHobbies house brand) I just need a longer 2.5 shaft. My MIP 2.5 is 60mm long. The Protek is 80mm. I am stuck on quality tips. Spoiled with MIP. The ProTek is an option for me. Cheaper hex tips always rounded out my hardware in the past. I can't say these are better than MIP. And I doubt it. And it wont get much use anyway. MIP's are my go to Drivers. But the Protek is an alternative 20mm longer shaft option. They are fairly new from Amain Hobbies. I will test out one ProTek 2.5mm and see how it fairs. I can be very critical about my tools. More than I should be?:unsure: And I don't trust generic cheap drivers.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-rc-trutorque-sl-metric-hex-driver-2.5mm-ptk-8404/p863860?msclkid=469abf46208517b9df8ee2bdb74275a6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AH - Search - Dynamic Content - RC Category - US&utm_term=amainhobbies&utm_content=Dynamic Search Ads - AMainHobbies

I agree that sometimes standard hand drivers are too short. I have been contemplating the same issue as yours. I am an MIP guy for more than 15 years. Two sets of both speed tips and handled versions and all these years later, the tips are like new. I am currently looking at the new ProTek drivers. I just need a longer 2.5 shaft. My MIP 2.5 is 60mm long. The Protek is 80mm. I am stuck on quality tips. Spoiled with MIP. The ProTek is an option for me. Cheaper hex tips always rounded out my hardware in the past. I can't say these are better than MIP. And I doubt it. And it wont get much use anyway. MIP's are my go to Drivers. But the Protek is an alternative 20mm longer shaft option. They are fairly new from Amain Hobbies. I will test out one ProTek 2.5mm and see how it fairs. I can be very critical about my tools. More than I should be?:unsure:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-rc-trutorque-sl-metric-hex-driver-2.5mm-ptk-8404/p863860?msclkid=469abf46208517b9df8ee2bdb74275a6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AH - Search - Dynamic Content - RC Category - US&utm_term=amainhobbies&utm_content=Dynamic Search Ads - AMainHobbies
Hey, people like what they like. You like to have the nicer tools, nothing wrong with that. Others want the minimum needed to get the job done. Nothing wrong with that either. Thanks for the link.

I admit I am not the average RC'er. I get a lot of o_O. And its good to know there are many options out there for everyone.(y)
This is great, I can undo them from the other side of the room. BONUS! :ROFLMAO:
John Holmes of Holmes Hobbies would be happy.:LOL: He only uses 3 Foot drivers.

Got into a good rhythm while replacing all the bearings in my Senton 3S and then had to stop because my hex driver isn't long enough to remove the driveshafts from the front differential... was hoping this set would do everything I needed done but looks like I'll be buying a second 2.5mm hex driver that's longer. For those who want to keep tool expenses to a minimum, you may want to go with a set that's longer than this Dynamite set. (I unscrewed the set screw to see if it could be extended and the answer is no.)

View attachment 57765
Could probably drill/tap a new set screw hole closer to the tip. I had to do that on my old losi drivers, but not to extend them, rather to put in new screws/threads from stripping them out from repeatedly removing the tip to put into a drill. I've long since bought MIP's and others to use in a 1/4" driver.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back