Notorious Sometimes it's better to break the wing mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
If you take a nasty hit to the wing on a rear end landing, and if something is going to break, you might be better off with the wing mount breaking. I was jumping my Notorious and on a triple I botched the landing.. I came down square on the wing. At first I was happy to see the wing mount in one piece. Upon further inspection I saw that the diff bulkhead and rear wing mount brace were broken instead. This is a much more involved fix since you have to take the whole back end apart and remove the pinion and outdrive. So next time you break a wing mount, think to yourself it could have been worse.
20190414_102448.jpg
20190413_173321.jpg

If you take a nasty hit to the wing on a rear end landing, and if something is going to break, you might be better off with the wing mount breaking. I was jumping my Notorious and on a triple I botched the landing.. I came down square on the wing. At first I was happy to see the wing mount in one piece. Upon further inspection I saw that the diff bulkhead and rear wing mount brace were broken instead. This is a much more involved fix since you have to take the whole back end apart and remove the pinion and outdrive. So next time you break a wing mount, think to yourself it could have been worse.
View attachment 35395View attachment 35396
That sucks @bicketybam. With all my tumbles and spills, that kind of damage has yet to find my Notorious. On that note, I have eliminated the wing completely, and shaved down the mounts to be able to still hold the rear brace in place. The new TBR tear wheelie bar is doing a good job replacing the stock one, for now. Time will tell if it can hold up to the constant barrage of hits I tend to put it through. What can I say other than get r done and get back at it Ed.

Attachments

• 15552557498286017093208272949719.jpg
    15552557498286017093208272949719.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 79
This came from a big jump....probably 20 feet high. You've seen my set up. I came down square on the wing (the Notorious is so damn twitchy when it comes to mid air corrections). So it takes a big hit to do this. I've actually done it before on my Kraton. Same deal...rear wing landing. I don't know how people run that HR aluminum wing mount. One decent hit and you would definitely break the diff bulkhead. I could run the HR bulkheads but I don't want to add any more weight to an already heavy truck.

I’ve done this two times and both times I’ve had to replace that darn wing mount brace. But in order to do that you have to purchase the entire bulkhead. Voltage hobbies now sells that piece alone, which I purchased. I wonder if that piece will be discontinued due to the new tower to tower set up.

I finally removed my rear wing mount due to getting sick of bending it back straight, breaking screws, or breaking it off entirely. Someone had recommended getting the rear parts for the 6S senton and I installed last night. Worked like a charm. Very clean looking.

I finally removed my rear wing mount due to getting sick of bending it back straight, breaking screws, or breaking it off entirely. Someone had recommended getting the rear parts for the 6S senton and I installed last night. Worked like a charm. Very clean looking.
Can you post a couple pics of the senton setup installed on your truck?

Can you post a couple pics of the senton setup installed on your truck?
Sure. I am in the process of rebuilding so excuse the mess. Lol.

Attachments

• 06809838-BB44-48BD-B92F-9C779284CAF6.jpeg
    06809838-BB44-48BD-B92F-9C779284CAF6.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 93
  • F879FA61-8C90-4F6A-8862-61FE92F14B32.jpeg
    F879FA61-8C90-4F6A-8862-61FE92F14B32.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 86
Sure. I am in the process of rebuilding so excuse the mess. Lol.
I did the same thing using broken wing mounts. Bye bye wing, I've replaced those mounts for the last time.
20190414_113018.jpg

I did the same thing using broken wing mounts. Bye bye wing, I've replaced those mounts for the last time.View attachment 36245
How are you liking the TBR wheelie bar? Have you used it for a while? I am a little concerned about it ripping out the rear A arms pins due to where it’s attached. I had the front one for my Noto but screws just kept pulling through the plastic or just tearing the eyehole. They replaced the parts but every time I go out, it breaks somewhere else. I finally gave up and bought a typing front bumper for it to try.

How are you liking the TBR wheelie bar? Have you used it for a while? I am a little concerned about it ripping out the rear A arms pins due to where it’s attached. I had the front one for my Noto but screws just kept pulling through the plastic or just tearing the eyehole. They replaced the parts but every time I go out, it breaks somewhere else. I finally gave up and bought a typing front bumper for it to try.
I'm using the T-Bone Kraton parts, front and back. Both came with the separate hinge pin blocks. The blocks are both holding nicely, but I used longer screws to attach them. I measured the depth of the hole with the blocks, and used the longest cap head screws that fit, more shank and less thread, to attach. They make the braces out of thinner material, and I think that's on purpose. If the brace takes all the force and snaps, easy fix. They've sent me a few spares for the front, and I ordered a few for the back. I'm pleasantly surprised how well the rear wheelie bar is holding up. Tons of rolls and cartwheels, and a few direct hit landings on the rear. So far, still in one piece.

I tried to run without my rear wing mount and found out the hard way it actually adds support to the rear bulkhead.
w4onL9o.jpg

I tried to run without my rear wing mount and found out the hard way it actually adds support to the rear bulkhead.
View attachment 36247
I still have a mount. It just doesn’t have the wing portion on it. If you look closely you will see the senton mount, mounts the same way as a wing mount with out the wing portion that protrudes.

I still have a mount. It just doesn’t have the wing portion on it. If you look closely you will see the senton mount, mounts the same way as a wing mount with out the wing portion that protrudes.
How can you fly without a wing?! ??

I busted one of the pieces on my RPM mount, then just cut them both short so they are still there to support the bulkhead/rear brace. Just nothing to protect the rear tower anymore except the body... it ain't happy about that. lol

No I was just showing what can happen if you don't run one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back