Senton somewhat modded senton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentonist

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
So some of you guys (bicketybam being one) might have seen a couple of my posts in the past asking for assistance on my senton 3s. So first thing that happened, I put 12mm hex's on there, but they were too wide, and ended up chewing out the steering blocks and rear hubs, and one of the new wheels (I got a set of bfgoodrich baja kr2's, decided to keep them in the back for now), and seized a bunch of bearings. So I swapped out both the inner and outer wheel bearings, did a little research and found 12mm hexes that will actually fit on the senton, called Tekno 1654x, really great hex. Then my esc started acting strange, beginning with the time it was acting on its own, it would stutter the forward throttle, even though the throttle trim was at factory defaults according to the manual. So with that happening, it would show signs that it's starting to act up, then it would just full throttle, even though the tx was still on and transmitting signal to the rx, I could still steer while it was charging aimlessly. So I let it sit for a couple days, and tried it out again for kicks and grins, and for whatever reason, it was working just fine. So I pressed on for a couple days in fear that it would act up again, being an idiot for taking that risk lol. But it never acted on its own again. The next issue was the esc would start cogging (this is the blx 100 esc) really badly, to a point where it would not even drive, and the esc would end up shutting itself off. So I let it sit for a day, and the next day it worked again. Really strange how that works.. lol. So I noticed the steering was having some sort of issue, it would only turn in one direction, even though nothing was stuck by the steering servo. Then the esc finally just quit, so I took it to my LHS today, and got a castle sw4 (in love with it and the turbine noise it makes), and noticed the steering was not even responding. So the guy hooked up another servo to the rx, and it worked. So I got a savox sw-0230mg servo, and it worked so amazingly it almost makes me happy being flat broke lol

A major reason for posting this is for the event that someone else in my similar situation is looking for help on this sort of deal.
(Note: both the steering servo and the esc were covered under warranty, horizon said that they would supply me a 130a Dynamite Fuze esc, capable of 4s. I did a little research on that, and it definitely had some similar flaws that the blx 100 shared. So I talked to a guy at horizon hobby named Bill, and he said that they would be more than happy to reimburse me for money spent on the servo and esc towards website-credit at horizonhobby.com. The castle sw4 was 85 bucks, and they said they will reimburse that. Since the servo was last second there, the support desk already closed, but that's something that should be covered under warranty, and should get the 35 bucks I spent for that towards store credit as well)

Very cool. My electronics are stock, so this will be helpful when I decide to look to upgrade. Really awesome that Horizon is honoring the warranty even if its store credit! I haven't had to use the warranty so I'm not sure if that is commonplace these days or not.

Very cool. My electronics are stock, so this will be helpful when I decide to look to upgrade. Really awesome that Horizon is honoring the warranty even if its store credit! I haven't had to use the warranty so I'm not sure if that is commonplace these days or not.
Originally they were going to send me a new esc, and product support ended the call saying that it will take 3-5 days to ship, so 1 week later I called again and they said that they were actually out of stock on them (dynamite 130a fuze), so I asked if some sort of reimbursement was possible, and the guy went and talked with his manager for a bit, and he said it was fine to do that. So yeah, I like how horizon really tries to keep you a happy customer

Wow, I've never dealt with Horizon but after hearing about your experience I will definitely consider my future purchases with them.

(Update) So... I could've sworn I was crystal clear with the product support at horizon hobby. So I called again, told the same guy that I had emailed him a receipt from the store, and the last time we spoke together, I asked if "I could go to my LHS and just buy whatever compatible ESC they had, and if I could get website credit for it," so the guy saw the receipt, and he said that he cannot reimburse me for the ESC I bought. So apparently he had not mentioned that whatever I buy has to be propriatory to the company, and I could have only bought dynamite or blx. So now I'm just considering the castle sw4 ESC I bought as an upgrade instead of a replacement, but fortunately (somehow) the servo is going to be covered despite being savox brand (which I don't think is associated with horizon). So thats a bit disappointing.

Essentially, instead of your esc powering the servo (and fans) in your rig, that thing will.

Your esc powers everything else at 5V, and if you want 6v you’ll need a bec. Basically you’ll have to go into the receiver box and unplug a baby connector and plug in the bec connector. I’ll explain more later if you’re serious.

Ahh ok. The way you explained that made it much easier to understand than from what I've heard others say, so thanks! I guess that little cable to comes out of the top part of the esc is what powers the fan and the servo? If that's the case, then getting like you mentioned a 6v BEC would make the servo/fan run faster?

Yup, exactly. This is what you’re looking at correct?

(The 3 colored wire I mean)
If so yeah, that’s it. The white wire is the signal wire, it’s the one that the esc communicates through to the receiver.

The red wire is the positive power lead, that supplies your onboard electronics (servo and fan) with power.

The black is the negative lead. Same thing as above, except it’s the ground. (You know how electricity works, every time you have a positive a negative is there to go with it)

That big black wire on the right is for something else. Not related to the stuff above.

Last edited:
Hmm... mine seems a little bit different. I have the switch cable, the cable coming from the fan area, and the yellow-red-brown wire.

Attachments

• 20190219_205519.jpg
    20190219_205519.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 24
Correct! That's because you're using a castle esc. Your yellow is the sensor wire. Your red is the positive, and your brown is the negative.

Can't help but notice your servo. Is that a savox 0231MG? I run 2 in my e revo :D

Correct! That's because you're using a castle esc. Your yellow is the sensor wire. Your red is the positive, and your brown is the negative.

Can't help but notice your servo. Is that a savox 0231MG? I run 2 in my e revo :D
I see! You have very good eyes, you're close but it's the 0230MG

Ahhhh darn. Close but no cigar. I have had many Castle esc’s throughout the years. Let me know if you need anything else or have questions.

(Update) Ok... now I'm really confused about the whole deal with horizon hobby. First they say that they would reimburse me (in a certain way) for buying an ESC of my own choice, then I call them after sending an e-mail of the receipt, and they say that they cannot give me credit for using it towards something that is not proprietary to horizon hobby, but they said they would still give credit for the servo. So just this morning, I check my e-mails, and the same guy I was dealing with sent me a reply to my e-mail, saying that "$129.98 has been put on your account." I don't know what just happened, but I'm glad I got my money lol

(Update) Ok... now I'm really confused about the whole deal with horizon hobby. First they say that they would reimburse me (in a certain way) for buying an ESC of my own choice, then I call them after sending an e-mail of the receipt, and they say that they cannot give me credit for using it towards something that is not proprietary to horizon hobby, but they said they would still give credit for the servo. So just this morning, I check my e-mails, and the same guy I was dealing with sent me a reply to my e-mail, saying that "$129.98 has been put on your account." I don't know what just happened, but I'm glad I got my money lol
I had some issues with them when an ECX I had went batty. They told me I had to send it in to troubleshoot it, but then kept sending me parts. In the end, they sent me a new truck, so I won't complain. Confusing though... All that really matters is that they held up their end of the agreement.

I had some issues with them when an ECX I had went batty. They told me I had to send it in to troubleshoot it, but then kept sending me parts. In the end, they sent me a new truck, so I won't complain. Confusing though... All that really matters is that they held up their end of the agreement.
Yeah, it sure seems that way lol. It's a weird thing they do, but yea like you said they eventually hold up their end of the stick

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back