Kraton Soon to be a Kraton owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duggin

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
After looking at the Kraton 6s the Emaxx and Serpent Cobra I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Kraton.
I had been in the hobby for many years and stepped away for about 12 years so there is going to be a learning curve going from nitro to electric. I used to run Associated GT's and a Sportwerk Truggy.

I've been scouring the internet for info and found this great site.
In addition to the Kraton I've ordered a Venom Dual pro 80w charger and two Power Hobby 6s 5200mh batteries.
First question, what kind of run time can I expect? I was thinking of getting two more batteries but it sounds like I need to buy a better radio system for the Kraton first thing
Question two. I don't want to spend a lot on new radio gear. Will the Futaba 3PRKA work?
I plan on upgrading the servo, servo mount, bearings and chassis braces also.

A spektrum dx5 series is a good starter transmitter. You should get plenty of run time. M2c is the best for braces. GKA makes a good servo mount. Jim’s bearings are my pick for bearings

Is plenty of run time 30 minutes per pack or ?

probably 15-20 min but you'll need to have a cool down if not running fans

My one friend with a Techno Truggy is getting around 15 minutes and my other with a Maxx I’d getting 30 plus. I’m getting 15 minutes out of my Sportwerks Nitro with the added fuel tank. I was hopping for around 30 minutes with the Kraton.
Sounds like I need a couple more batteries. As far as the fan it looks like the Kraton is equipped with an ESC fan already.

My one friend with a Techno Truggy is getting around 15 minutes and my other with a Maxx I’d getting 30 plus. I’m getting 15 minutes out of my Sportwerks Nitro with the added fuel tank. I was hopping for around 30 minutes with the Kraton.
Sounds like I need a couple more batteries. As far as the fan it looks like the Kraton is equipped with an ESC fan already.
You’ll need A yeah racing dual fan

The added fans are for the motor.

I'm suppose to get my truck today from the LHS. I've got a Venom charger and four Hobby power 6s 5200mh batteries. One of those 25g servos. Still waiting on the servo mount and motor fans.
Should I pick up new radio gear today? the LHS stocks the DX5 & DX3. The store owner recommended I try the stock transmitter to see if I need to replace it. But I don't want to go to run my new truck and then have a problem with the transmitter and be sidelined while my buddies are ripping their rigs.

Should I pick up new radio gear today? the LHS stocks the DX5 & DX3. The store owner recommended I try the stock transmitter to see if I need to replace it. But I don't want to go to run my new truck and then have a problem with the transmitter and be sidelined while my buddies are ripping their rigs.

The STX2 is not good, but it's not completely unusable. I would definitely upgrade at some point. The DX3/5 series may be overkill if you don't plan on getting more trucks (and don't need to run more than one at a time). There are a number of threads about alternative radios.

You should get at least 2x20-30 minutes, all depending on how heavy your finger is. I usually break something before I'm through 2x4000 6s packs :D

IMHO a servo mount is not necessary, just use longer screws through the chassis into the mount legs and lose the rubber pieces on top.

No reason the Futaba you mention wouldn't work, if you already have one. Seems like an old model, maybe get a FS GT5 for around the same price if you're buying a new one. Even cheaper radios will be better than that abortion of a stock radio.

I'm suppose to get my truck today from the LHS. I've got a Venom charger and four Hobby power 6s 5200mh batteries. One of those 25g servos. Still waiting on the servo mount and motor fans.
I understand where you're coming from regarding not wanting to spend money on unnecessary mods so I'll share my experience using the STX2 with you and let it be your call if you want to get a radio now or see how the stock works. My V4 Kraton 6S was my first Arrma over a year ago. Even then the STX2 got nothing but bad reviews. I ran it for a month or so and had no issues with it. Then I got the Typhon 6S and soon after a Notorious. Both had the STX2 and both had the "glitch" affect. Which is an occasional hesitation with both steering and throttle. It didn't seem to matter what the range was (close or far) and it was sporadic. Not a big deal if out in an open area away from the public and large objects, but I wouldn't recommend bashing anywhere you need precise steering and throttle control 100% of the time. With the glitching I had with the Typhon and Noto I decided to change out all 3 STX2 radios and picked up some Tactics on the cheap from JRC. With the Tactics there was no more glitching.

I recommend if you go with the STX2, for now, make your first test runs in an open area.

I've also heard that HH is replacing the faulty STX2 with a DX3 under warranty program??? Maybe do some more research on that and you may be able to get a decent radio out of HH that should've already been in the box.

With that behind me I've loved bashing with all of my Arrmas. Shame on HH for pairing them with such a POS radio...IMHO!!

The only Futaba I have currently is a 3PDF, ancient technology. The servo mount arrived today so might as well put it in.
Instead of spending $100 or $200 on a new transmitter I’d rather buy more batteries. But if the stx is a pos it’s something I need to buy.
I did find this fix

I understand where you're coming from regarding not wanting to spend money on unnecessary mods so I'll share my experience using the STX2 with you and let it be your call if you want to get a radio now or see how the stock works. My V4 Kraton 6S was my first Arrma over a year ago. Even then the STX2 got nothing but bad reviews. I ran it for a month or so and had no issues with it. Then I got the Typhon 6S and soon after a Notorious. Both had the STX2 and both had the "glitch" affect. Which is an occasional hesitation with both steering and throttle. It didn't seem to matter what the range was (close or far) and it was sporadic. Not a big deal if out in an open area away from the public and large objects, but I wouldn't recommend bashing anywhere you need precise steering and throttle control 100% of the time. With the glitching I had with the Typhon and Noto I decided to change out all 3 STX2 radios and picked up some Tactics on the cheap from JRC. With the Tactics there was no more glitching.

I recommend if you go with the STX2, for now, make your first test runs in an open area.

I've also heard that HH is replacing the faulty STX2 with a DX3 under warranty program??? Maybe do some more research on that and you may be able to get a decent radio out of HH that should've already been in the box.

With that behind me I've loved bashing with all of my Arrmas. Shame on HH for pairing them with such a POS radio...IMHO!!
I think they replace the STX2 with the new STX3.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back