Granite Soooo. . . Rebuilding shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Frankenstein 3S
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite
  4. Typhon 3s
Shaft is mangled and the body was leaking. So I imagine I need the o ring set and what not as well as the shaft deal e o.

What oil do I use and how much?

Shaft is mangled and the body was leaking. So I imagine I need the o ring set and what not as well as the shaft deal e o.

What oil do I use and how much?
Stock oil is 40wt (500cst). The video above covers everything. Just be careful when you tighten the cap back on, it's easy to overtighten because everything is plastic and the shock body can mushroom a little. When too tight the cap o-ring will push out and leak and if not tight enough it will leak and suck air. It may take a couple tries your first time to get it right because it's something you learn by feel when it comes to these shocks. All metal shocks are much easier.

Stock oil is 40wt (500cst). The video above covers everything. Just be careful when you tighten the cap back on, it's easy to overtighten because everything is plastic and the shock body can mushroom a little. When too tight the cap o-ring will push out and leak and if not tight enough it will leak and suck air. It may take a couple tries your first time to get it right because it's something you learn by feel when it comes to these shocks. All metal shocks are much easier.
Am I the only who hasn't even taken my stock shocks apart? I pulled them off before I even ran the truck and tossed them in spare parts bin where they leaked all over the place...............

Am I the only who hasn't even taken my stock shocks apart? I pulled them off before I even ran the truck and tossed them in spare parts bin where they leaked all over the place...............
You are wise, I upgraded first time they blew instead of rebuilding. I only rebuilt some to give them away as spares to sweeten a sale.

The cartridge cap design is crap! They need redesigning from a push fit cartridge cap to a screw on one because the cap doesn't capture and compress the o-rings properly...

The o-rings themselves need to be thicker too... Take out the spacer and use three 2.6x7.2.2 and one stock o-ring in each cartridge instead with a lot of o-ring grease. This worked for me

I think we done good! That's one thing we are super wary about: lots of plastic threads, metal screws into plastic thread. Not cross threading stuff and not stripping things by over tightening is something we're aware of. Working with oil is something new though... anyways! Great success! Thanks again forum people!

We made it. Okay. I have a question regarding oil and springs. Let's say I want a stiffer front suspension. Like I want to jump off a ramp and not bottom out: but I want launch action. Like 'hanshin granite!' What does oil weight (I guess?) Mean? I figure I want action so a super thick oil will slow the action down? I want stronger springs and lighter oil for launch action?

We made it. Okay. I have a question regarding oil and springs. Let's say I want a stiffer front suspension. Like I want to jump off a ramp and not bottom out: but I want launch action. Like 'hanshin granite!' What does oil weight (I guess?) Mean? I figure I want action so a super thick oil will slow the action down? I want stronger springs and lighter oil for launch action?

Good questions...

What these three videos will help

Our own here Razor RC here

Springs should really only be thought for returning the shock. Stock 3s and 6s springs are both great for the weights of the cars

If you're planning on jumping on/off grass and asphalt, you might prefer thicker oil (I've got 900/800 cSt F/R in my 3s Typhon) and maybe a little more spring preload to account for it

If you're more on ruts, rocks and coarse terrain, then the stock setup is set up well for this with the lighter 500 cSt stock oil and spring preload

The cartridge cap design is crap! They need redesigning from a push fit cartridge cap to a screw on one because the cap doesn't capture and compress the o-rings properly...

The o-rings themselves need to be thicker too... Take out the spacer and use three 2.6x7.2.2 and one stock o-ring in each cartridge instead with a lot of o-ring grease. This worked for me
I tried these orings (2.6x7.2.2), They fit tighter on the shock shaft, but that just causes too much resistance on the shock shaft. It was really noticeable and made the shocks stiffer. Changed to traxxas blue orings and haven't looked back. haven't leaked since. :)

So we rebuilt the shock with the stock parts. No leaks after some bashing. We might try different o rings next time. We fiddlesticked the o rings possibly because the shaft was bent on like a 45. They might be okay but we replaced them. Whether we lost it somehow or not we only found 1 o ring and the cartridge in the end cap. We reassembled with 2 o rings and cartridge. No leaks yet. We're thinking a skid plate or a crazier bumper might help. Or maybe like. M m m better driving.

I tried these orings (2.6x7.2.2), They fit tighter on the shock shaft, but that just causes too much resistance on the shock shaft. It was really noticeable and made the shocks stiffer. Changed to traxxas blue orings and haven't looked back. haven't leaked since. :)
I did notice this too but to make up for it I used some extra shock preload spacers. I was just happy it solved the leaking ? I'll check out these Traxxas ones if I need to rebuild them. I'm counting on any later revisions to have some better shocks ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back