Typhon Sorry but 3S vs 6S Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies, why is it more fun? Does it actually handle better? Or or is it just because its a bit slower / less powerful? Or just the physiological factor that if you break it, it’s not too much effort / cost to repair?

Thanks for the reply. Why would you say the 3S is simpler to just grab? Is it just less worry / expense of breaking it? Obviously the prep of charging the batteries etc is pretty similar?

If you had to keep only 1, which would it be?

Also, why not gear up the 6S for the speed runs? Why use the 3S? I would have thought there’d be more potential in the 6S?

It seems that a lot of people who own both seem to say the 3S is more fun. I’m just trying to figure out why that is. Is it just because lighter cars are more fun in general? Or slightly slower cars are more fun / less demanding to drive? Or is it something specifically to do with the Typhon models.

Particulairy interested in people who have owned or used both.

Thanks.
3s batteries are cheap and quick to charge. I absolutely recommend putting a 4s esc in, too. It'll run a little better on 3s, and 4s makes is as fast as- if not faster than- the 6s typhon. The weight difference adds to the easiness of the 3s, too.

For speed runs, I found it cheap & super simple to mod the 3s. Don't forget, though, I usually have at least one or two car's worth of spare parts on hand. I like to tinker.
I can't acknowledge the "pick one" question. They're both different enough that I'm keeping both. 🤣

I have both of them for some years now and run them in a similar way, now days i mostly run them on a 1/8 track with my son, so i feel i have good feel on how they compare.

I would agree that while the 3s requires less maintenance in general (as its not as complex as the 6s, no pillow balls to adjust or CVD's to clean, most screws are screwed into plastic), it's all hindered by the design flaw of the power module. i constantly have to deal with the slipper and the bearing in the motor being killed by sand. It's very rare that the 6s is not able to finish a day at the track (which is around 8-10 packs), but the it's not that rare on the 3s, and it is always either a slipper issue, spur, or motor bearing. when Arrma will fix this issue, it will be a perfect "simple" car. really.

The reason i love to give the 3s to my son to drive is it's all plastic, so parts don't really "bend", if it's not broke then it's still straight and true :), the 6s can be tweaked in all sort of ways.

I would not say that the 3s handles better. Yes the 6s feels heavy, and i would recommend running it only with a light 4s pack and change to a lighter motor (4068 size). then it handled much much better than the 3s, more agile and much more responsive to throttle input, you navigate a turn with the throttle and not the steering. it's very fun. the 3s have a much calmer handling.

as others said, the 3s does have have the advantage that it can be easily converted to a truggyfied buggy or to an on-road car.

as others said, the 3s does have have the advantage that it can be easily converted to a truggyfied buggy or to an on-road car.
Can’t you do the same with the 6s?
I absolutely recommend putting a 4s esc in, too.
Can the stock motor handle 4S?

Can’t you do the same with the 6s?
Not as easily.
To truggify you need to add alot of offset in the knuckles, most people do it by moving to Kraton hubs and axles and hexes.
To adapt for onroad you really need to move to a much thicker center diff oil.

on the 3s you just mount the appropriate wheels and tires, and maybe remove some shock preload spacers.

It's also how much space you have there were 5 of us bashing on Sunday with a mixture of 6s and 3s, my 3s typhon was no slower than the 6s typhon on a tight track. I've also got a 6s hpi Vorza and I was no quicker than the 3s typhon. But on an open field the 3s just isn't fast enough that's where 6s/8s starts to make a difference. So for me it all depends on how much space you have to run them.
+1!

I was also in your position about 6 months back (with the caveat that I knew I would eventually be buying more than one since I have three boys). I went with 3s and think it was the perfect choice. Plenty of speed/power but you can dial it down if need be. Honestly I still think my Granite on 2s is still a blast.
The ONLY time I have ever even considered 6s might be nice is one occasion where we were bashing at a really, really large/flat field - like several wide open acres.

Having said all of that, now that we have a fleet of 2s & 3s trucks, I suspect the next step will be the 4s Outcast, just to crank it up a tiny bit!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back