Sorry, newbie pinion question, please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloclone100

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I just got the Limitless and I am not new to the sport. Does 1200Mah NiCads' ring a bell?

Ever since I got my first Tamiya on-road car, it was a dream to go triple digits. I predicted the battery technology would change and had my sights set for the 'plastic battery'. Well, none yet but there are some exciting technologies. Brushless was an exciting step forward, but now you can have 100mph for under $1000.

This is my problem. I have a 1650kv Hobbywing motor and two brand new 3s Lipos. All I did as far as mods are new drive shafts and aluminum braces. Also, a motor mount, Max6, Capak, and gyro. Everything else is stock. So, my questions:
Can I gear 39/39 with 6s? Any further?

Thanks a lot, you guys have been great. -Dave

The max6 will limit your continuous current draw to 160A, thus on 6S you can pull about 4kW of power
max idle rpm is 40590, max on load 30-33k
33k max will give you 115mph on 39/39, but that's not a first try realistic goal with just 4kW.
34/39 will give you 100mph with some margin. But you will likely exceed the max ampdraw protection of the esc, unless you are really good on the trigger. I'd start with that, see when you hit that protection mode of the esc. Maybe even smaller if you have the pinions at hand.
ps Hoons have slightly bigger diameter. I kept my foam diameter, so my figures might be slightly off.
pps Half decent lipo's should be able to deliver that 160A so that should not be a limited factor

The max6 will limit your continuous current draw to 160A, thus on 6S you can pull about 4kW of power
33k max will give you 115mph on 39/39, but that's not a first try realistic goal with just 4kW.
34/39 will give you 100mph with some margin. But you will likely exceed the max ampdraw protection of the esc, unless you are really good on the trigger. I'd start with that, see when you hit that protection mode of the esc. Maybe even smaller if you have the pinions at hand.
ps Hoons have slightly bigger diameter. I kept my foam diameter, so my figures might be slightly off.
pps Half decent lipo's should be able to deliver that 160A so that should not be a limited factor
I've been racing since rheostat control ESCs. I have done 92 on my T4, but the venue was a huge parking lot. More like an airport. I just won't do serious speed runs where there are curbs, distractions, etc.

Please, if you have a moment (I can already tell you know what you're doing),
Firstly, do you use a radio battery? Being an electronic tech, I made my own cap-buster, but no other mod (except Futaba GYC411).
Next, what type of Doons for draggin (South Carolina, all year fun). GRP?

Lastly, the gears that come with the car do not mesh perfectly with the ones that I have stamped M1 on them. The teeth are different and although it's not much, I like it a bit tighter. Will this change?

Thanks in advance buddy, stay safe. -Dave

I use a flysky NB4, where i did not attach a range extender yet. Had it on my IT4. For high speeds (120+ mph) you need a lot of range as grip/ampdraw restricts acceleration and therefor you need a lot of road (with clear view and no/low traffic)
I don't use a gyro. On high speeds it's counter effective.

GRP tires are the best grip-wise. I am not a Carolina weather expert, so no clue what S-rate would fit your purpose. I run S5 on hot days here and go down to S3 on colder days. Once you comfortable reach 130's, grp will fail and you will have to switch to (no grip) foam tires like BSR's

As for meshing, it should be lose enough to grind a piece of paper in between. All M1 should be the same, but quality can be different. If they don't mesh well, a tooth will break quickly. I don't run gears which don't run smoothly.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yea, I have returned to the hobby since...well, my last car was an Xray T4 2016, which I ran at 92mph. I have been with Xray since the '2007',
When I started, in 1984-5 they were running 1200Mah with 6s NiCads. Then the 7s came out. But since the first day I ran my Road Wizard, I was dreaming 100mph (without sponsorship or emptying the bank. Then in 2011 or so, Traxxas came out with the 100mph 'out of the box'. Well, it may not have said it exactly, but it's what people expected.
For some reason, maybe my trust in the R&D, I balked. Sure enough, you needed extra parts and an ESC/battery combo not yet perfected. Sure enough, not too many people will remember it. But Now. We are in the days I'd hope to see. We really are bound only by physics (the way we know it today).
Stay safe, Dave.

100+mph out of the box was indeed their marketing back then

For me the XO-1 was also a trigger to get into speedrunning. But I hated the out of the box idea and the cost. I prefer to do my own R&D and (sometimes stupid) experiments. Made several prototypes before i started using rollers (serpent, hobao, arrma) just to have a decent platform.

Nowadays 100mph is easy, the challenge is to get up to 150/160

I've had my T3 '12, up to about 92mph, but the limit is space. I lived in New York at the time.
I have since relocated to South Carolina and I know it won't be hard to find a spot.
I watch all the videos and see these side and utility roads that look like landing strips to me.

The batteries are here, as are the shafts and electronics. If I get lucky, sometime this week.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I have been running these cars since 1982. When I saw my friend's '82 Porsche Le Mans, painted just like the box.
At first, I wasn't expecting anything for real and then he hit the throttle. I mean he was packing some 1200MaH (6c) NiCads and an early Futaba ESC.
It was housed in a metal box and was maybe 3"x1.5"x1". All I knew was that I picked the best time to get into the sport because it was changing so quickly. I loved it. Every month after month, until they invented the 7c NiCad battery!
After that was how big a pinion should you run?

And then I went to the Westchester Radio Control Show. It was there is found a small table with maybe 4 or 5 people in it. It turned out to be Castle Creations. That's how early in the game it was.
Why do I keep thinking that I should have stayed with Castle? I've heard rumors of cutting out, not that good range, I mean Futaba and Spektrum NEVER gave me a bad time. As far as he gearing, I have two 40s, pinion and spur. Too much?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back