Outcast Sorry Noob Questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slfmde

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi Guys

I’m brand new to RC so please bare with me. I purchased a VKAR Bison V2 and few days ago and quickly learned it’s junk. In fact I haven’t even received it yet and plan on leavig it in the box as a spare.

Research brought me here and I’m going to buy an OutKast. I have a few questions and they are below.
  1. Batteies: I purchased two Gen Ace 5000mah with Deans. They were for the Bison but I want to use them on the OutKast if possible. Is it OK to use adapters in the car like this (https://www.ebay.com/i/272708906822) is that what I would need?

2. Is it OK just to run a single 3s so I can get the hang of this beast?

3. Will two hardback 2s batteries fit or do you guys run soft packs?
I have more questions but that will help me for now. Thanks!

Assuming your new batteries are Deans /Tplug, then yes, I think that is the correct adaptor.

Running on 3s works.

Running on 2s may even be possible. Some say it worked for them, some say it did not.

2 hardcase 2s batteries should fit fine, so long as they are standard "ROAR" packs.

Last - The Bison is not junk. Not Arrma tough, but a decent truck. Just don't beat it too hard. :)

Assuming your new batteries are Deans /Tplug, then yes, I think that is the correct adaptor.

Running on 3s works.

Running on 2s may even be possible. Some say it worked for them, some say it did not.

2 hardcase 2s batteries should fit fine, so long as they are standard "ROAR" packs.

Last - The Bison is not junk. Not Arrma tough, but a decent truck. Just don't beat it too hard. :)

Thank you. Bought the outcast and a slew of other parts today.

2nd on the Bison isn't junk. It's a 1/10 , apples and oranges. For the money, roughly half of what Arrma costs, it seems to be solid. Bash it until it dies, fix, and do i5 again.

As far as the outcast, check the C rating on those batteries. Arrma says at least 35C for these bigger trucks. Most of my 1/10 lipos are 30C I think. It wouldn't stop me from using them, but it may damage them if your overdrawing.

2nd on the Bison isn't junk. It's a 1/10 , apples and oranges. For the money, roughly half of what Arrma costs, it seems to be solid. Bash it until it dies, fix, and do i5 again.

As far as the outcast, check the C rating on those batteries. Arrma says at least 35C for these bigger trucks. Most of my 1/10 lipos are 30C I think. It wouldn't stop me from using them, but it may damage them if your overdrawing.

Thanks they are 50c but I'm think I'm just going to order a couple others. Not sure I like the idea of using the adapter. Below is a list of upgrades I ordered, did I miss anything? Just tried to hit the items that break and items to prevent breaking.

TBR Stunt Truck Rear Bumper w/ Wheelie Bar
TBR V2 Basher Front Bumper
RPM Rear A-arms
RPM Front A-arms
RPM Wing Mounts
RPM Rear Skid Plate
Hot Racing AON24M02 Aluminum Steering Servo Mount
Hot Racing AON28C01 Aluminum Front Chassis Brace
Hot Racing AON30X01 Aluminum Rear Chassis Brace
Hot Racing Dirt Guard Chassis Cover
Fan Mod

Last edited:
Thanks they are 50c but I'm think I'm just going to order a couple others. Not sure I like the idea of using the adapter. Below is a list of upgrades I ordered, did I miss anything? Just tried to hit the items that break and items to prevent breaking.

TBR Stunt Truck Rear Bumper w/ Wheelie Bar
TBR V2 Basher Front Bumper
RPM Rear A-arms
RPM Front A-arms
RPM Wing Mounts
RPM Rear Skid Plate
Hot Racing AON24M02 Aluminum Steering Servo Mount
Hot Racing AON28C01 Aluminum Front Chassis Brace
Hot Racing AON30X01 Aluminum Rear Chassis Brace
Hot Racing Dirt Guard Chassis Cover
Fan Mod

This covers may of the perceived weak points from the previous generation. I don't think the TBR bumper has been fixed to fit the Outcast V2 yet though. They list "2018" on the Kraton stuff, but their outcast stuff doesn't have the same distinction. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

A lot of this stuff was addressed in the V2 updates for 2018, and even though I immediately want to take my stuff apart and upgrade things, I'm gonna just run mine a bit and see what I actually need to fix. I'll order A arms regardless, b/c I always break those, but besides that....

Oh, I would grab a couple of Robinson mod 1 pinions (12 and 16T if you want the same sizes Arrma gives us) and maybe a mid-grade servo.

This covers may of the perceived weak points from the previous generation. I don't think the TBR bumper has been fixed to fit the Outcast V2 yet though. They list "2018" on the Kraton stuff, but their outcast stuff doesn't have the same distinction. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

A lot of this stuff was addressed in the V2 updates for 2018, and even though I immediately want to take my stuff apart and upgrade things, I'm gonna just run mine a bit and see what I actually need to fix. I'll order A arms regardless, b/c I always break those, but besides that....

Oh, I would grab a couple of Robinson mod 1 pinions (12 and 16T if you want the same sizes Arrma gives us) and maybe a mid-grade servo.

Shoot thanks for the info. I have been doing a lot of reading but it was hard to figure out who had what version when they talked about failing parts. I just read the the actual list of v2 updates which I guess I should have done before hand. I'm going to cancel most of the items and take your approach. I emailed TBR to ask about the bumpers and will report back for those interested.

Shoot thanks for the info. I have been doing a lot of reading but it was hard to figure out who had what version when they talked about failing parts. I just read the the actual list of v2 updates which I guess I should have done before hand. I'm going to cancel most of the items and take your approach. I emailed TBR to ask about the bumpers and will report back for those interested.

No problem. For clarifications sake: I'm not saying they are all fixed, just that I don't know that they're still problems. I feel like the jury is still out on a lot of it (i.e. do the new chassis braces stand up over time). V2 has only been out a few months, and it takes a significant sample size to establish trends ya know?

Looking forward to what TBR says about the bumper!

No problem. For clarifications sake: I'm not saying they are all fixed, just that I don't know that they're still problems. I feel like the jury is still out on a lot of it (i.e. do the new chassis braces stand up over time). V2 has only been out a few months, and it takes a significant sample size to establish trends ya know?

Looking forward to what TBR says about the bumper!

I gotcha. Received a reply back from TBR, super nice guy.

Unfortunately we have not gotten the 2018 Outcast in, so we do not know what will or will not fit it. We know that Arrma added a front bumper to most of their 2018 cars, which rendered our front bumpers unusable.The rear bumpers should still work fine, but the wheelie bars are unknown.
We are sorry for the confusion, would you like to cancel your order?[\quote]

Hi Guys

I’m brand new to RC so please bare with me. I purchased a VKAR Bison V2 and few days ago and quickly learned it’s junk. In fact I haven’t even received it yet and plan on leavig it in the box as a spare.

Research brought me here and I’m going to buy an OutKast. I have a few questions and they are below.
  1. Batteies: I purchased two Gen Ace 5000mah with Deans. They were for the Bison but I want to use them on the OutKast if possible. Is it OK to use adapters in the car like this (https://www.ebay.com/i/272708906822) is that what I would need?

2. Is it OK just to run a single 3s so I can get the hang of this beast?

3. Will two hardback 2s batteries fit or do you guys run soft packs?
I have more questions but that will help me for now. Thanks!
I just want to start off by saying filling the truck full of aluminum parts isn't always a good thing. The aluminum parts don't flex like the plastic. Putting aluminum parts in also adds a lot of weight. So when you jump the truck there's that much more weight coming down on it. I think one of the reasons the xmaxx is so durable is because most of it is plastic. Anyway I would get rid of those Dean's connectors and put some xt90 connectors on it. They handle the voltage much better. I've seen videos where people have problems with those connectors melting and catching fire. Another thing you might want to do is reading up on your ESC. I turned my punch setting down by 1 so that it doesn't always take off like a bat out of hell. It kind of sucked when you would try and turn around and as soon as you touch the throttle it would just want to wheelie or backflip. I only run mine on 6s though. Even with my punch setting turned down it will still Wheelie at any speed. The aluminum wheelie bar mount is a good investment considering I've broken my wheelie bar three times.

I just want to start off by saying filling the truck full of aluminum parts isn't always a good thing. The aluminum parts don't flex like the plastic. Putting aluminum parts in also adds a lot of weight. So when you jump the truck there's that much more weight coming down on it. I think one of the reasons the xmaxx is so durable is because most of it is plastic. Anyway I would get rid of those Dean's connectors and put some xt90 connectors on it. They handle the voltage much better. I've seen videos where people have problems with those connectors melting and catching fire. Another thing you might want to do is reading up on your ESC. I turned my punch setting down by 1 so that it doesn't always take off like a bat out of hell. It kind of sucked when you would try and turn around and as soon as you touch the throttle it would just want to wheelie or backflip. I only run mine on 6s though. Even with my punch setting turned down it will still Wheelie at any speed. The aluminum wheelie bar mount is a good investment considering I've broken my wheelie bar three times.

I canceled almost all those parts. TBR said he doesn’t know if any of the bumpers will fit 2018 version. Went with a few SMC batteries, dust cover, wing mount and fans. Going to see how everything else holds up.

I agree, you do not want to start upgrading everything to aluminum, as it will add weight. Weight is your enemy whether full scale, or 1/8 scale. Adding a bunch of unnecessary weight, your RC will be slower, not handle well, steer worst, & jump less high. And most importantly, your drivetrain, etc will wear quicker due to the strain of the extra weight & your motor temp will be much higher leading to failure.

However, some aluminum parts can be a worthwhile upgrade (worth the extra weight for the protection & durability), especially if breaking chassis braces, etc from big jumps. Not aluminum, but definitely worth the weight increase to upgrade are: TBR front bumper, RPM rear skid plate (only 11.0g) & rear mud guards, which I just did for both my 2018 Kraton & V3 Talion.

TBR makes some really good bumpers, & Nick does offer great customer service. I see Arrma has the same front bumper for the V3 Kraton & Outcast (only difference is the long bumper bar on the Outcast), so I gather TBR's new Kraton bumpers (Thrasher & XV4) will fit the Outcast, but would stick out a bit further. If your Outcast stock bumper looks like it will hold the lower hinge pins in, the new Kraton bumper should fit? Ask Nick at TBR if this will work. TBR's new XV4 bumper also might look good on the Outcast? For example, I have TBR's Typhon basher bumper on my V3 Talion, as kit is their lightest.

I agree, you do not want to start upgrading everything to aluminum, as it will add weight. Weight is your enemy whether full scale, or 1/8 scale. Adding a bunch of unnecessary weight, your RC will be slower, not handle well, steer worst, & jump less high. And most importantly, your drivetrain, etc will wear quicker due to the strain of the extra weight & your motor temp will be much higher leading to failure.

However, some aluminum parts can be a worthwhile upgrade (worth the extra weight for the protection & durability), especially if breaking chassis braces, etc from big jumps. Not aluminum, but definitely worth the weight increase to upgrade are: TBR front bumper, RPM rear skid plate (only 11.0g) & rear mud guards, which I just did for both my 2018 Kraton & V3 Talion.

TBR makes some really good bumpers, & Nick does offer great customer service. I see Arrma has the same front bumper for the V3 Kraton & Outcast (only difference is the long bumper bar on the Outcast), so I gather TBR's new Kraton bumpers (Thrasher & XV4) will fit the Outcast, but would stick out a bit further. If your Outcast stock bumper looks like it will hold the lower hinge pins in, the new Kraton bumper should fit? Ask Nick at TBR if this will work. TBR's new XV4 bumper also might look good on the Outcast? For example, I have TBR's Typhon basher bumper on my V3 Talion, as kit is their lightest.

I talked to Nick at TBR already. He said he hasn’t seen a 2018 yet so he doesn’t know what will or will not fit. I had the bumpers ordered and we canceled them. I quoted his email a few post up.

Last edited:
Who is Nick from tbone racing I've been trying to get my bumper that was ordered 3 weeks ago and still hasn't arrived. My lhs has tried to contact them multiple times by phone and email with no response. If anyone could help me to get in contact with someone from their customer service department it would b greatly appreciated.

Who is Nick from tbone racing I've been trying to get my bumper that was ordered 3 weeks ago and still hasn't arrived. My lhs has tried to contact them multiple times by phone and email with no response. If anyone could help me to get in contact with someone from their customer service department it would b greatly appreciated.

I replied to my order email and maybe 1-2hrs later had a response back. I would check your spam.

I have tried to email them and so has my hobby shop that ordered it and still havnt got a response I just went thro my spam mail and I have nothing

This is what happens when you run the wrong c rating in an arrma that calls for a 35c minimum.
20170405_152123.jpg

This is what happens when you run the wrong c rating in an arrma that calls for a 35c minimum. View attachment 16042
Dang! That's one hell of a custom paintjob. Hope everybody was fine and the vehicle had minimal damage. This is why all of my batteries are 50c or above. It's not worth risking everything to save a couple bucks on lower output, lower quality lipos.

Dang! That's one hell of a custom paintjob. Hope everybody was fine and the vehicle had minimal damage. This is why all of my batteries are 50c or above. It's not worth risking everything to save a couple bucks on lower output, lower quality lipos.

Completely agree 50c discharge or higher unless your trying 2 get that custom paint job as Chevys would call it lol.

Completely agree 50c discharge or higher unless your trying 2 get that custom paint job as Chevys would call it lol.
Yeah, got a little anxious on the second day of ownership to run it on 6s. All I had at the time was 2 traxxas 3s 5000mah 25c, was the funnest ten minutes I had had in a while.........lmao. Lesson learned, don't run cheap poop in a good rc......lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back