Spectruk smart chargers with non-specktrum batteries!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mb_248

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Vorteks
Ok, I have a specktrum question. Will the s2100 or any other specktrum charger charge non-specktrum batteries?? I tried to stick with the specktrum stuff but also have some zeee batts from Amazon and will likely be getting more (maybe other brands as well) so I am wondering if I'm going to need to purchase multiple chargers. 🥴

I have two 3300 nimh packs that came with the boost trucks
One 2s 5000 50c spektrum
One 3s 5000 50c specltrum and s150 charger combo along with another 5000 3s spectrum pack coming next week

Also have two 2s 5200 50c zeeee packs from Amazon and a prophet sport mini charger.

Please keep in mind, most of this is to just get us up and going. I like the tech with the smart packs but if they limit you to only being able to use specktrum chargers and if those said chargers will only charge specktrum batts, I need to male a decision on ditching them or not. I know its a lot to keep up with but I want one or two multiple channel chargers to charge everything. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, I have a specktrum question. Will the s2100 or any other specktrum charger charge non-specktrum batteries?? I tried to stick with the specktrum stuff but also have some zeee batts from Amazon and will likely be getting more (maybe other brands as well) so I am wondering if I'm going to need to purchase multiple chargers. 🥴

I have two 3300 nimh packs that came with the boost trucks
One 2s 5000 50c spektrum
One 3s 5000 50c specltrum and s150 charger combo along with another 5000 3s spectrum pack coming next week

Also have two 2s 5200 50c zeeee packs from Amazon and a prophet sport mini charger.

Please keep in mind, most of this is to just get us up and going. I like the tech with the smart packs but if they limit you to only being able to use specktrum chargers and if those said chargers will only charge specktrum batts, I need to male a decision on ditching them or not. I know its a lot to keep up with but I want one or two multiple channel chargers to charge everything. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Yup. It will know the batteries aren’t smart and as long as you set the proper parameters you’re good.

The charger has the plug in for balance leads and has manual set points, so, YES it will charge the off brand, but why? when the spectrum are so easy to use and have so many options.

I'm perfectly ok using the specktrum batteries but dang, they are pricey. I have had good luck with the Amazon batteries in the past and it's hard to turn down the value of them.

Like the old saying, you get what you pay for. Yes the cheap batteries are tempting, but, one losses a big safety factor away from the smart batteries. I like the charger monitors the battery temp while charging and stops charging before a battery can blow up on the charger, as seems the cause of most lipo fires. Another big one for me is the auto discharge to storage, which is a big pain and takes forever. So many times change to go and things change and don't go. Do not have to go back and discharge to storage. And they keep track of cycle times. To me in the long run the smart batteries are a bargain Also I think about the cost of a rc truck and how much there is to loose if a cheap battery goes off and burns up the electronic and/or car. Or blows up on charger and burns down one's house. Smart are very cheap in the bigger pictures to me and so worth it.

Like the old saying, you get what you pay for. Yes the cheap batteries are tempting, but, one losses a big safety factor away from the smart batteries. I like the charger monitors the battery temp while charging and stops charging before a battery can blow up on the charger, as seems the cause of most lipo fires. Another big one for me is the auto discharge to storage, which is a big pain and takes forever. So many times change to go and things change and don't go. Do not have to go back and discharge to storage. And they keep track of cycle times. To me in the long run the smart batteries are a bargain Also I think about the cost of a rc truck and how much there is to loose if a cheap battery goes off and burns up the electronic and/or car. Or blows up on charger and burns down one's house. Smart are very cheap in the bigger pictures to me and so worth it.
If you’re relying on the batteries built in discharge then you aren’t doing yourself any favors. It’s a safety measure, not a tool. And any lipo has the potential to go up in flames. The Spektrum batteries aren’t magic. You can get better batteries for less money and if you follow simple rules then you’ll exponentially decrease your chances of anything happening.

First self discharge/storage battery were sold by DJI with there drones. And a BIG yes it was to self discharge to storage voltage and so are the Smart batteries. The hard case batteries have a metal plate to make the self storage mode better. So much false information is always put out for new, break the mold, products. My observation over many years on net is the false information is almost always from someone selling a product the new tech challenges.

Go to Spectrum Smart batteries and read about it.

Says something about helping to hold the heat down as well as given more crash protetion. There are now several example of self discharging to storage lipo batteries. DJI, Spectrum and a new one that has a button to show charge and after 5 days does a self discharge to storage. Amain had a video on it. A big step in the right direction for safety and the RC hobby. Storage is one big safety step the other that only Spectrum has at this time, is temp monitor during charging. To me, that is the biggest safety factor that is much needed. To many try to keep using a wore out battery "one more time" to have there house burn down. Seems to happen at least once every year.

Says something about helping to hold the heat down as well as given more crash protetion. There are now several example of self discharging to storage lipo batteries. DJI, Spectrum and a new one that has a button to show charge and after 5 days does a self discharge to storage. Amain had a video on it. A big step in the right direction for safety and the RC hobby. Storage is one big safety step the other that only Spectrum has at this time, is temp monitor during charging. To me, that is the biggest safety factor that is much needed. To many try to keep using a wore out battery "one more time" to have there house burn down. Seems to happen at least once every year.
It’s the new gens-ace-r-spam#@! Batteries that have this. I bought a 6s one for my Fireteam and so far, so good. While I know we should all do our own batt maintenance, it’s nice to have the extra feature. I prefer the gens over the Spektrum myself.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back