speed issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Chap82

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
my typhon used to scream on any surface when it was “truggified”
i had to swap all parts to another chassis when i noticed it was bent, after doing so it has been rather “slow” in speed, gps only reads 44mph apposed to precious around 60mph. motor/gears/esc are stock, only previous changes were A-arms and tires/wheels. i went back to typhon arms, swapped to grp tires, installed spektrum SR315 receiver. i did a cleaning on all the bearings and oiled them, checked all settings on new spektrum dx5c, everything is correct and my kraton still hits the 70mph mark with same receiver.
could the motor or esc be hurt? i want to upgrade both anyway, just want to figure out before i do a motor/esc upgrade and throw a significant gear change and get less than expected.

thanks, justin

my typhon used to scream on any surface when it was “truggified”
i had to swap all parts to another chassis when i noticed it was bent, after doing so it has been rather “slow” in speed, gps only reads 44mph apposed to precious around 60mph. motor/gears/esc are stock, only previous changes were A-arms and tires/wheels. i went back to typhon arms, swapped to grp tires, installed spektrum SR315 receiver. i did a cleaning on all the bearings and oiled them, checked all settings on new spektrum dx5c, everything is correct and my kraton still hits the 70mph mark with same receiver.
could the motor or esc be hurt? i want to upgrade both anyway, just want to figure out before i do a motor/esc upgrade and throw a significant gear change and get less than expected.

thanks, justin
GRP tires are smaller than the Katars and you will need to gear up to make up the difference

Same thing happened to me when I switched to a futaba system. Just had to recalibrate.
yes, went through that entire process with both my typhon and kraton. it fixed the kraton completely, not with the typhon though.

GRP tires are smaller than the Katars and you will need to gear up to make up the difference
i thought that, but then i really thought about it, when i had taken the copperheads off the kraton and put the talion katars i had on my typhon onto the kraton it picked up 8mph.
does roll out affect these that much?

yes, went through that entire process with both my typhon and kraton. it fixed the kraton completely, not with the typhon though.

i thought that, but then i really thought about it, when i had taken the copperheads off the kraton and put the talion katars i had on my typhon onto the kraton it picked up 8mph.
does roll out affect these that much?
If you went from copperheads on your Kraton to the smaller Katars, you shouldn't have picked up any speed while using the same gearing.

If you went from copperheads on your Kraton to the smaller Katars, you shouldn't have picked up any speed while using the same gearing.
see below, top slower mph run was earlier in the day. for shits and giggles i swapped the smaller talion (had them on my typhon when i truggified it, they’re not a lot smaller than the copper heads) tires on and went back later in the day. the bottom higher mph was the result.
A37F98D9-20C5-4371-99B5-45337A14E0BE.png
31DE75F4-84D9-4336-9E8D-D354C1B1F82A.png

i have read and watched videos of out of the box typhons hitting 57-62mph with tire/rim combos similar to the grp’s. not sure honestly, i’m new to the electric cars. have multiple 1/10 hpi nitros, they've been sitting since 2005 +/- electric are the way to go from my recent experience though.

i’ll put the stock original katars on the typhon and see if it picks up MPH, then try the larger ones from the talion. what’s the worst that could happen lol.

Last edited:
see below, top slower mph run was earlier in the day. for shits and giggles i swapped the smaller talion (had them on my typhon when i truggified it, they’re not a lot smaller than the copper heads) tires on and went back later in the day. the bottom higher mph was the result.
View attachment 70180View attachment 70181

i have read and watched videos of out of the box typhons hitting 57-62mph with tire/rim combos similar to the grp’s. not sure honestly, i’m new to the electric cars. have multiple 1/10 hpi nitros, they've been sitting since 2005 +/- electric are the way to go from my recent experience though.

i’ll put the stock original katars on the typhon and see if it picks up MPH, then try the larger ones from the talion. what’s the worst that could happen lol.
Where are you getting those reading from? Telemetry? If so, they are not at all reliable. Use a GPS for an accurate reading

so i thought about what you said with wheel/tire combo size. a smaller diameter overall would essentially shorten the gearing, so with a significant size difference between the talion katars to the original typhon katars and to the grp’s i can see why there is significant variance in top speed. also, my kraton does seem faster with the copperheads. when i did the 70mph run with the talion katars i had more real estate to make the run plus less traffic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back