Mojave Speed Pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe8501

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
I'm running an 18 tooth pinion. I regeared a buddy's X Maxx 8s for him. Now he's bragging that "he's just as fast" as I am after I'd give him rolling starts and then walk him down.

I just read the speed pinion chart warning against using that gear with lipos with less than a 35c discharge. How seriously should I heed that warning?

I'm running two 3s lipos with a 25c constant discharge and a 50c max.

Thank you

You should definitely use caution with the speed gear. Because it takes longer to get up to speed max current draw is extended, which can stress batteries whose manufacturer fudged the "C" rating on, or batteries that aren't up to the task generally.

I don't have an answer for you, but I would also consider burst rates. Some friends of mine with basically the same slash were trying to figure out why one was faster. Turns out the 25c, 50c burst battery will just stomp the plain 35c battery. I guess there are different methods for burst rate too... ? I think it's esc related, but some will burst till voltage drop, some burst for 10 seconds, some till overheat... I had to read a lot on batteries the other day, I could be mistaken.

You should definitely use caution with the speed gear. Because it takes longer to get up to speed max current draw is extended, which can stress batteries whose manufacturer fudged the "C" rating on, or batteries that aren't up to the task generally.
Thank you. I went 18t about a week after purchase to try to avoid that 20t and added stress. I may be wrong but I thought the 18 would be a decent compromise.

Yea 18 is a decent compromise. If running in grass and other surfaces that add drag pay attention to motor temperatures. Get yourself an Infrared Temperature meter. A cheap one will do. Anything over 185-190 F / 85-88 C measured at the rear of the motor is too hot and risks damaging the rotor.

Yea 18 is a decent compromise. If running in grass and other surfaces that add drag pay attention to motor temperatures. Get yourself an Infrared Temperature meter. A cheap one will do. Anything over 185-190 F / 85-88 C measured at the rear of the motor is too hot and risks damaging the rotor.
Looking for heat gun, I got a motor fan but still want to watch

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back