Raider Speed Raider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bladerunner

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Raider
I just got the raider xl mega brushed, I also installed the Velineon VXL-3s.
I'm lookin to beef up the tranny and suspension, this buggy is only gonna do speed runs

any ideas for tranny and suspension ??
20161003_162839.jpg

That's awesome man! I am really happy to hear that you have yourself a raider xl mega! I have the same motor in my raider xl and it works great. If you pop in a 3s battery it will do 90km an hour if you use the 15 or 17t pinion and 54 or 57t spur. Your gunna wear those rear tires right off. I would suggest new rear tires for speed runs. Also a wider tire with more tread on the road for the front because your steering will pull left and right with those tires. I would also suggest taking advantage of the warranty you got with your raider. They are really good at sending new parts. As for the tranny I have not heard of any upgrades for it. But it's all metal inside so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I went with STRC aluminum racing shocks. They work great with no problems. Here is a picture.

IMG_6489.JPG

I just ordered some SC 10 street fighter tires by proline. Also I have proline dirt hawg I's on the front.

I'll let you know how my new wheels are when I get them

That's awesome man! I am really happy to hear that you have yourself a raider xl mega! I have the same motor in my raider xl and it works great. If you pop in a 3s battery it will do 90km an hour if you use the 15 or 17t pinion and 54 or 57t spur. Your gunna wear those rear tires right off. I would suggest new rear tires for speed runs. Also a wider tire with more tread on the road for the front because your steering will pull left and right with those tires. I would also suggest taking advantage of the warranty you got with your raider. They are really good at sending new parts. As for the tranny I have not heard of any upgrades for it. But it's all metal inside so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I went with STRC aluminum racing shocks. They work great with no problems. Here is a picture.

View attachment 3113

I just ordered some SC 10 street fighter tires by proline. Also I have proline dirt hawg I's on the front.

20161013_204204.jpg 20161013_204144.jpg 20161013_204144.jpg 20161013_061720.jpg 20161013_061720.jpg 20161013_061720.jpg 20161013_204144.jpg

Thanks i just installed light, i took the buggy apart lastnight..
I have new parts coming in the am.
The stock transmission plastic gears , so i ordered the aluminum motor mount ,new trans case an metal gears..

View attachment 3113

20161013_204204.jpg 20161013_204144.jpg 20161013_204144.jpg 20161013_061720.jpg 20161013_061720.jpg 20161013_061720.jpg 20161013_204144.jpg

Thanks i just installed light, i took the buggy apart lastnight..
I have new parts coming in the am.
The stock transmission plastic gears , so i ordered the aluminum motor mount ,new trans case an metal gears..

Sorry for the extra photos..
My phone sometimes has a mind or its own..

@JBlazer, he has the MEGA, so thats all plastic transmission gears :)

On some places on the forum a list can be found to convert the MEGA into the BLX transmission :)
How do you like the VXL system?
I know on 3s it has a issues in the Traxxas vehicles, it isn't really built voor fast 3s speedruns...

I just bought the mega xl version a few months ago, and it has all metal gears inside. So why isn't the vxl-3s built for speed runs on 3s?

Are you sure?
According to the Arrma site the Raider XL Mega has composite gears as standard parts and metal gears as option parts.

In the Traxxas vehicles myself and a lot of other people have temperature issues on 3s with the Velineon set, it just heats up way to fast, even with the Traxxas recommended gearing.
On 2s it is a great set though and keeps on going.

Are you sure?
According to the Arrma site the Raider XL Mega has composite gears as standard parts and metal gears as option parts.

In the Traxxas vehicles myself and a lot of other people have temperature issues on 3s with the Velineon set, it just heats up way to fast, even with the Traxxas recommended gearing.
Yea the raider xl mega has
Are you sure?

so now I am really confused about the metal gears inside of my raider mega xl. I decided to do a little more research since everyone is saying they don't have metal gears inside. When I purchased my raider mega xl I did it only because it has metal gears inside as I had problems with the composite set inside my 1/10 size mega raider. When I brought it home and first turned it on I could tell right away that there are metal gears inside the transmission. The sound of metal on metal is very distinct and also owning a raider mega 1/10 I know what they sound like as composite gears. Also I have taken apart that gearbox and replaced the composite gears inside several times so I have a little more knowledge than just hearing the sounds.

Online it does say that it has a metal differential gear. I have pulled up a few sources, but on the Arrma site it says very little about gearing. These sites state it has a metal differential but nothing else. So I looked at my manual for the raider mega xl and put the part numbers for the differential and transmission in and they came up as composite. Now I am very confused because it does state that it has metal differential but the manual is saying it's composite.

IMG_6895.PNG

IMG_6896.PNG

I may contact Arrma or hobbico and ask why their manual says the parts are composite because now I'm just really confused about what's going on here.

I know that my red bodied 1/8 Arrma Raider XL Mega came stock with metal gears inside of the gearbox. Weird.

I'm interested in what you find inside the gearbox @Bladerunner please post pictures or updates on what's inside there when you have it apart. Thanks

SO I just got off the phone with a Great Hobbies, and they told me that when the Arrma raider mega xl was first released it had included the composite gearing inside of the gearbox. Arrma had then decided to install metal gears in the factory instead and never updated their manuals because it is too costly. So the current raider xl mega that you would purchase includes metal gearing but does not state unless you manage it get an older raider mega xl. When you go to replace your parts through warranty they will send metal gears.

@JBlazer, he has the MEGA, so thats all plastic transmission gears :)

On some places on the forum a list can be found to convert the MEGA into the BLX transmission :)
How do you like the VXL system?
I know on 3s it has a issues in the Traxxas vehicles, it isn't really built voor fast 3s speedruns...
I haven't had any problems with the VXL
But it did eat the stock tires up..
I ordered new ones already.

I just bought the mega xl version a few months ago, and it has all metal gears inside. So why isn't the vxl-3s built for speed runs on 3s?
Yon is correct, stock raider gears are all plastic, my new metal gears have arrived.
Ill be installing them this evening..
Ill upload photos 2nite

so now I am really confused about the metal gears inside of my raider mega xl. I decided to do a little more research since everyone is saying they don't have metal gears inside. When I purchased my raider mega xl I did it only because it has metal gears inside as I had problems with the composite set inside my 1/10 size mega raider. When I brought it home and first turned it on I could tell right away that there are metal gears inside the transmission. The sound of metal on metal is very distinct and also owning a raider mega 1/10 I know what they sound like as composite gears. Also I have taken apart that gearbox and replaced the composite gears inside several times so I have a little more knowledge than just hearing the sounds.

Online it does say that it has a metal differential gear. I have pulled up a few sources, but on the Arrma site it says very little about gearing. These sites state it has a metal differential but nothing else. So I looked at my manual for the raider mega xl and put the part numbers for the differential and transmission in and they came up as composite. Now I am very confused because it does state that it has metal differential but the manual is saying it's composite.

View attachment 3118

View attachment 3119

I may contact Arrma or hobbico and ask why their manual says the parts are composite because now I'm just really confused about what's going on here.

I know that my red bodied 1/8 Arrma Raider XL Mega came stock with metal gears inside of the gearbox. Weird.

I'm interested in what you find inside the gearbox @Bladerunner please post pictures or updates on what's inside there when you have it apart. Thanks

SO I just got off the phone with a Great Hobbies, and they told me that when the Arrma raider mega xl was first released it had included the composite gearing inside of the gearbox. Arrma had then decided to install metal gears in the factory instead and never updated their manuals because it is too costly. So the current raider xl mega that you would purchase includes metal gearing but does not state unless you manage it get an older raider mega xl. When you go to replace your parts through warranty they will send metal gears.

View attachment 3118

View attachment 3119

okay I disassembled my raider xl, an the gears are all plastic except for inside the diff gear, its all metal.
So your both right, its metal an plastic.

When I took my 1/10 raider mega gearbox apart the gears inside the differential where metal but all others where plastic. So what I'm thinking is that you received an older version of the xl raider mega. If you contact hobbico they will send you new metal gears for your gearbox for free. They are replacing them with metal.

View attachment 3113

I am currently trying to source new aluminum racing shocks for my Raider Mega Brushed 1/10. The factory shocks are absolutely terrible and it is embarassing when i take it to the track to practice. I have upgraded it to brushless and that has given it the power that it needed but the suspension is what is letting it down. Can anyone recommend aftermarket brands that have aluminum shocks suitable for the Raider???
I am located in Sydney Australia and the hobby shop that i go to frequently for parts has been searching for 3 weeks for an aftermarket upgrade with no luck so i might have more chances of sourcing them myself with the help of this forum.
I have tried different viscocity oils in the factory shocks but now the shock tops just pop with a hard landing. And with the shocks measuring at 93mm rear and 76mm front I haven`t found anything to replace them with.

Hi

STRC makes aluminum upper & lower shock caps, and shock bodys to replace the stock plastic parts.

That is one option that i was considering but i was hoping to find full units ready to fit. My next step was to add more holes to the pistons to make the shocks travel alot easier and make them more responsive because when the car hits bumps the whole car moves instead of the shocks doing most of the work. The biggest problem is stability at the moment.

I too have gone brushless with my Raider Mega. I have upgraded the front steering knuckles and rear hub carriers with the STRC stuff, and it is good quality. The shocks are still on my wish list, but with the quality I see in the parts I've installed already, I don't think you'd be going wrong.

Although your modification on the pistons would be a much cheaper alternative if it works.

Let us know!!

Ok. So i have modified the pistons by adding an extra 2 holes of the same diameter and filled the shocks with a 35w oil and it has made a significant difference but i can`t test the car because the steering servo smoked itself yesterday. But i do have some info on some Traxxas suspension that is a direct fit to the Arrma Raider Mega. part numbers are #3760a Front, #3762a Rear suspension. I am doing some research now on those part numbers and i am liking what i see. plenty of aluminum racing options and various springs are also availible. Far greater quality and there is alot on the market.
Can anyone shed some light on how to set the Raider up for maximum top end speed? I have installed a 29T pinion and there is no way that a larger pinion can fit now.
Anyway my car is out of action for upto 2 weeks while i wait for the replacement steering servo to arrive.
Let me know what you think about those Traxxas part numbers as mentioned above because i don`t exactly want to rush into buying them without the thoughts and input from others. But i do like what i see so far. You can buy the plasitc ones as kits but there are full aluminum sets also.

View attachment 3113

Would the strc shocks work for the brushless xl blx? What are the lengths in mm of front/rear and are they Aluminum. If you have stock numbers too, that’d be great

Thanks cuzZy. Do they come fully assembled with aprings? What weight oil are tou uisng for each and sonthey come prefilled? Am looking to bash and do ahort reack type runs Also, any spacers or different screws needed! Thanks agajn. They look durable

They come complete with springs but I don't think they had oil in them....
I think i put 30wt in the fronts and 40wt in the back from memory.
It has been awhile since I did this upgrade but you may need some inserts for the shocks to mount and possibly longer screws for the top mounts but don't quote me on that... I am not at home at present so I cannot check for sure....It will be about 2 weeks before I can give you more detailed installation requirements... I will try to get some photos for you soon...cheers

Got the new trackstar shocks. Car is a gift from wife so wont have til xmas. Got a few other upgrades from st rc: front/rear hinge pin plates and rear and front hex nut adapters as well as rear proline badlands tires. Only have 2s batts /30c/5000 mh. Will look at 3s when more comfy with car

Got the new trackstar shocks. Car is a gift from wife so wont have til xmas. Got a few other upgrades from st rc: front/rear hinge pin plates and rear and front hex nut adapters as well as rear proline badlands tires. Only have 2s batts /30c/5000 mh. Will look at 3s when more comfy with car
What are the hex nut adapters? Do they allow you to put wheels with larger hexes on them? Are they from STRC also?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back