Infraction Speed run fun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flames77

Chasing down triple digits
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Talion
  7. Typhon 3s
So I did a little speed run this morning. What a rush. Still haven’t hit my goal of 100 yet but I’m getting there. Running a MMX8S with the Spektrum 2050kv motor (until my castle 1717) comes in. Gearing is 28t pinion with a 42t spool. Unlike the stock Esc cutting out, the mamba showed no signs of that. So I’m thinking I may need to try different batteries to improve on the current set up. This pas was done with a Spektrum 6s 30c pack. I just know she has to have a little more in her. My gearing estimate shows 118mph on these specs so I just know I can at least break a 100!! Happy Sunday fellas! Be safe!

466CB3D1-1C5B-4FAC-ADA4-57A7A054B191.jpeg

BF4B5F89-4191-456B-BAF0-F313FCDE97EB.jpeg

So I did a little speed run this morning. What a rush. Still haven’t hit my goal of 100 yet but I’m getting there. Running a MMX8S with the Spektrum 2050kv motor (until my castle 1717) comes in. Gearing is 28t pinion with a 42t spool. Unlike the stock Esc cutting out, the mamba showed no signs of that. So I’m thinking I may need to try different batteries to improve on the current set up. This pas was done with a Spektrum 6s 30c pack. I just know she has to have a little more in her. My gearing estimate shows 118mph on these specs so I just know I can at least break a 100!! Happy Sunday fellas! Be safe!

View attachment 102971

View attachment 102972
When using that calculator, you need to drop the cells to 5 to account for voltage sag. I’ve found this to be much more realistic and is usually spot on with my passes.

5E79933D-BA28-47D4-BECF-E262E6C6345E.png

When using that calculator, you need to drop the cells to 5 to account for voltage sag. I’ve found this to be much more realistic and is usually spot on with my passes.

View attachment 102990
Hmmmm good to know!! Thanks for yet another helpful tip man!
I do wish that Skyrc GPS was a lil more accurate. Because I know for a fact it’s about 3 mph slow. So actually I hit 95mph. Which isn’t too shabby.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that you are using 30C cells and that they hold up. Nice run with signs of promise. Better batteries will already help imho.
I just charged up my 2 3s SMC 100c packs. Gonna put them in it and take it back out and see.

Last edited:
Bring a fire extinguisher ? ?✌?
Let me guess. Two 100c packs is too much?? ? Well I made one pass with it and it only hit 70. So I’m scratching my head now. Put my 6s 30c battery back in and it hit 96. After getting back hone I noticed the blue (a side) motor wire wasn’t soldered to the female connector anymore? Temps were checked and the motor never even reached 100*F

You must have had a bad solder joint or something odd is happening. High current and some resistance will melt the solder in a couple seconds.

Maybe it came loose on the high power packs and re-soldered itself, seen stranger things happening. At any rate, if that came loose and you had a good connection you will blow something up in the near future, most likely the motor.

Let me guess. Two 100c packs is too much?? ? Well I made one pass with it and it only hit 70. So I’m scratching my head now. Put my 6s 30c battery back in and it hit 96. After getting back hone I noticed the blue (a side) motor wire wasn’t soldered to the female connector anymore? Temps were checked and the motor never even reached 100*F
Nah the SMC packs have been catching fire lately. They are supposedly the fastest out there today, but I’ve had bad luck with them.

Nah the SMC packs have been catching fire lately. They are supposedly the fastest out there today, but I’ve had bad luck with them.
Ah hell! Don’t need that! I guess mine is garbage bc it literally on hit 70 with them in it.

View attachment 102971

View attachment 102972
I’m in the same boat, I was running a hobbywing max6, batteries- 2x 4s 5500mah 35c and while feeding throttle slowly was able to hit 105mph before esc cut out, gearing is 31t pinion snd standard 46t centre diff. Bought a mmx8s and running the same set up but only hitting 92-96mph. I css as not hear if it’s cutting out.
I know the batteries will be an issue due to only being 35c, but I’d have thought it would have at least matched the max6 top speed.
I have also used b-link to set up esc as only have aMac book air, so castle link won’t work. I have attached screenshots of my settings, I have also calibrated the controller for throttle brake snd neutral

070EE064-49D9-469A-BBAC-ADED6D950E71.jpeg

5C4D2078-609A-42BF-967D-3D01E6BA30BB.jpeg

I’m in the same boat, I was running a hobbywing max6, batteries- 2x 4s 5500mah 35c and while feeding throttle slowly was able to hit 105mph before esc cut out, gearing is 31t pinion snd standard 46t centre diff. Bought a mmx8s and running the same set up but only hitting 92-96mph. I css as not hear if it’s cutting out.
I know the batteries will be an issue due to only being 35c, but I’d have thought it would have at least matched the max6 top speed.
I have also used b-link to set up esc as only have aMac book air, so castle link won’t work. I have attached screenshots of my settings, I have also calibrated the controller for throttle brake snd neutral

View attachment 105144

View attachment 105145
Turn punch control to 0% as it’s backwards on a Castle ESC. You are set to minimum punch.

Turn punch control to 0% as it’s backwards on a Castle ESC. You are set to minimum punch.
I assumed punch setting was only for the first part of acceleration?? and didn’t / doesn’t effect top speed. I’m currently only doing speed runs, and have read that everyone sets punch to its minimum.
If I’m wrong I’ll certainly give it ago

thanks jondilly

Hmmmm good to know!! Thanks for yet another helpful tip man!
I do wish that Skyrc GPS was a lil more accurate. Because I know for a fact it’s about 3 mph slow. So actually I hit 95mph. Which isn’t too shabby.

Download the computer app and set your sky RC GPS to update at 10Hz (10 times per second) as the default is only 1Hz (1 time per second)

I assumed punch setting was only for the first part of acceleration?? and didn’t / doesn’t effect top speed. I’m currently only doing speed runs, and have read that everyone sets punch to its minimum.
If I’m wrong I’ll certainly give it ago

thanks jondilly
I want all the power when I use it. I don’t want any throttle lag.

Don't play the 'jump to conclusion' game. This is a process.
My guess, your SMC are providing an abundance of current and it melted your motor wire i.e. your system is not able to handle what you are doing.
Your SkyRC is accurate but needs to be at top speed for 2-3s for it to display correctly. It will show the right speed on the download PS software, just no instant gratification. In return, it also shows that people barely manage to stay at the top for under 2s.

Without logging, you don't really know what you are doing to your setup. My guess is that you 'yank the throttle' or have some other issue that results in access current. You are limiting that effect with your low rated Lipo's.
For the motor wire to de-solder you have some serious issues. That is what you have to fix first i.e. understand why you have this type of current.

I want all the power when I use it. I don’t want any throttle lag.
Keep in mind that 'instant' success results in lower speed. High change results in high current which lowers the Lipo voltage and lowers the rpm. The motors are rated at kV and not at current. Maybe counter intuitive but reality. You truly want to maximize the voltage while applying enough current to make it go top speed.

What you mean by 0%? Please explain more
The setting on a Castle ESC is how much you want to limit the punch. So 0% restriction is max power. On other brands of ESCs the value represents how much power to allow, which is the opposite of the Castle.
Keep in mind that 'instant' success results in lower speed. High change results in high current which lowers the Lipo voltage and lowers the rpm. The motors are rated at kV and not at current. Maybe counter intuitive but reality. You truly want to maximize the voltage while applying enough current to make it go top speed.
That’s where throttle control comes in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back