Typhon Speed run setup advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_nom_noms_

Steering is for noobs
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
Took my speed run project out for a shakedown tonight and she's trying to step/ swap ends under full power.

Diffs are all shimmed up and she's running a locker in the middle.

Im running around 60 weight front and 40 weight rear.

Tires are s3 grp which I think are a bit soft but I have harder.

Interested to hear your diff setups for speed runs, I'm considering adding heavier to the rear.

Geo is fairly neutral in terms of toe, camber, and ride height with a slight rake front to rear and my front wing is doing its job because when it fell off a wrecked in heroic fashion 🤯

Any advice on the diffs to fix that issue?

I JUST WANNA GO STRAIGHT 😩

Last edited:
1. Front should be lower than the front because when you lay the power down the car needs to squat!
2. There is a little need for camber because if you turn a little bit without any camber you would be riding on the outside of the tire especially at high speeds.
3. Are your tires balanced? if not Raz Shiffrin has a video on it!
4. Toe is needed to have the car drive straight at high speeds. Toe out in the front and in on the rear!

I worded it badly, the front is lower, tires are not balanced but I watched a video on it last night so yeah worth a try.

It just seems to be shredding the rears even the wear is 2 x the front.

To calm this and give even slip and stability do you think adding heavier fluid to the rear diff would be a start?

I worded it badly, the front is lower, tires are not balanced but I watched a video on it last night so yeah worth a try.

It just seems to be shredding the rears even the wear is 2 x the front.

To calm this and give even slip and stability do you think adding heavier fluid to the rear diff would be a start?
I use the ear plugs in my diff to loch them but still have a little give. I have seen people use 500k to ALMOST lock them.

Definitely go heavier front and rear for sure. Most people run anywhere from 200K to 1M weight fluid. You want the diffs essentially locked; this prevents one wheel getting all the power if one corner lifts up due to a bump.

I may go 100 front and rear and see where the cards fall. I tried 200k and it was mega thick. Do you recon 200k front and rear with the middle locker would not hinder speed?

Definitely go heavier front and rear for sure. Most people run anywhere from 200K to 1M weight fluid. You want the diffs essentially locked; this prevents one wheel getting all the power if one corner lifts up due to a bump.
Just adding to your comment. If 1 wheel gets all the power it's going to blow.

I run 20 mill in al 3 .just ran back to back 129mph. HOOKS AN GOS STRAIGHT

Screenshot_20210409-205341_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Mother of God that is fast. 200k will be in tonight till I can get thicker
So far as I lay down the power it hasn't lost traction an normally goes perfectly strait. Some passes almost no steering input.once it gets about 80ish its on rails the rest of the way.i guess all 4 pulling HARD with 20 mill.

I may go 100 front and rear and see where the cards fall. I tried 200k and it was mega thick. Do you recon 200k front and rear with the middle locker would not hinder speed?
I run lockers in all 3 diffs. Go as heavy as you can. Silicone plugs or 20M is fine

Sorry to hear about your troubles, we've been there :) thats what make this RC game fun and different. It looks easy but its super hard to go fast specially if you track it using a GPS.

To answer your question, differential oil my brother will depends on:
1. the type/kind of road u run on -> if traction of the road u run on is high i would suggest to go light diff oil but not too light that will make ur tire spin like and skid. If your road has less traction go with thick heavy oil

2. the weight of your build(including batteries etc) -> if your car is heavy go with a lighter oil, if your car is light go with heavier oil. Why? if car is heavy, gravitational pull helps in putting your car on the ground which gives more traction so if you put heavy oil on a heavy car you will stress your motor and esc too much because it will have hard time in turning the car.

3. the tyre you choose to run with. -> Too much power but no control means low speed and means high tendency of crashing and spending money :). Choose a tyre that compliments from 1. (road type) and 2. (car weights). For example using foam is good on a heavy car and on a good traction road. Using rubber on a heavy car will surely wear off that rubber fast and high tendency of exploading it. On the other hand, using foam on a light car means like running on a snow :)... you get the idea

Anyway these tips bro are just in general, it will still end up on the driver (how to drive and what works with u) constant practice... trial and error... some crashes is normal. Keep pushing and goodluck

Sorry to hear about your troubles, we've been there :) thats what make this RC game fun and different. It looks easy but its super hard to go fast specially if you track it using a GPS.

1. the type/kind of road u run on -> if traction of the road u run on is high i would suggest to go light diff oil but not too light that will make ur tire spin like and skid. If your road has less traction go with thick heavy oil

2. the weight of your build(including batteries etc) -> if your car is heavy go with a lighter oil, if your car is light go with heavier oil. Why? if car is heavy, gravitational pull helps in putting your car on the ground which gives more traction so if you put heavy oil on a heavy car you will stress your motor and esc too much because it will have hard time in turning the car.

3. the tyre you choose to run with. -> Too much power but no control means low speed and means high tendency of crashing and spending money :). Choose a tyre that compliments from 1. (road type) and 2. (car weights). For example using foam is good on a heavy car and on a good traction road. Using rubber on a heavy car will surely wear off that rubber fast and high tendency of exploading it. On the other hand, using foam on a light car means like running on a snow :)... you get the idea

Anyway these tips bro are just in general, it will still end up on the driver (how to drive and what works with u) constant practice... trial and error... some crashes is normal. Keep pushing and goodluck
NICE TO SEE YOU ON THE FORUM...I wat h your videos,check out speed demons on this forum.theres a personal list pb list on there...us speedrunners on this forum have been pushing each other for higher pbz...im currently tied at 9th place...after it gets updated

Awesome info brother! Thanks 😊 🙏

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back