Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMballistic

ROSSA ~ Officially fast.
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Decided to start this thread as I thought that it might be of some interest and maybe even some help to anyone else trying to use the Typhon 6S for speed runs.

Now I'm new to "speed runs" with R/c vehicles so am learning as I go but definitely not new to R/c's having had a whole load of Tamiya buggies, monster trucks as well as Thunder Tiger and other R/c vehicles along the way like quadcopters.

I should also mention that this is my first 1/8th scale vehicle, my first brushless motor powered wheeled vehicle, my first lipo powered wheeled vehicle and also my very first Arrma vehicle. Lot of firsts for me at almost 40 years old.

So this all starts with a 2018 Typhon 6S...

After playing around with the shocks a little I took the ride height down,

...but this was never going to do for speed runs so more research was needed. ;)

In doing my research using this forum, internet searches and watching as many YouTube speed run videos as I could I slowly started to build up some knowledge. Helped greatly along the way with info from some of the Youtubers like Brandon (Innovation RC), Philip Jolley, and Wiggan RC to name a few.

I also started talking with some great members on here especially @Dutch213 who like me is heading down the speed runs route with his Typhon 6S.
His thread here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-typhon-journey-to-speed-build-thread.9903/

I quickly learnt that GRP tyres are the way to go for speed runs so I ordered a set of those as soon as I spotted some for sale on eBay UK. Oh and that's another thing as I'm based in Great Britain AKA the United Kingdom (UK) some parts are an absolute ball ache to find or have to be ordered from the USA.
Seems, as usual, all the best stuff is in the United States. :cautious: :LOL:

Even the GRP tyres I wanted weren't available in my first choice colour so I settled for some, ...errh, ...shall we say, more "vivid" colour rims. ("S3" compound FYI)

The only downside as you can tell from the picture above is that straight away from swapping to the GRP's rims I have lost some rolling radius, ...so acceleration is up but top end is down.

Still looks pretty good though I think.

More to come and thanks for reading. (y)

Decided to start this thread as I thought that it might be of some interest and maybe even some help to anyone else trying to use the Typhon 6S for speed runs.

Now I'm new to "speed runs" with R/c vehicles so am learning as I go but definitely not new to R/c's having had a whole load of Tamiya buggies, monster trucks as well as Thunder Tiger and other R/c vehicles along the way like quadcopters.

I should also mention that this is my first 1/8th scale vehicle, my first brushless motor powered wheeled vehicle, my first lipo powered wheeled vehicle and also my very first Arrma vehicle. Lot of firsts for me at almost 40 years old.

So this all starts with a 2018 Typhon 6S...
View attachment 31172

After playing around with the shocks a little I took the ride height down,
View attachment 31173

...but this was never going to do for speed runs so more research was needed. ;)

In doing my research using this forum, internet searches and watching as many YouTube speed run videos as I could I slowly started to build up some knowledge. Helped greatly along the way with info from some of the Youtubers like Brandon (Innovation RC), Philip Jolley, and Wiggan RC to name a few.

I also started talking with some great members on here especially @Dutch213 who like me is heading down the speed runs route with his Typhon 6S.
His thread here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-typhon-journey-to-speed-build-thread.9903/

I quickly learnt that GRP tyres are the way to go for speed runs so I ordered a set of those as soon as I spotted some for sale on eBay UK. Oh and that's another thing as I'm based in Great Britain AKA the United Kingdom (UK) some parts are an absolute ball ache to find or have to be ordered from the USA.
Seems, as usual, all the best stuff is in the United States. :cautious::LOL:

Even the GRP tyres I wanted weren't available in my first choice colour so I settled for some, ...errh, ...shall we say, more "vivid" colour rims. ("S3" compound FYI)View attachment 31177

The only downside as you can tell from the picture above is that straight away from swapping to the GRP's rims I have lost some rolling radius, ...so acceleration is up but top end is down.

Still looks pretty good though I think.
View attachment 31178

More to come and thanks for reading. (y)

Great pics bro! The typhon looks good!!

do those grps spin or grip good?
Uhhhmm both?! :LOL:
I'm still learning how best to run my car and finding spots to run it. I started off in a large carpark and when trying to get it up to speed if I was too sharp on the throttle I could spin all four wheels whilst moving, ...this things definitely got some grunt even with the standard motor.

Uhhhmm both?! :LOL:
I'm still learning how best to run my car and finding spots to run it. I started off in a large carpark and when trying to get it up to speed if I was too sharp on the throttle I could spin all four wheels whilst moving, ...this things definitely got some grunt even with the standard motor.

you got the s4's right?

After getting the GRP's fitted I couldn't wait to run the car even on the standard high speed gearing of 16T pinion and 50T spur included with the car but with all the talk of diffs being dry from new I knew I should tackle that first just in case.

Plus I didn't even have my Lipo battery or charger sorted at that point so it was a moot point.

This car is fantastic to work on.

...And inside the front diff there was oil so good news there.

Rear diff.

I used "Core RC 100K pure silicone oil" for my front and rear diffs.

Whilst I was having fun I also had a play around with my suspension set up in order to get the ride height a little lower and general suspension a bit firmer. Pretty happy with how it sits.

yeah i don't think i am even going to be able to use my s7's.. they are like molded plastic almost... you need like 100 degree + roads for those prob...
Is it worth seeing if you can return them as they're still unused? Or sell them on so that you can buy maybe some S4 or S5's?

After running mine with the S3's I'm pretty happy with them. They go very tacky with just a little heat in them and you can see loose stones sticking to them at times after a run.

Is it worth seeing if you can return them as they're still unused? Or sell them on so that you can buy maybe some S4 or S5's?

After running mine with the S3's I'm pretty happy with them. They go very tacky with just a little heat in them and you can see loose stones sticking to them at times after a run.

ill keep them for when its real hot here in summer... ill just get s3 or s4 for spring and fall..

Good thinking. ;)

Any news on your missing motor?
Your thread has been a bit quiet since that happened.

im still waiting... They wont refund me or send me a new one til march 1... so a few more days... I didnt want to post anything on the thread until it was productive... once i gt the motor its off to the races...lol

@Dutch213 That does suck but I guess they want to give it time to show up and understandable about your thread. I just enjoy reading it especially as we're doing similar things but in completely different ways as you've changed your chassis, motor, ESC etc.

I think your Typhon is going to be a proper speed demon.

@Dutch213 That does suck but I guess they want to give it time to show up and understandable about your thread. I just enjoy reading it especially as we're doing similar things but in completely different ways as you've changed your chassis, motor, ESC etc.

I think your Typhon is going to be a proper speed demon.

lol. i hope so... ive been focusing on getting my notorious super bash ready till i get that damn motor... mo cars, mo problems!

lol. i hope so... ive been focusing on getting my notorious super bash ready till i get that damn motor... mo cars, mo problems!
Cool.
At the moment the only other proper R/c car I've got is this...

...a 1/10th scale Tamiya Hornet.
Added ball raced bearings, Absima ESC and a 15Turn Arrma brushed motor.

It's basically undriveable. :ROFLMAO:
The suspension on the Hornet is terrible and on tarmac it hops around like a rabbit with a rocket up it's backside. It's better on grass but for the most part I only wanted it as I'd always wanted one as a kid and it was fun to build at Christmas.

Cool.
At the moment the only other proper R/c car I've got is this...
View attachment 31260

...a 1/10th scale Tamiya Hornet.
Added ball raced bearings, Absima ESC and a 15Turn Arrma brushed motor.

It's basically undriveable. :ROFLMAO:
The suspension on the Hornet is terrible and on tarmac it hops around like a rabbit with a rocket up it's backside. It's better on grass but for the most part I only wanted it as I'd always wanted one as a kid and it was fun to build at Christmas.

thats a classic! i want to get a falcon... that was my first rc car...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back