Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do these events happen. Is it just a single person organizing and funding this or do local RC businesses help?
I cant believe that in the U.S. we don't have any of these events anymore. (there were some years ago)
The UK ROSSA events are organised by the ROSSA Chairman (Stuart Mutch) with the help of a few others. It is very expensive to hire out the airfield so the entrants, myself included all pay towards the hiring fee.

Luckily the last event was partly funded by one of the entrants/organisers who also runs his own LHS as well as does speed running meaning that the cost for entrants for the two day event was £60 each ($72 dollars odd).

We're trying to get sponsors involved as well as encourage more people to enter/try speed running but it's definitely a niche activity. I spent a lot of time at the event using my Go-Pro to film runs in order to help get more exposure. All the videos/pictures taken by people from the event are hopefully going to be compiled into a decent video eventually for a bit of promo work. (y)

Maybe if you join the official FB page Liberty you could ask the question if anyone knows of anyone doing it in the US.
I know a US guy called Frank Escalle posted on the ROSSA Facebook page just the other day that he had bought official "Trackmate" timing/speed metering equipment so sounds like he may be starting to do official runs in the US somewhere. As long as it is done with correct equipment and follows all the ROSSA rules/regulations then it will be official.

ROSSA official website here: http://www.rossa.org.uk/events.html
ROSSA official Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641915416068313/

@GMballistic ... That table...???? you were lucky though not to have had more damage to yourself or your car..!!

Great that you beat your PB..??????
Without a doubt and lucky my reactions are still sharp enough to react quickly enough.

Yep I am pleased that I beat my PB but was a little disheartened because I know there is a lot more in it but just couldn't get it out of it that weekend. Still next time though. :)

The UK ROSSA events are organised by the ROSSA Chairman (Stuart Mutch) with the help of a few others. It is very expensive to hire out the airfield so the entrants, myself included all pay towards the hiring fee.

Luckily the last event was partly funded by one of the entrants/organisers who also runs his own LHS as well as does speed running meaning that the cost for entrants for the two day event was £60 each ($72 dollars odd).

We're trying to get sponsors involved as well as encourage more people to enter/try speed running but it's definitely a niche activity. I spent a lot of time at the event using my Go-Pro to film runs in order to help get more exposure. All the videos/pictures taken by people from the event are hopefully going to be compiled into a decent video eventually for a bit of promo work. (y)

Maybe if you join the official FB page Liberty you could ask the question if anyone knows of anyone doing it in the US.
I know a US guy called Frank Escalle posted on the ROSSA Facebook page just the other day that he had bought official "Trackmate" timing/speed metering equipment so sounds like he may be starting to do official runs in the US somewhere. As long as it is done with correct equipment and follows all the ROSSA rules/regulations then it will be official.

ROSSA official website here: http://www.rossa.org.uk/events.html
ROSSA official Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641915416068313/

Without a doubt and lucky my reactions are still sharp enough to react quickly enough.

Yep I am pleased that I beat my PB but was a little disheartened because I know there is a lot more in it but just couldn't get it out of it that weekend. Still next time though. :)

Thanks for the info.

I don't do Facebook, but I may have to just for the ROSSA stuff.
I think the TrackMate speed traps is a scam almost. It is $650 USD and from how the rules read, ROSSA wants you to have 2 of them for verification.
So $1300.00 USD to prove how fast you went. That is a tuff pill to swallow. It would be cheaper to travel if an event exists in the USA.

On a side note I think I can smear the 2 wheel motor cycle speed record of 96mph. That may be my next project.

-Liberty

I don't do Facebook, but I may have to just for the ROSSA stuff.
I think the TrackMate speed traps is a scam almost. It is $650 USD and from how the rules read, ROSSA wants you to have 2 of them for verification.

On a side note I think I can smear the 2 wheel motor cycle speed record of 96mph. That may be my next project.
I didn't do Facebook either and never wanted to but all the ROSSA stuff is on there mainly so I had to join just for that reason. They did have an official forum bypassing FB but it has been down due to technical issue for a long time now so unsure if it will ever be fixed.
Also being on FB allows for the instant messaging service which is mainly how I communicate with the other UK ROSSA guys.

The Trackmate is expensive yes and you're correct you'll need two of them.

Oh and regarding the bike speed record. Another speed runner friend of mine called Martin is also trying to break that record. ;)
01.JPG

If it wasn't so windy he'd have done it last meet I'm positive.

I didn't do Facebook either and never wanted to but all the ROSSA stuff is on there mainly so I had to join just for that reason. They did have an official forum bypassing FB but it has been down due to technical issue for a long time now so unsure if it will ever be fixed.
Also being on FB allows for the instant messaging service which is mainly how I communicate with the other UK ROSSA guys.

The Trackmate is expensive yes and you're correct you'll need two of them.

Oh and regarding the bike speed record. Another speed runner friend of mine called Martin is also trying to break that record. ;)
View attachment 46228

If it wasn't so windy he'd have done it last meet I'm positive.

Martin is the man!
Cant wait to see his results. The current record isn't that impressive at 97.89 mph, but with bikes everything is different...

Last edited:
Martin is the man!
Cant wait to see his results. The current record isn't that impressive at 96mph, but with bikes everything is different...
It's not Martin Peace, ...it's a different Martin, Dolman. Still a good speed runner with every chance of breaking that record though. ;)

Does that bike require a tiny rider...!! I think I might know a guy..???
:LOL:
It actually does have a little rider yes. Last time he lost his head but he was all better for his recent outing. (y)

For those interested I can now confirm the World Record broken was in the Electric Large Scale category.

Craig Mays driving his 1/5th scale FG Sportsline 2008 model broke the World Record numerous times with his eventual World Record speed for a 1/5th scale RC being a whopping 135.42mph. :cool:

69344617_10157653841507074_7106030538057580544_n.jpg

Wow that is impressive! It takes TONS of power to push those large scale lumps through the air at those speeds.
FG's are cool in general. One day I'd like to get one when I calm down with my competitiveness for speed.

-Liberty

Wow that is impressive! It takes TONS of power to push those large scale lumps through the air at those speeds.
FG's are cool in general. One day I'd like to get one when I calm down with my competitiveness for speed.
It was really cool to see.
It was the first ever time he'd run the car after building it up for the event so was completely untested. Sensibly he started on smaller pinion/spur gears with a low battery cell count. Over the course of the weekend he built them up (batteries & gearing) till he beaten the World record, ....he then beat it again, and again, and again, and a.....You get the idea. ;):D

For those interested I can now confirm the World Record broken was in the Electric Large Scale category.

Craig Mays driving his 1/5th scale FG Sportsline 2008 model broke the World Record numerous times with his eventual World Record speed for a 1/5th scale RC being a whopping 135.42mph. :cool:

View attachment 46335
Even his car is happy AF

For those interested I've just made a short video of ROSSA UK Round 2 which was held back in August.

I used my GoPro Hero 3 and a small tripod set up right next to the speed traps to try to get some fast footage. Didn't come out too bad I think and hope you enjoy watching. (y)

Cool.
At the moment the only other proper R/c car I've got is this...
View attachment 31260

...a 1/10th scale Tamiya Hornet.
Added ball raced bearings, Absima ESC and a 15Turn Arrma brushed motor.

It's basically undriveable. :ROFLMAO:
The suspension on the Hornet is terrible and on tarmac it hops around like a rabbit with a rocket up it's backside. It's better on grass but for the most part I only wanted it as I'd always wanted one as a kid and it was fun to build at Christmas.
sweet rig!!

Nice thread man. Thanks for pointing me towards it. I'm thinking about starting my son thread, especially considering I started mine as a spare parts build lol. So far have gotten it up to 99.3mph. Made some aerodynamic changes, learned a little about how I need to get on the throttle differently, and with the next nice day, I'll see if I can squeeze out another mph to clear that 100 mark!

Attachments

• 20200329_205429.jpg
    20200329_205429.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 51
And after you hit 100 mph, there's 110, then 120, then ..... on and on. It is VERY addictive. I've been letting my stuff gather dust lately, but fixin to get back at it, with my stretched out Typhon with TP power. Going to switch to a "Just Bash It" chassis, mainly for the weight. Also need to design a small front flap of sorts. A front end lift at 120 mph, is breath taking, and expensive too. :)

And after you hit 100 mph, there's 110, then 120, then ..... on and on. It is VERY addictive. I've been letting my stuff gather dust lately, but fixin to get back at it, with my stretched out Typhon with TP power. Going to switch to a "Just Bash It" chassis, mainly for the weight. Also need to design a small front flap of sorts. A front end lift at 120 mph, is breath taking, and expensive too. :)
I could completely see that! This is my 1st on road build of any kind. Always been an off road basher. I figured I'd build something for the pavement, but didn't know if I'd like it, so I kept the cost down. She's pretty quick! I'll keep the current specs until I max it out, then I'll add the cap pack and much larger OSE 8mm connectors and see where I can take this SSS/Max 6 power train.

Attachments

• 20200328_104013.jpg
    20200328_104013.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 71
I could completely see that! This is my 1st on road build of any kind. Always been an off road basher. I figured I'd build something for the pavement, but didn't know if I'd like it, so I kept the cost down. She's pretty quick! I'll keep the current specs until I max it out, then I'll add the cap pack and much larger OSE 8mm connectors and see where I can take this SSS/Max 6 power train.
Lose the front bumper ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back