Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the last set of passes, I did. The above pic is more recent. I removed the front bumper and cut the rear section out of the wing to prevent any air damning.
You’re on the right track. Consider Limitless shocks and tower for the front to reduce your profile. ??

Nice thread man. Thanks for pointing me towards it. I'm thinking about starting my son thread, especially considering I started mine as a spare parts build lol. So far have gotten it up to 99.3mph. Made some aerodynamic changes, learned a little about how I need to get on the throttle differently, and with the next nice day, I'll see if I can squeeze out another mph to clear that 100 mark!
Thank you and you're welcome. (y)
Yep that's what it's all about just gearing up a tooth at a time if need be, little aero tweaks, more practice etc whatever you can do to gain a mph or two.

Clearing the 100mph mark when you get there is a fantastic achievement but as @cootertwo says it never ends there. :p

I've been letting my stuff gather dust lately, but fixin to get back at it, with my stretched out Typhon with TP power. Going to switch to a "Just Bash It" chassis, mainly for the weight. Also need to design a small front flap of sorts. A front end lift at 120 mph, is breath taking, and expensive too. :)
Good to see you back around and hope to see some more of your vids again real soon. :)

You’re on the right track. Consider Limitless shocks and tower for the front to reduce your profile. ??
Great minds must think alike, because they are already on order haha. Every step of the build I've ran it for at least 1 set of passes. Because I've never messed in this segment of the hobby, I want to experience the difference that each change(s) makes. I've been taking advice from MANY people whom have far more experience than I do, but I then experiment with those suggestions to see what happens.

You might also find when you get over 100 mph, too much rear wing will lift the front. I had to cut mine way down. Been working on mine, as we type. Almost got everything swapped over to a JBI chassis. Just got some more head scratching on mounting the Mamba XL. Got to make some spacers, etc. etc. but close to running. Brand new GRP slicks on solid wheels.
speed1.jpg

You might also find when you get over 100 mph, too much rear wing will lift the front. I had to cut mine way down. Been working on mine, as we type. Almost got everything swapped over to a JBI chassis. Just got some more head scratching on mounting the Mamba XL. Got to make some spacers, etc. etc. but close to running. Brand new GRP slicks on solid wheels.View attachment 72512
If you look closely in the 1st pic I posted (more recent) compared to the 2nd, I cut out the entire rear section, to start with. I could order more parts, like a carbon fiber flat wing, but I want to see what I can do with a little creativity 1st. As parts begin to hit their limit, ESC in particular, I'll upgrade them.

Not sure how far I'm going to take this build. I've got the idea I'm my mind that I'll keep going until the motor becomes the limiting factor, but from what I've seen, I've got a while for that:
SSS 4092 2140kv...a <$90 motor that's hard to beat within any price segment near it

Looking very clean and tidy there @cootertwo . :cool: Nice job. (y)
If you look closely in the 1st pic I posted (more recent) compared to the 2nd, I cut out the entire rear section, to start with. I could order more parts, like a carbon fiber flat wing, but I want to see what I can do with a little creativity 1st. As parts begin to hit their limit, ESC in particular, I'll upgrade them.
Regarding the wing it's also to do with the flexibility of the material, ...cutting your original rear wing is fine for lower speeds but once you're up into higher speeds it'll easily start bending. At high speeds you're going to want something more rigid.

That's why I changed from my modified Traxxas wing to a carbon fibre wing that I made myself.

You've definitely got the right idea ~ it's best to try not too change too much at once, build your speeds up slowly and get used to how to drive it at higher speeds. (y)

Last edited:
WoW....whatta thread!

I feel like I was there watching you.

Scouted out a couple of locations today, but with the stay home stuff in effect I could almost drive the Limitless on a couple of the main streets here!

Time to head down to the workshop and start tinkering!
Cheers @drjim .
I tried to make it an interesting read with as much info in it and pictures as I could for others. Hopefully to help others with their own speed runners.

It is tempting with so many roads being quite but it's for the greater good.
I'm sure in the big scheme of things it won't be too long before we'll be able to get outside properly again. Perfect time at the moment though for tinkering with your models. (y)

@GMballistic ... Where did you get your MM2 from..?? I've looked everywhere for one ?

I bought it on eBay back about the middle of January. I don't know the backstory. The seller had it listed as "New, only opened box to show condition", and I paid $125USD for it, about 110 Euros.

How's things with BREXIT? Moving slowly?

@GMballistic ... Where did you get your MM2 from..?? I've looked everywhere for one ?
They're not easy to find at all I'm afraid.
I got lucky with mine and got a brand new one from old stock here in the UK. Literally the last one.

Found you a used one here from Oz on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castle-C...551675?hash=item1f0cd944bb:g:4JYAAOSweLZeaukY

You can find new ones still in the USA but obviously both that and the above option will incur import fees. :(
How's things with BREXIT? Moving slowly?
That's been brushed under the carpet for now, ....what with Corona Virus going mental worldwide. That's the new news story of the day.

With my Typhon build being basically done I tend to spend most of my wrenching hours on my Limitless or other projects however today I did fit a new part to my Typhon.

When I bought my Limitless I'd made loads of plans about how it was going to be set up but as time goes by plans change, ...one of these plans was to use a GPM aluminium servo mount to relocate the Limitless servo mounting position.
As I am not doing that anymore I thought rather than let the mount go to waste or sell it on for a loss I thought I'd just stick it in the Typhon.

154.jpg

I'm not really about "bling" when I do my builds and have always focused more on performance mods but you can't argue it doesn't look better than the standard black plastic one. :cool::)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back