Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to quit "re-designing", and go run this thing! Now, I'm moving the center spur/bearing assembly over to center, instead of being off center as is stock. Less drag/friction. That also takes up the unnecessary slop in the front and rear drive shafts too. They are about to open the road that I've been testing on, but have other spots in mind too. I'm just a lazy old fart, that needs to get off his arse! ;)

I got to quit "re-designing", and go run this thing! Now, I'm moving the center spur/bearing assembly over to center, instead of being off center as is stock. Less drag/friction. That also takes up the unnecessary slop in the front and rear drive shafts too. They are about to open the road that I've been testing on, but have other spots in mind too. I'm just a lazy old fart, that needs to get off his arse! ;)
Completely understand, ...I had/have so many plans for my Limitless it's unreal. I've had it for 7 months odd now and it's never even left my house let alone seen tarmac. :oops::ROFLMAO:

I'm in lockdown here in the UK apart from going out for work or shopping so I haven't done any runs in ages. Can't wait to get out there again and blow the cobwebs off my Typhon & other runners. ;)

With my girlfriend being home all the time I don’t get much time to wrench. Was nice when she was gone 50 hours a week ?

I haven't been out in awhile either. Here's my kitchen floor. Yes, I'm single. ;)

kitchenfloor.jpg

I really need one of those. Just too busy trying to finish my typhon. Had to pull the brand new max6 and order a xlx for it. Where did you get your dynamite speedometer? I can't really find deals on them anywhere.

Was there issues with the Max 6??

Went to probably the only ROSSA UK event that we'll be able to do this year but unfortunately not the best event for me.

We had glorious weather for the first day where I concentrated on running my Serpent 1/12th scale S120 LTX and the Typhon 6S, ....both of which hadn't be ran all year due to Covid restrictions and available places locally to run.
The following two days though was torrential rain more or less constantly so it was a bit of a wash out. Some ran later in the day on Sunday when it dried out a little but I had called it a day by then.

First PB for the Serpent 1/12th though which was good at 87mph odd and the Typhon was consistently in the hundreds gaining a new PB of 114mph odd.
Typhon 6S new PB.jpg

The Typhon could have done so much better though I know but I made a mistake with my gearing whereby I thought I was running a taller pinion than I actually was and by the time I realised my mistake it was too late on the first day. With the rain the second day I didn't get a chance to run it again nor my Limitless or Serpent.

Still a good fun event and nice catching up with all the ROSSA UK guys. ;)

Went to probably the only ROSSA UK event that we'll be able to do this year but unfortunately not the best event for me.

We had glorious weather for the first day where I concentrated on running my Serpent 1/12th scale S120 LTX and the Typhon 6S, ....both of which hadn't be ran all year due to Covid restrictions and available places locally to run.
The following two days though was torrential rain more or less constantly so it was a bit of a wash out. Some ran later in the day on Sunday when it dried out a little but I had called it a day by then.

First PB for the Serpent 1/12th though which was good at 87mph odd and the Typhon was consistently in the hundreds gaining a new PB of 114mph odd.
View attachment 95099

The Typhon could have done so much better though I know but I made a mistake with my gearing whereby I thought I was running a taller pinion than I actually was and by the time I realised my mistake it was too late on the first day. With the rain the second day I didn't get a chance to run it again nor my Limitless or Serpent.

Nice to see you at least got your chance to get out. 114 mph in a 12th scale must be one hell of a sight to see.

I am very envious of the events that y'all have. Ready for the COVID thing to pass so you can get out and run more.

How come only one event this year..?? I know covid, but I thought there would be more..??
Congrats on the Typhon PB ???
Did the Serpent do well..? I'm surprised you can even see such a small car at speed ?

Nice to see you at least got your chance to get out. 114 mph in a 12th scale must be one hell of a sight to see.
I know we were lucky really and I can't wait to run them more.
The 1/12th scale got a PB of 87mph but still FAF for such a small RC and it was the Typhon that got 114mph ~ results below.

Screenshot_20200818-231320_Facebook.jpg

I am very envious of the events that y'all have. Ready for the COVID thing to pass so you can get out and run more.
Cheers Liberty. ;)
The events are great fun ~ I think everyone worldwide is sick of this Covid BS.

How come only one event this year..?? I know covid, but I thought there would be more..??
Congrats on the Typhon PB ???
Did the Serpent do well..? I'm surprised you can even see such a small car at speed ?
We had an event scheduled for June but it was cancelled so the only next available one was August. Hopefully next year we will be more active.

The Serpent was great tbh, ...ran straight as an arrow and considering some of the weights I added were "educated" guess work on my part it never even came close to looking out of shape.

Oh and I I can see it at those speeds because I painted it in bright colours. :D ;)
28.jpg

You and me both, my friend!
- Jim

Just got an early birthday present from my parents which is an Ikea display case so my Arrma's have a nice new place on display, ...much better than hidden in their boxes I think. :)

99.jpg

98.jpg

....nice bit of space at the bottom for another RC as well. :unsure::p
I did try to see if a Losi 8ight truggy I have would fit but it was too wide unfortunately even with the wheels off. Guess I'll have to think of something else to fill that space. ;)

Very nice case for the cars @GMballistic !
You may want to get some blocks to have the tires off the ground. This help keep them from flat spotting and messing with the wheel/tire balance.
They are on blocks, you just have to look closely ?

Ps: @GMballistic I’m totally diggin that hornet! ?

Very nice case for the cars @GMballistic !
Thanks Liberty and as @Hammer Down correctly spotted the cars are all on blue blocks, ...I stole my Mrs Yoga blocks. Funny thing is she only found out yesterday that I was using them and cutting them up so shows how much she was using them. :LOL: ;)

Ps: @GMballistic I’m totally diggin that hornet! ?
It's a "re-release" edition from Tamiya but still as good looking as the original 1980's version. Funny story is that the Tamiya Hornet is what got me back into RC cars and ultimately into Arrma after some 15 years or more away from RC cars.

I wanted a Tamiya RC kit to build so my Mrs bought me that Hornet one Christmas. After I had finished building it I was excited to see how it drove with a fairly mild 15T brushed motor but unfortunately it handled terribly. :ROFLMAO: On tarmac if you tried to turn at anything mildly quick it just wants to barrel roll down the road.

So I decided to start looking for a more useable buggy and the Arrma Typhon was one of the buggies I started researching. That's when I came across YouTube speed run videos by @phildogg (Philip Jolley) as well as RC Innovation (Brandon Botwinick) and then that made me fall in love with speed runs so I started with the Typhon 6S like they both used. So happy that happened. (y)

Thanks Liberty and as @Hammer Down correctly spotted the cars are all on blue blocks, ...I stole my Mrs Yoga blocks. Funny thing is she only found out yesterday that I was using them and cutting them up so shows how much she was using them. :LOL: ;)

It's a "re-release" edition from Tamiya but still as good looking as the original 1980's version. Funny story is that the Tamiya Hornet is what got me back into RC cars and ultimately into Arrma after some 15 years or more away from RC cars.

I wanted a Tamiya RC kit to build so my Mrs bought me that Hornet one Christmas. After I had finished building it I was excited to see how it drove with a fairly mild 15T brushed motor but unfortunately it handled terribly. :ROFLMAO: On tarmac if you tried to turn at anything mildly quick it just wants to barrel roll down the road.

So I decided to start looking for a more useable buggy and the Arrma Typhon was one of the buggies I started researching. That's when I came across YouTube speed run videos by @phildogg (Philip Jolley) as well as RC Innovation (Brandon Botwinick) and then that made me fall in love with speed runs so I started with the Typhon 6S like they both used. So happy that happened. (y)
Tamiya Re releases got me back into RC cars. I left around 1994 and my last cars were a Tamiya Blitzer Beetle and an HPI rs4? I think it was? Brushed of course and on 7.4 nimh. So like 3 years ago I bought a Re release Tamiya and it snowballed from there. I was blown away by Lipo battery and brushless power because I had quit RC in the pre Lipo days. It was like I was in a coma and was brought back to a whole new world(of RC...lol) ? The hobby was like new to me again. I will never forget my first time running a car with Lipo batteries Arrma Typhon on 6s flat out in the walmart parking lot with an old phone strapped to it and getting 59Mph! After that I was hooked. Then came Youtube...watching Phil, RC innovation and Kenny like you. Then came speed runs. So far I'm at 122Mph with my Slash 4x4. Loving this hobby!

That's fantastic @fullspectrum almost identical stories.
You're so right it's a whole different RC world now and I love it too. I've also made some great friends here online as well as at speed running events here in the UK. ;)(y)
Yeah I've met a bunch of cool people too but where I am(Toronto Canada) there aren't many, if any, speed runners. I'm usually out there alone. I haven't seen any guys on Youtube from my area Speed running. On a side note I got my Felony with stock body up to 119Mph but crashed. I managed a clean 114Mph just before.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back