Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little video of some of my runs from the ROSSA UK Speed Championships in August.

(y)
Congrats on the PB with the Typhon!
Why not climb up in the stand they had setup? Seeing people stand near the car running by at top speed makes me cringe!

Congrats on the PB with the Typhon!
Why not climb up in the stand they had setup? Seeing people stand near the car running by at top speed makes me cringe!
It's really up to the individual, ....I didn't climb up the tower because I am more used to running my car from the ground level perspective. It is definitely more dangerous though you're right.

I tried running from the tower before and my pass was all over the place. I will try again though for sure. (y)

Nice run, I love these Rossa run videos.. Man I would LOVE to run my cars there.. the best speedrun setup I have ever seen hands down. Makes it look easy lol.. Why cant we have something like this event here in the California deserts, around the Mojave??
On that runway with that construction stand, I bet you can see the car from 1500 ft away easily, if not more. Being the UK, did it rain during the event?

Nice run, I love these Rossa run videos.. Man I would LOVE to run my cars there.. the best speedrun setup I have ever seen hands down. Makes it look easy lol.. Why cant we have something like this event here in the California deserts, around the Mojave??
On that runway with that construction stand, I bet you can see the car from 1500 ft away easily, if not more. Being the UK, did it rain during the event?
Sorry for the slow reply been a bit busy lately and not on here as often.

The guys with the best eyesight can see their cars from some ridiculous distances, ...me not so much. :ROFLMAO:

It did rain during the event yes but luckily it was only for a bit and when it does rain it usually dries out fairly fast on the runway.

Did some general maintenance to the Typhon today including fresh 100K silicone oil in the front/rear diffs, some shims to tighten it up a little and new bearings from RC Bearings UK all round.

I also fitted a new set of centre driveshafts.
These are titanium ones from Scorched RC and I'm hoping they'll withstand whatever gets put through them just like the standard ones had so far. Decided to change from the OEM Arrma ones as my front centre driveshaft had signs of damage from touching my aluminium servo mount, ...I believe at very high RPM it had been wobbling/bending and touching the mount as usually there is plenty of clearance.

179 Scorched RC shafts fitted.jpg

180 All back together.jpg

I also changed my gearing as I had maxed out what the motor mount could accommodate with my 38T HR spur gear (34T/38T).
Now running an FOH 35T solid spur gear instead.

I did some testing with my Typhon speed runner after adding a radio booster, new Scorched Parts centre driveshafts and general maintenance over the last few weeks/months.

Booster works but no idea how much extra range it will give me and the Typhon ran great with some mild 60-70mph passes made on a very short road locally.
It was good getting out with it again but it didn't last long with my pinion coming loose so that ended play early as I had no suitable allen keys with me to sort.

It did show up though a gearing issue when I went to refit my pinion gear ~ last year I ran 34T pinion and a 38T spur with a PB of 127mph.
I needed to gear up but couldn't as I ran out of adjustment on the mount so I fitted a 35T spur at the end of last years ROSSA events but couldn't test. Yesterday I quickly realised that it was only going to allow me to gear up from a 32T pinion which I was using by a couple of teeth before again I ran out of adjustment on the motor mount.

With that in mind I have used the smallest spur gear that I have left which fits my Hot Racing spool a 31T. This gearing now (29T/31T) should hopefully put me just a head of my PB from last year with much more room to gear up.
181 New gearing 29T pinion & 31T spur.jpg

I did some testing with my Typhon speed runner after adding a radio booster, new Scorched Parts centre driveshafts and general maintenance over the last few weeks/months.

Booster works but no idea how much extra range it will give me and the Typhon ran great with some mild 60-70mph passes made on a very short road locally.
It was good getting out with it again but it didn't last long with my pinion coming loose so that ended play early as I had no suitable allen keys with me to sort.

It did show up though a gearing issue when I went to refit my pinion gear ~ last year I ran 34T pinion and a 38T spur with a PB of 127mph.
I needed to gear up but couldn't as I ran out of adjustment on the mount so I fitted a 35T spur at the end of last years ROSSA events but couldn't test. Yesterday I quickly realised that it was only going to allow me to gear up from a 32T pinion which I was using by a couple of teeth before again I ran out of adjustment on the motor mount.

With that in mind I have used the smallest spur gear that I have left which fits my Hot Racing spool a 31T. This gearing now (29T/31T) should hopefully put me just a head of my PB from last year with much more room to gear up.
View attachment 204700
What mount are you using? I’m pretty sure you can run larger gearing using the stock Arrma mount, definitely with the PPS-RC. I have the stock one on my Typhon with a PPS front and top and ran 39t on the motor. I also run a pinocchio spool!👍🏼

75105D65-46E4-45C9-8130-74A0865ADD1B.jpeg

What mount are you using? I’m pretty sure you can run larger gearing using the stock Arrma mount, definitely with the PPS-RC. I have the stock one on my Typhon with a PPS front and top and ran 39t on the motor. I also run a pinocchio spool!

The mount is the standard Arrma Typhon V3 mount that came with the car in 2018.

I'm reluctant to change it at the moment because I custom made my mount for the XLX2 which although would probably still work with the newer Arrma mounts or even a PPS I wouldn't be able to get at the screws to adjust the gear mesh.

Will run it like this for 2022 and see how it does. If I need more adjustment then I'll have to change the mount for next year but I'm hopeful I won't have to. (y)

Went to this years first event of the ROSSA UK Speed Championships. Fantastic seeing old friends, making some new ones and watching all the cars fly.

The Typhon did not go well unfortunately as on my very first run it destroyed the 31T spur gear so was out of action.
186 Destroyed spur gear from first run at ROSSA.jpg

Looks like to me that as the spur gear was the smallest I could fit where the holes were drilled was a weak spot of the gear so under heavy load it had just failed.
188.jpg

I had another slightly larger 35T spur gear for it that I could of used but it would of taken me an hour most likely to have replaced and at the time I couldn't be bothered as I just wanted to run not wrench.

So with that in mind I broke out the Limitless. :)
It was always my plan to run it of course but I was going to get some runs in with the Typhon firstly on day 1 and then move on to the Limitless.

Tbh the Typhon breaking early on was a blessing in disguise as it gave me a lot of trigger time with the Limitless and it was my best ROSSA event ever. New PB of 150. something mph with the Limitless so in the 150 club now (have videos but still sorting out).

Just spent today fixing the Typhon and working on the Limitless. I've now fitted a Limitless spool into the Typhon as well as a Scorched Parts carbon fibre steering plate that I used to have on my Infraction. New gears added so cannot wait to test it out at the next ROSSA event in around 6 weeks.
190 Scorched Parts carbon fibre top plate.jpg

Sounds like you are doing well. Congrats on the overall PB!
Thank you.
Definitely a massive improvement ~ my PB went from 127mph to 150mph over the weekend so very happy with that.

The biggest improvement this year for me was having the radio boosted so the range to use as much of the space available as I felt comfortable with. I also went up the tower/scaffolding to improve my view point rather than run on the ground level: again something I should of done a long time ago but just had to get there at my own pace.
18 Limitless new PB 150mph.jpg

Got some Contact foams on the way for the Limitless as do not want to risk running the GRP's anymore now I am above 150mph. (y)

Last weekend was Round 2 of the UK ROSSA Speed Championships.

Was an amazing event where we had our biggest turn out yet of attendees not to mention also a few famous YouTube stars.
299512096_742854573668233_2734665918569846631_n.jpg
299529008_742854330334924_7810427826593403736_n.jpg
299812590_10159302914275805_7104627022757572227_n.jpg

The weather was ridiculously hot and caused a lot of issues for people ~ the only thing it was really good for was getting the Lipo's warm before a run.

I was plagued with issues myself including a motor bell housing coming loose, V3 motor mount failing to hold the motor properly, damaged gears (due to the mount issue), x2 dead 6S lipos a dead XLX ESC and a few other problems. Not that I am making excuses or complaining. :LOL:

New PB of 129mph odd for the Typhon but I know it can do so much more than that but unfortunately I am going to have to wait now till next year.

Awesome footage and killer event. I wish I could be there...

I honestly think your traction issues are downforce related.
Not sure how hot the surface Temps were but I have measured 54.44 c (130f) on my road and have never had traction issues. (Grp xm3)

Awesome footage and killer event. I wish I could be there...

I honestly think your traction issues are downforce related.
Not sure how hot the surface Temps were but I have measured 54.44 c (130f) on my road and have never had traction issues. (Grp xm3)
It was around 55 degrees surface temperature when I checked but that was a little later in the day so could have been hotter at the peak.

Any suggestions? What are you thinking...
Never had downforce issues with the Typhon before and it was doing similar speeds June (in the 120's).

After my minor crash apart from the bodyshell damage the rear spoiler was damaged slightly so that is something I need to repair or replace. If you think it will help maybe I'll change the design or size of it.

@GMballistic ... looks like it was a good weekend..!! (y) Is that Raz with KT ?? ( poor Raz, that seems like punishment );):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It was great and the two of them were so funny, ...Raz was winding Kev up a lot. Liked meeting them both and it was great seeing them run their cars.

It was around 55 degrees surface temperature when I checked but that was a little later in the day so could have been hotter at the peak.

Any suggestions? What are you thinking...
Never had downforce issues with the Typhon before and it was doing similar speeds June (in the 120's).

After my minor crash apart from the bodyshell damage the rear spoiler was damaged slightly so that is something I need to repair or replace. If you think it will help maybe I'll change the design or size of it.

It was great and the two of them were so funny, ...Raz was winding Kev up a lot. Liked meeting them both and it was great seeing them run their cars.

I have never spoken with Kev, but Raz is a really nice guy. I am sure that was an especially fun event with those two there!

For your extra traction needs I would do something to both the front and rear.
For the front a wedge helps provide downforce and can direct the air over the front shock/tower which will help gain some speed along with the needed downforce.
The rear wing needs to have some angle of attack and it will both work better and generate less drag if it is a true airfoil shape.

The record on ROSSA appears to have both of those features:

1661044923448.png

I have never spoken with Kev, but Raz is a really nice guy. I am sure that was an especially fun event with those two there!

For your extra traction needs I would do something to both the front and rear.
For the front a wedge helps provide downforce and can direct the air over the front shock/tower which will help gain some speed along with the needed downforce.
The rear wing needs to have some angle of attack and it will both work better and generate less drag if it is a true airfoil shape.
Cheers Liberty.
I'll have a go at a redesign then of the rear wing and definitely add something to the front ~ it will only be something small to stay within the ROSSA rules but should help I hope.
Will post in here what I make. (y)

FYI that's an old record as we've beat the Aussies since. :p:LOL:
152.53mph is the "Open Wheel" world record at ROSSA currently set by Martin Peace.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back