Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy with my ride height...

...and with a speed meter I decided to see what I could get from the 23T/50T set up.
I'm still yet to find a decent place to fully let rip with the Typhon so for now I went to a dis-used cinema car park locally.
This is what I got (pictured below) on that day.

Tbh I know the car had so much more to give than that but I'm really trying to learn how to progressively apply the throttle to build up to top speed which isn't easy with a limited amount of space to run it in.

Also because the car park is an overflow car park it is essentially unused so there is a lot of debris around on the floor like small branches etc so a couple of times I had to back off the throttle because it was getting loose.

After a short wait I finally received my Hot Racing centre spool and a Hot Racing 38T spur gear from Power Hobby. Bl*dy UK customs took a chunk of cash from me though for no reason whatsoever (robbing sds).

Taking my centre diff apart it was nice to see it had some oil in it (even though it wasn't needed anymore).

Ready for assembly, ...Loctite for the screws on the spur gear and I decided to use a tiny drop of super glue on one of the pins which is held in by only an O-ring usually.

I used the 3 allen key bolts that came with the centre spool rather than the 3 that came with the spur gear as they used a bigger size of allen key to fit them.

All fitted together just waiting for the pinion gear...

...which was a lovely Traxxas 34T pinion.

Should be a little bit quicker with that set up now. :D

Now with my new centre spool and gearing 34T/38T set up it was starting to come together.

I eased into my first run on a new road I'd found which afforded me more distance but had a downside of 4-5" high curbs running the entire length of the road as well as occasional parked vehicles at the furthest ends.

First pass...

Didn't get near full throttle and was just feeling it out tbh so did some more runs at a similar pace.

It was all going really well and the new road I was running on felt really smooth. That's when disaster struck though and I had my first crash with the Typhon... ? Pictures below of the damage once I'd got it home;

This is what happened ~ basically I've discovered for speed runs I like to run right to left so I was driving the Typhon back down the road towards my starting point for doing another run. My GPS telemetry shows me that just before the accident I reached 61mph so even just cruising hardly on throttle the speed builds up. I came down the road at that speed and hit the brakes a little too hard in my eagerness to stop & turn around.
The rear broke loose and the whole buggy went side ways, ...I tried to correct but without enough space it hit one of those 4-5" curbs I mentioned earlier and tore the pivot ball completely out of the lower front wishbone arm.

Tbh I got lucky as there isn't a whole lot wrong. Everything seems straight, servo seems fine etc so I just need a new lower wishbone arm and shock pin too as the head sheared off when it hit the curb. Some slight scrapes but I can live with that (battle scars).

That was just over a week ago now so just waiting on some parts to land with me for the repairs to start. ;)

Wow! Bummer! I ordered one of those center spools and a spur gear, for just in case I want to convert my Kraton. Right now, I'm playing with a 3S Typhon, Castle 2200kv motor and Mamba 2 ESC on 6S. Got to 70mph out in front of my house, but like you, need to go to a place with more room, to let her wind up.:)

Wow! Bummer! I ordered one of those center spools and a spur gear, for just in case I want to convert my Kraton. Right now, I'm playing with a 3S Typhon, Castle 2200kv motor and Mamba 2 ESC on 6S. Got to 70mph out in front of my house, but like you, need to go to a place with more room, to let her wind up.:)
I've seen a 3S made to do over 120mph so it is definitely capable of a good turn of speed with the right set up. Keep us posted on how you get on, ...in here or link me to one of your threads, ...whichever's easiest.

Yeah I was bummed out to have had a little bump with my Typhon but tbh I knew it would have to happen at some point. When I checked the GPS telemetry it showed 11mph just before point of impact so it scrubbed off a lot of speed (from 60mph odd) hence why the damage wasn't worse.

I've got some spares on the way to me now though so should be operational again by the weekend. Weather permitting I might take it out for a run then. (y)

Last edited:
With the Typhon off the road (literally) it's giving me time to look at it further now it has had a few runs and I noticed the rear of the chassis starting to take some damage (see picture below).
I will be changing my shock oil for a heavier weight as well as the springs at some stage but for now I decided on some protection for the chassis.

The protection I chose was an "RPM skid plate" which was quickly delivered via RC Mart, Hong Kong.

I highly recommend it as a worthy investment for the Typhon. Cheap, super easy to fit and should offer a good level of protection to the chassis plate for when/if it does bottom out.

Oh man why did you point me at this thread! I have a serious soft spot for these Typhon's and your making me want one even more lol.
I think i will need to plan every car journey to make sure i only drive on rubbish roads because if i ever come across a long smooth road locally its going to get really tempting to follow suit if i keep watching this thread ?
Don't they look super sexy when they are lowered etc!! Could almost get one and modify the life out of it just to stare at it on the shelf. They are like works of art. Seriously cool thread man ? will definitely keep an eye on this

Don't they look super sexy when they are lowered etc!! Could almost get one and modify the life out of it just to stare at it on the shelf. They are like works of art. Seriously cool thread man ? will definitely keep an eye on this
They do look so good set up for road and would definitely make a beautiful shelf queen, ...much more fun driving it though. ;)

Everyone should have a Typhon in their collection. :D

They do look so good set up for road and would definitely make a beautiful shelf queen, ...much more fun driving it though. ;)

Everyone should have a Typhon in their collection. :D
I can see me having one in the future. Although maybe not a speed runner. I will probably end up with a collection of arrmas as i have my eye on one for my son. Funnily enough the typhon was one of my considerations for him. I was thinking run a smaller pinion on 3s to start with and progress upwards as he learns.
My logic being that the cars should withstand the damage rather well at lower speeds with the strength of 1/8 parts and the typhon is still a small vehicle. Seems like a win win and the car could grow with him

I can see me having one in the future. Although maybe not a speed runner. I will probably end up with a collection of arrmas as i have my eye on one for my son. Funnily enough the typhon was one of my considerations for him. I was thinking run a smaller pinion on 3s to start with and progress upwards as he learns.
My logic being that the cars should withstand the damage rather well at lower speeds with the strength of 1/8 parts and the typhon is still a small vehicle. Seems like a win win and the car could grow with him
That's a great idea, ...the Typhon would be a great choice for him imho. Very robust, stable at speed, upgrade-able and more importantly a lot of fun.

If you did get him one I wouldn't go too small on the pinion gear though as it will increase acceleration which may make it a bit difficult for him launching it if he's heavy on the throttle. ;)

This is what I did for my son. I bought him a Kraton so that it can grow with him and started him on 2s and he is working his way up. All of my friends were telling me to get a cheap $100-150 brushed 2wd for now to get him started and I thought, "why so that I can buy a car now and another car later and then never even think of the original car again?" Their response was "what if he doesn't like the hobby." I said, that is why I'm picking the Kraton for him, so that if he doesn't like it, I will now have one.

That's a great idea, ...the Typhon would be a great choice for him imho. Very robust, stable at speed, upgrade-able and more importantly a lot of fun.

If you did get him one I wouldn't go too small on the pinion gear though as it will increase acceleration which may make it a bit difficult for him launching it if he's heavy on the throttle. ;)
Valid point re the pinion although id imagine 3s to take some of the sting out of it but i hadn't considered that. Im not overly concerned though as he's cutting his teeth on one of my mutants at the moment. A latrax (traxxas shock horror lol) teton 1/18th that ive modded over the last 2 years or more which is a little monster and bless his little soul he has actually listened to me about being progressive with throttle control. With a 5800kv motor running 2s with a 54 tooth spur it absolutely flies ?.
Not much latrax about it anymore apart from the chassis plate. In fact i think im right in saying the only things left are the chassis plate and spur cover case lol. Cost me a fortune for it not to fall apart on every run lmao

This is what I did for my son. I bought him a Kraton so that it can grow with him and started him on 2s and he is working his way up. All of my friends were telling me to get a cheap $100-150 brushed 2wd for now to get him started and I thought, "why so that I can buy a car now and another car later and then never even think of the original car again?" Their response was "what if he doesn't like the hobby." I said, that is why I'm picking the Kraton for him, so that if he doesn't like it, I will now have one.
I like your thinking. Definitely a plus point if youd have gained a kraton for yourself ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back