Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is funny to think that we had to build kits back then.... now you get that hog ready to run!!! its awesome and sad at the same time...
Way better to build them, we tear apart the RTRs when new anyway

How are you finding the SkyRC gps..??
It's really good imo.
I bought it from Hobby King for £54 odd delivered which was the cheapest price I found from a decent trust worthy seller (couple on eBay were a few pounds cheaper but better to go with a trusted seller I think). Was in stock from their UK warehouse too.

It's very lightweight which is something I wanted to make sure of as I didn't want to add weight to the Typhon and it has a compact size. Charging is easy and so far the battery is lasting long enough that I haven't had to charge it again since I bought it.

It finds the GPS satellites within 60 seconds, usually quicker and from testing it in my real car the speedometer reading seems very accurate.

It took me a little while though to set up the "GPS Logger" on my laptop so that I could adjust the settings. I explain further on post n#135 in Dutch's speed thread: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-typhon-journey-to-speed-build-thread.9903/page-7
But still that was no big deal and you get some great telemetry.

From the research I did on speed meters though I do know it does have a small downside compared to some that the refresh rate (how often it refreshes position/speed via satellite) of 1Hz (once per second) isn't as good as some other speed meters but that is more than accurate enough for me.
I'd definitely recommend one.

EDITED 12/05/19 ~ NOTE: I have now upgraded to the Dynamite GPS and it is considerably better with it's faster refresh rate of 10Hz (ten times per second).
The SkyRC GPS I had also went faulty after just a short while ~ reading low speeds when quite obviously going much faster as well as failing to download the data from the speed meter to the GPS logger on my laptop. For this reason I would recommend spending the extra money to get a better quality speed meter like Dynamite GPS if you're serious about speed runs.

Last edited:
@GMballistic greetings from the US, however I was born NW of London and lived in cricklewood till I was 3yrs old.

My suggestion for speed runs (no one does this) is to look at the Salt Flat world record cars that are built strictly for top speed. The RC world for some reason does not try to understand aerodynamics even though it is a fundamental part of what they try to achieve. If I were you I’d purchase sheet lexan to build a center stabilizer which will help you from crashing at speed.

The other thing you can make with the lexan is a rear diffuser to clean the air as it passes under the chassis. You can attach it where the rear diff screws into the chassis and remove your RPM skid plate. These changes will help you significantly.

Edit: you want thicker lexan .030-40 so it is pliable but won’t be as prone to flapping around. You want your aero stiff.

@2015GTRBE I do have some ideas for aero type mods but as I'm only just starting out those ideas are on the back burner.

For example I know you can get a Team Associated rear diffuser (old stock so hard to find but they are out there) which can be easily made to fit on the back of the Typhon as seen below fitted to a Senton...

The other thing I really want to do is fit a decent front wing. I haven't seen any Typhon speed runners using a proper one like you might find on an F1 car so that's what I'd like to try to make or fabricate one to fit from another R/c.

Thanks for the welcome and positive ideas. (y)

@2015GTRBE I do have some ideas for aero type mods but as I'm only just starting out those ideas are on the back burner.

For example I know you can get a Team Associated rear diffuser (old stock so hard to find but they are out there) which can be easily made to fit on the back of the Typhon as seen below fitted to a Senton...
View attachment 31859

The other thing I really want to do is fit a decent front wing. I haven't seen any Typhon speed runners using a proper one like you might find on an F1 car so that's what I'd like to try to make or fabricate one to fit from another R/c.

Thanks for the welcome and positive ideas. (y)

The F1 front aero is for down force and turning stability so that will slow you down, but to combat front lift you can easily do that by adding a wing near the front shock towers similar to modern 1/10 scale 4wD buggies. See yokomo, Schumacher etc.

The F1 front aero is for down force and turning stability so that will slow you down, but to combat front lift you can easily do that by adding a wing near the front shock towers similar to modern 1/10 scale 4wD buggies. See yokomo, Schumacher etc.
Yeah I thought it would help with downforce but definitely don't want to add anything to slow it down. May re-think that idea then.

Cheers for the input/ideas. All welcome. (y)

Yeah I thought it would help with downforce but definitely don't want to add anything to slow it down. May re-think that idea then.

Cheers for the input/ideas. All welcome. (y)
You basically need to make s simple “duck bill” type spoiler for the front. It would help to make winglets to move the air away from the shock towers which are like air brakes due the their flat faced shape.

With aero tweaks you can get more out of your car without over powering it to the point it’s too hard to drive. You can also add brass weights to the front end to help plant the nose.

If I sound like a “know it all” through text I apologize, it’s not how I mean it. I can sound pompous through text because my stances are strong lol, but take no offense

Bought a job lot of parts which worked out a lot cheaper than buying all the individual parts. Some of the parts are for a Senton though so I've taken what I want to keep for the Typhon and will try to sell on the Senton specific parts.

I came to fit the new lower wishbone arm this evening and discovered on stripping the Typhon down that the lower hinge pin was bent out of shape, ...typically a part I don't have so a pair of those are now on order. More waiting. :(

Always the way..!!

Order parts, then find out other stuff is broken..??
It's typical isn't it. :sneaky:

Plus I almost bought another job lot which included lot's of lower pins, new bumper etc but just thought "nah I won't need it". :LOL:

Sent you a message FYI on MSUK as I wondered if you might be interested in some of the Senton parts as spares for yours if they'd fit (not sure if you've a 6S or brushed model). No worries if not.

@GMballistic greetings from the US, however I was born NW of London and lived in cricklewood till I was 3yrs old.

My suggestion for speed runs (no one does this) is to look at the Salt Flat world record cars that are built strictly for top speed. The RC world for some reason does not try to understand aerodynamics even though it is a fundamental part of what they try to achieve. If I were you I’d purchase sheet lexan to build a center stabilizer which will help you from crashing at speed.

The other thing you can make with the lexan is a rear diffuser to clean the air as it passes under the chassis. You can attach it where the rear diff screws into the chassis and remove your RPM skid plate. These changes will help you significantly.

Edit: you want thicker lexan .030-40 so it is pliable but won’t be as prone to flapping around. You want your aero stiff.
Good point. Also, no rear wings. I was wondering if the stock Typhon rear wing might add too much down force and if one could gain an extra 1-2 mph by simply removing the wing.

@ninadada I've seen a lot of people running very high speeds with wings still but I have noticed that most aren't stock anymore, ...some are very small, most are just flat (less drag/air resistance) and from what I can tell they're all fabricated ones rather than "off the shelf" jobs.

Definitely another thing that needs more research although as yet it's not on my to do list. (y)

@ninadada I've seen a lot of people running very high speeds with wings still but I have noticed that most aren't stock anymore, ...some are very small, most are just flat (less drag/air resistance) and from what I can tell they're all fabricated ones rather than "off the shelf" jobs.

Definitely another thing that needs more research although as yet it's not on my to do list. (y)
Decided to test for myself today. With 20T/50T gearing, ran 100 kph twice. Took the wing off, ran 102 kph twice. The car is noticeably less stable without the wing. The rear end tends to bounce around a little more particularly during acceleration. The custom wings are probably an attempt at a happy medium.

Attachments

• IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 60
Decided to test for myself today. With 20T/50T gearing, ran 100 kph twice. Took the wing off, ran 102 kph twice. The car is noticeably less stable without the wing. The rear end tends to bounce around a little more particularly during acceleration. The custom wings are probably an attempt at a happy medium.
Interesting test and I agree about the custom wings. Might have to make my own at some point. :)

Interesting test and I agree about the custom wings. Might have to make my own at some point. :)
The thing with the wing is the stock has alot of downforce which slows you down and will cause lift of the front at speed. so a flat wing still gives some downforce but doesn't add drag as you saw you picked up 2kphwithout. it on;y get worse at faster speeds.

The thing with the wing is the stock has alot of downforce which slows you down and will cause lift of the front at speed. so a flat wing still gives some downforce but doesn't add drag as you saw you picked up 2kph without. it only get worse at faster speeds.
It is great to see you on here again Philip. (y)
It was watching your videos that first got me interested in the whole "R/c speed runs" and obviously you have been some what inspirational to me (as well as helpful answering some of my questions).

I'm having a lot of fun with my Typhon and have made some good progress I think from what it was as standard. Hoping to get it all put back together after my first bump for a few runs on Sunday weather permitting.

Re: the rear wing ~ definitely going to address this issue sooner rather than later. Just need to decide on material to use, design etc and start trying to fabricate something. Any tips always welcome. Thanks.

I would look on Ebay for some thick lexan say 1.5mm - 3mm strong easy to work with and cheap..!!

You can even bend it to shape..??

Or

Take a look on Hobbyking they have some really cheap 1/8 wings ..!! (less than £2) good for testing and breaking ????

I would look on Ebay for some thick lexan say 1.5mm - 3mm strong easy to work with and cheap..!!

You can even bend it to shape..??

Or

Take a look on Hobbyking they have some really cheap 1/8 wings ..!! (less than £2) good for testing and breaking ????
Cheers Brian I'll take a look on Hobbyking to see if I see anything suitable.

I was thinking maybe aluminium as it is lightweight, fairly strong and easy to work with. Still food for thought with the lexan idea thank you. (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back