Speed Runners ~ How Fast Did You Go Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the issue though is it's getting worse and worse IMO what they are producing. Motor is going to fail and 100A may start flaming up like the 150A now especially trying to push a 3900kv motor. Plastic mega spur will shred quick, plastic chassis will explode from high speed impacts. Stripped plastic inputs and diffs will be a guarantee. No suspension tuneability for speed running a complete waste to me and pushing me away from supporting Arrma unfortunately. Think after I pick up a MEXB I'm done supporting Arrma as it's been nothing but disappointment since the V5 rigs came out.

I honestly believe they are best left as what they are. Cars you can run in the street at speeds of 20-70 mph. (70 being a rare thing)
Arrma never said these are the new best speed runners. They are not in my opinion! BUT people will buy them and have fun with them. That is the important thing with this hobby...

True speed cars will remain the stronger built Arrma 6s line, Mugen, Hobao, ETC.
Arrma has forever changed the speed side of the hobby with the 1/7 scale cars.

Looking back at 5+ years ago where this hobby was.... People took the Slash 4x4 to 160+ mph, but man it took replacing every part on it!!! It was a cheaper 300-499.00 car that took another 700.00 in parts to go over 100mph with any stability.

To go really fast you will always need 1/8 scale foam tires. 1/10 scale will never be as fast due to the tire limitations related to the RPMs they have to turn.
Thus why my 200+ build is smaller than a 1/10 scale car in width (aerodynamic reasons), but has large 1/8 scale tires/wheels on it.

I honestly believe they are best left as what they are. Cars you can run in the street at speeds of 20-70 mph. (70 being a rare thing)
Arrma never said these are the new best speed runners. They are not in my opinion! BUT people will buy them and have fun with them. That is the important thing with this hobby...

True speed cars will remain the stronger built Arrma 6s line, Mugen, Hobao, ETC.
Arrma has forever changed the speed side of the hobby with the 1/7 scale cars.

Looking back at 5+ years ago where this hobby was.... People took the Slash 4x4 to 160+ mph, but man it took replacing every part on it!!! It was a cheaper 300-499.00 car that took another 700.00 in parts to go over 100mph with any stability.

To go really fast you will always need 1/8 scale foam tires. 1/10 scale will never be as fast due to the tire limitations related to the RPMs they have to turn.
Thus why my 200+ build is smaller than a 1/10 scale car in width (aerodynamic reasons), but has large 1/8 scale tires/wheels on it.
That's where I hugely disagree though is these will not be enjoyable and be fun as I will guarantee these will fail and have issues causing disappointment and pushing people away from the hobby. People having to deal with warranty claims and rigs failing is not exactly my idea of fun or getting/keeping more people in the hobby.

That's where I hugely disagree though is these will not be enjoyable and be fun as I will guarantee these will fail and have issues causing disappointment and pushing people away from the hobby. People having to deal with warranty claims and rigs failing is not exactly my idea of fun or getting/keeping more people in the hobby.
That is very possible. We see the motor / ESC / Radio and bearing failures quite often. HH/Arrma has some data analysts out there that have recognized that I can assure you.

Truth of the matter is that RC cars break and break often! A lot of people get into the hobby not realizing that and exit shortly after. It is a money pit hobby for sure and some accept that for what it is, while others don't.

Even if they went out and bought an X-Ray or Tekno or an EXB model Arrma they would run into part failures and disappointment sooner or later. You get what you pay for and there is a big quality difference with the mega/3s line up to the 6s line. Honestly I cannot believe people support the 8s line as much as they do given the issues those have and the related costs.

Anyone have any experience with Poseidon motors for speed runs? Seem to be readily available!🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyone have any experience with Poseidon motors for speed runs? Seem to be readily available!🤷🏻‍♂️

From what I understand they are very similar to Castle/Neu motors. The only thing is that I have never once see anyone go fast with them.
They seem to under perform compared to TP Power. Also seen a few posts on this forum where people tried them in bashers and noted that they always run hot, which seems to align with the thought that they are less efficient. If the wattage is not going towards turning the rotor then it is instead being transferred into heat.

From what I understand they are very similar to Castle/Neu motors. The only thing is that I have never once see anyone go fast with them.
They seem to under perform compared to TP Power. Also seen a few posts on this forum where people tried them in bashers and noted that they always run hot, which seems to align with the thought that they are less efficient. If the wattage is not going towards turning the rotor then it is instead being transferred into heat.
Sounds like another TP for me. I only own one now and haven’t had the best of luck. 4070 2250kv, runs hot and crazy ripple! Wondering which to buy this time, running 6s in a stretched Typhon. Any suggestions?

That's the issue though is it's getting worse and worse IMO what they are producing. Motor is going to fail and 100A may start flaming up like the 150A now especially trying to push a 3900kv motor. Plastic mega spur will shred quick, plastic chassis will explode from high speed impacts. Stripped plastic inputs and diffs will be a guarantee. No suspension tuneability for speed running a complete waste to me and pushing me away from supporting Arrma unfortunately. Think after I pick up a MEXB I'm done supporting Arrma as it's been nothing but disappointment since the V5 rigs came out.

And that's another huge issue to me is the fact you literally will need to spend what the rig cost more to make it worth a $hit at all. Why bother at that point
I have ran that platform to 131mph with POS 3D printed parts. Now they have low towers, real splitters and diffusers. Add to that what Phil did with the Vorteks and you can see the potential. I will almost guarantee Phil will have his doing 140+ almost out of the gate. I will try to keep up pace the best I can. If you don’t want to try one I understand. But these new parts are going to make speed running them way easier. I have an MMX8S and TP4050 with nothing better to do. I also have metal diffs and yokes and the M2C motor mount (if it fits).

Sounds like another TP for me. I only own one now and haven’t had the best of luck. 4070 2250kv, runs hot and crazy ripple! Wondering which to buy this time, running 6s in a stretched Typhon. Any suggestions?
Lower KV with more gearing is the path to enlightenment 👰‍♂️

I believe 1300-1700 is the range to stick with. If you can swing it the 56 series TP motors will outperform the 40mm options.

Lower KV with more gearing is the path to enlightenment 👰‍♂️

I believe 1300-1700 is the range to stick with. If you can swing it the 56 series TP motors will outperform the 40mm options.
I’ve got a 5650 on the way for my Infraction, recommended by JD! Taking forever to ship, supposedly some holiday!🤨 Kinda wanna order another motor now because shipping is so unpredictable, but don’t wanna jump the gun and get something that will be troublesome like the 4070 2250kv.

I’ve got a 5650 on the way for my Infraction, recommended by JD! Taking forever to ship, supposedly some holiday!🤨 Kinda wanna order another motor now because shipping is so unpredictable, but don’t wanna jump the gun and get something that will be troublesome like the 4070 2250kv.
I do wonder if you just have a bad monday morning model 4070-2250kv
My current validated pb was with the 4070cm-2350kv on 8S with a max ripple of 0.6v. Highest ripple i can find in my logs for all 4070 motors is 1.48v

I do wonder if you just have a bad monday morning model 4070-2250kv
My current validated pb was with the 4070cm-2350kv on 8S with a max ripple of 0.6v. Highest ripple i can find in my logs for all 4070 motors is 1.48v
That’s more like it. I’m new to speed and TP. I’ve heard from several other reliable sources that TP is hit or miss. (Unpredictable) A guy that runs in the 170’s said he stopped using TP because of having so many issues and motors not braking! He’s running Steve Neu motors now! Pricey🤨

And BTW, I recorded ripple as high as 4.77! 😬 Running 34/34, 29/34!🤷🏻‍♂️ Is it worth contacting TP about the motor?

I have ran that platform to 131mph with POS 3D printed parts. Now they have low towers, real splitters and diffusers. Add to that what Phil did with the Vorteks and you can see the potential. I will almost guarantee Phil will have his doing 140+ almost out of the gate. I will try to keep up pace the best I can. If you don’t want to try one I understand. But these new parts are going to make speed running them way easier. I have an MMX8S and TP4050 with nothing better to do. I also have metal diffs and yokes and the M2C motor mount (if it fits).
This is exactly what I am talking about. The 3s platform modders have been waiting for options to help make their cars more stable, lower and faster. The new Vendetta has a bunch of parts that will allow us to drop the chassis easily, plus open the door for more spur options. I'm actually thinking of how cool the Granite will look with the body slammed to the ground, and running in the 100's on 4s. Maybe the new platform isn't for everybody, but I'm looking forward to some pretty cool updates on my tired 3s chassis'.

That’s more like it. I’m new to speed and TP. I’ve heard from several other reliable sources that TP is hit or miss. (Unpredictable) A guy that runs in the 170’s said he stopped using TP because of having so many issues and motors not braking! He’s running Steve Neu motors now! Pricey🤨

And BTW, I recorded ripple as high as 4.77! 😬 Running 34/34, 29/34!🤷🏻‍♂️ Is it worth contacting TP about the motor?
No I have tried. I had two of the 1700kv TP4070 motors and one pulled 2x the amps of the other motor while on the KV tester. This tells me one is bad, but they (TP Power support) refused to do anything about it after many emails exchanged.

Is this setup using the XLX2? The MMX8s does have some ripple issues and needs a lot of extra capacitance added.

There are many who have run up around the 2200-2300kv range, you just need to be conservative with the gearing. Those motors need to wind up the RPMs to perform well. 34/34 is like being geared for 200 mph :eek:

You can contact them all you want but I'm not sure they'll do anything for you. The 5 mm shaft that snapped on my 4070 2250 had to be a manufacturing problem, but they wouldn't even give me a discount on a new 8 mm rotor. I'm not saying they had to replace it for free, but what they charged me is the same price as buying retail form Island HobbyNut. I've been seeing a lot of talk on the interwebs about Cordova motors, so maybe 2022 has something different on hand for my Typhon build.

You can contact them all you want but I'm not sure they'll do anything for you. The 5 mm shaft that snapped on my 4070 2250 had to be a manufacturing problem, but they wouldn't even give me a discount on a new 8 mm rotor. I'm not saying they had to replace it for free, but what they charged me is the same price as buying retail form Island HobbyNut. I've been seeing a lot of talk on the interwebs about Cordova motors, so maybe 2022 has something different on hand for my Typhon build.

I think there are some good Cordova motors out there, but they were older ones. I believe everything they sell now as of today is 35mm diameter motors. You really need larger diameters for torque production.

Probably a niche motor for drag use if I had to guess.

I think there are some good Cordova motors out there, but they were older ones. I believe everything they sell now as of today is 35mm diameter motors. You really need larger diameters for torque production.

Probably a niche motor for drag use if I had to guess.
Your right. Just checked and all the cans are listed at 1.4". Just to be clear, I'm not saying I wouldn't buy another TP, I just have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth from having a 2 month old motor snap a shaft and warranty possibilities being invisible. The power of my 2250kv is truly outstanding and I have not yet begun to find it's limits.

Your right. Just checked and all the cans are listed at 1.4". Just to be clear, I'm not saying I wouldn't buy another TP, I just have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth from having a 2 month old motor snap a shaft and warranty possibilities being invisible. The power of my 2250kv is truly outstanding and I have not yet begun to find it's limits.
There was an issue years ago with nearly all the 5mm shaft motors. People were snapping shafts all the time.
Ever since then most guys stick with 8mm shafts. Sucks to buy new pinions to fit 8mm shafts, at $20 each I know, but the plus side is they fit the limitless spool ;)

TP's product is good overall. Their service sucks, and basically no warranty. But you cannot beat the price and performance at the end of the day.

No I have tried. I had two of the 1700kv TP4070 motors and one pulled 2x the amps of the other motor while on the KV tester. This tells me one is bad, but they (TP Power support) refused to do anything about it after many emails exchanged.

Is this setup using the XLX2? The MMX8s does have some ripple issues and needs a lot of extra capacitance added.

There are many who have run up around the 2200-2300kv range, you just need to be conservative with the gearing. Those motors need to wind up the RPMs to perform well. 34/34 is like being geared for 200 mph :eek:
Yes, running the MMX8S/6s ripple killer! I have a brand new XLX2 waiting to be installed in the Infraction! 🤔 I guess I could try the 2250kv w/XLX2 in the Infraction!🤷🏻‍♂️

I was checking out Cordova myself! 😉 Its just money!👍🏼

Also I did try gearing down, like several others suggested with the 2250kv. Slow runs, over 3000’ pulls. Like I’ve said several times, if this $hit was easy, everyone would be doing speed runs.

Last edited:
Back