Speed Runners ~ How Fast Did You Go Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I made some decent passes on the weekend. Finally got the Typhon going straight. 114 and 120. But that wasn't the highlight of the day. Just watch til the end and you'll understand. Apologies for the expletive at the end. Got a bit too excited

Here's my opening bid. PB @112mph. Infraction V2 platform, Scorched RC GTC build, Delta Ford C100 body, 6S, XLX2, Castle 1717, 34/34 gearing.

1652760754244.png

1652760822501.png

1652760862018.jpeg

Good start. Focus on progressing your throttle more linear and then try to hold full throttle for at least two seconds.
You’ll pass 120 with that setup quick
Yeah, that wasn't my best trigger pull and I was a little twitchy that night, lol. That was just a quick 'n dirty first run of my new build two weeks ago on the street out front of my house on which, to be fair, I only have about 1000 feet of usable road. There's a better spot 15 minutes walk from here where I have a solid 2000 feet of space that gives me more time to ease into it and stretch the proverbial legs. I've just been dorking out on painting some new bodies and making some tweaks to the car. More speed or bust shouldn't be too far off into the future. Weather has been really nice the last weeks and it's giving the impression that this is going to be a nice summer for this part of continental Europe.

One away from my pb, and it was all uphill. Wind direction forced me to go that way. Next time......
IMG_20220517_150251.jpg

So I took the limitless GT out for a quick test run today. Getting ready for the perfect road next week.
Tweaks:
- new bearings / new tires(increased ride height)
- trimmed spoiler and extra verts

I tried running it last week with a tiny spoiler last week but then it wouldnt keep its line. Now it ran nice again. 96mph on 4S (geared for 8S) Nothing special, i didn't even film it. I was more surprised with the log:

1652817476040.png

I didn't start with full batteries(2x 4S parallel @15.6V) Peak rpm 20876 at 14.1V means it reached 100% efficiency (5840L-1460kv)

First time i've managed to do so (on a reasonable speed), it's geared mildly for 4S obviously, but still... I maintain an excel sheet with all kind relevant data of my runs and this one tops it all.

At 8S, taking extra efficiency loss and sag in account, it should be 160+ mph capable. I guess i am all set :)

So here's my log for the 123 mph pass. Had to slam on the brakes as I approached the top of the hill. So much to consume here. Horsepower, voltage, rpms and current just got all loopy at full throttle. Ripple Killer seems to be doing it's job. So is it just my battery that's holding me back or is the esc (MMX8S) choking at the top as well. Also, I hope I have the settings right for the rpms. 39300 seems about right though for a 2250kv motor on 6s geared 33/34 in the center and 13/43 front and rear. What's my next move to get over 130? Smaller spur, bigger pinion. Only have a 34t for the spur so what happens if I drop down the pinion? Help me please! So many are getting up over 130 with similar power. I know a little longer run would have maybe brought 1 or 2 mph, but I need to add 5 before I give up on this system.
1652836047498.png

Last edited:
So here's my log for the 123 mph pass. Had to slam on the brakes as I approached the top of the hill. So much to consume here. Horsepower, voltage, rpms and current just got all loopy at full throttle. Ripple Killer seems to be doing it's job. So is it just my battery that's holding me back or is the esc (MMX8S) choking at the top as well. Also, I hope I have the settings right for the rpms. 39300 seems about right though for a 2250kv motor on 6s geared 33/34 in the center and 13/43 front and rear. What's my next move to get over 130? Smaller spur, bigger pinion. Only have a 34t for the spur so what happens if I drop down the pinion? Help me please! So many are getting up over 130 with similar power. I know a little longer run would have maybe brought 1 or 2 mph, but I need to add 5 before I give up on this system.
View attachment 218221
What batteries are you running? That sag is really low.

What batteries are you running? That sag is really low.
Yep. My Achilles heel. I've got so many batteries now that the thought of buying speed run specific ones makes me cringe. These are 6800 mAh 120c batteries that are outstanding for bashing, but crumble during speedruns. Is it just a situation of batteries then? Do I have to suck it up and grab a CNHL as it seems no other battery will deliver what I need?

Yep. My Achilles heel. I've got so many batteries now that the thought of buying speed run specific ones makes me cringe. These are 6800 mAh 120c batteries that are outstanding for bashing, but crumble during speedruns. Is it just a situation of batteries then? Do I have to suck it up and grab a CNHL as it seems no other battery will deliver what I need?
I would. I have those batteries. They don’t exactly love speed runs. A good battery with 8g wire will definitely make a difference. Those have 10g. I have 2 sets of speed run batteries only. PowerHobby 6500mah 130c graphenes and the CNHL 9500mah speed runs. Have been very surprised with the PowerHobbys. I like that they are light compared to the CNHL’s. I haven’t done much back to back testing to be honest since I just crashed, again. Lol. But the PH got me 132mph and I didn’t sag like that.

I would. I have those batteries. They don’t exactly love speed runs. A good battery with 8g wire will definitely make a difference. Those have 10g. I have 2 sets of speed run batteries only. PowerHobby 6500mah 130c graphenes and the CNHL 9500mah speed runs. Have been very surprised with the PowerHobbys. I like that they are light compared to the CNHL’s. I haven’t done much back to back testing to be honest since I just crashed, again. Lol. But the PH got me 132mph and I didn’t sag like that.
Guess I'll bit the bullet and grab a CNHL 9500 since they're a bargain. Gonna suck having only one battery to run now😪

Guess I'll bit the bullet and grab a CNHL 9500 since they're a bargain. Gonna suck having only one battery to run now😪
I may grab a 6s one also. I have (2) 4s one’s. But since my current speed run car has been converted into a drift machine after the last crash I’m going to spend a few sessions at 6s with the new build to make sure everything is dialed in. It won’t go to waste. Always good to have a 6s battery for a warm up pass anyways.

https://chinahobbyline.com/collecti...0mah-22-2v-6s-70c-lipo-battery-with-xt90-plug

Put different plug on this one. These packs do great. I’m pushing mine that’s been thru a ton of runs and dumb stuff I’ve done to it.
The 6000 is even better but adds a bit to the size,

@Notorious J
I tested some of the speed run batteries directly compared with the 70c packs
The 70c came out on top everytime.
I did 8s testing but the 9500mah 120c packs have a different chemical makeup.

I ran 9500 4sx2 on 8s with my limitless last year,
Got a handful of low 140 runs.
First run with two 6000’ packs I did 150 in the same car, ended up heating them and got to 155
Just got advice from Mike Tempel. He said G+ 70 6000
🔥yup great great option

@Notorious J
I tested some of the speed run batteries directly compared with the 70c packs
The 70c came out on top everytime.
I did 8s testing but the 9500mah 120c packs have a different chemical makeup.

I ran 9500 4sx2 on 8s with my limitless last year,
Got a handful of low 140 runs.
First run with two 6000’ packs I did 150 in the same car, ended up heating them and got to 155

🔥yup great great option
Thanks to slowrcmike2022, got $25 off two batteries and free shipping! They never give free shipping to Canadians🤣

Back